Just in case someone is interested:

I downloaded this free ereader last night from Barnes and Noble. It is user friendly and you get four books free, which I thought was very nice. Pride and Prejudice, Little Women, Dracula and Merriam Webster's Dictionary.

Enter this link from your bb browser to install it.

Barnes and Noble Ereader Mobile Download

They have lots of other titles to choose from for purchase, over 300 under $5. I read late into the evening and really enjoyed the software. I can't always remember to bring a book when I head out somewhere, but I know I am not leaving without my bb
    08-06-09 10:25 AM
    I'm sticking with eReader. Since the B&N can't import my eReader library.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 11:21 AM
    I'm sticking with eReader. Since the B&N can't import my eReader library.

While the topic is right, may I ask you what's your eReader? I'd love to read books on my 8900. Can somebody advise me on what's the best eReader, and most important of all, FREE? I don't have a cc.... so buying anything online is out of the question for me
    08-06-09 02:13 PM
    Not sure if it's just me but I also got in addition to what you listed Benjamin Button.
    08-06-09 02:20 PM
    Thanks for sharing - I will definitely dl. I usually read on my iPod Touch but sometimes I don't have it with me. But as brook196 says I am never w/o my BB
    08-06-09 02:43 PM
    Not sure if it's just me but I also got in addition to what you listed Benjamin Button.
    I did get that one as well. You can also get free trials (small snipets) on just about any book they have. I like the 'try before you buy' idea.
    08-06-09 02:59 PM
    I did get that one as well. You can also get free trials (small snipets) on just about any book they have. I like the 'try before you buy' idea.
    Who has the free samples, B&N? I don't think I want the whole book but I'd try samples to see if I wanna buy the book at the store. My wife uses an Amazon Kindle and reads the samples all the time on that.
    08-06-09 04:06 PM
    so i downloaded the b&n app but i can't find a way to change the font color or background color. i cant see the text. anyone know where to change it? in options they just have size and font options.
    08-06-09 05:36 PM
    Who has the free samples, B&N? I don't think I want the whole book but I'd try samples to see if I wanna buy the book at the store. My wife uses an Amazon Kindle and reads the samples all the time on that.
    B&N has the samples.
    08-06-09 07:26 PM
    Thanks for the tip!

08-06-09 08:15 PM
    While the topic is right, may I ask you what's your eReader? I'd love to read books on my 8900. Can somebody advise me on what's the best eReader, and most important of all, FREE? I don't have a cc.... so buying anything online is out of the question for me
    Originially a Palm PDA only product, it prolifirated through the smartphone market from WM, to BlackBerry.

It has free eBooks available for download, and also for purchase, if you do not have a credit/debit card, a very easy way of rectifying that is through a master-card gift-card, most are re-chargeable, and can be used for on-line payments.

I saw them when buying a regular gift card at Walgreens I believe.

ebooks for your iPhone, Windows Mobile Pocket PC and Smartphone, Palm Treo and Centro or Symbian Mobile Phones - Over 60,000 Titles and counting!

or the Barnes and Noble Reader that the OP is talking about. Both got free eBooks.
    08-06-09 10:55 PM
    I've been downloading books for years on mobile devices. Fictionwise.com & ereader.com use what was the old Palm reader, brought up to date. B&N owns Fictionwise, but the e-readers are not (yet) compatible. Mobipocket.com also has very good reader, and Fictionwise also has e-books in that format. Mobipocket is in beta for the Storm, and needs work, but is great on the Curve models. The E-Reader from Fictionwise works great on my Storm. Prices for e-books are very reasonable.
    Baen.com also has a great selection of Sci-Fi and fantasy e-books, well worth a look.
    Hope this helps........
    08-06-09 11:07 PM
    what are the common formats of the ebooks? i mean, is it *.txt or *.pdf or something else?
    08-07-09 10:46 AM
    thanks, will be downloading it asap
    08-07-09 11:08 AM
    I dl it on Saturday. The free books are stored on the memory card in pdb files, about 650-1000 kb per book. You can go to Media and explore and find them and delete them if you want. You can only open them using the B&N app you install. Pretty cool considering I thought you couldn't access stuff on the card like that. The dictionary is nice. The books are easy enough to read, although I am not interested in that. On the Kindle you can get newpapers for .50 which I like when I'm in a hotel room. No pix but nicely organized. Beats heading to the lobby.
    08-10-09 04:05 PM
    Thanks! Going to dl it now!

08-11-09 06:23 PM
    Ok - Is it just me? I have installed, removed, re-installed, re-started & battery pulled & I still can not get the free online books that come with the app .

I can see the 4 books listed in my online library but whenever I try to dl them I get a msg that says "Download failed for...(whichever book I tried to dl)".

Has anyone else had this problem or am I just not destined to have this app ?
    08-11-09 11:00 PM
    I've had this problem, but not with those free ebooks. Instead, I can't download Google Public Domain books that I get through B&N. They appear in the "Online Library" but d/l to my 8900 always fails. The workaround is to use the desktop version of the ereader to d/l them, which works, and then put them on the BB via USB. They're aware of the problem and are working on a fix.

I'd like to see Amazon release a Kindle app for the BB. I've read several books on my 8900, using the B&N and Mobipocket apps, and to my surprise the experience isn't bad at all. The key is to jack the font size up to 40 or more pixels. When I do that I can read comfortably, taking in text in screenfulls--at that size there are 7 lines per screen, and 4 or 5 words per line, so about 30 words per screen. I thought reading books on the 8900 would cause eyestrain, but it tly doesn't. It's much better than using my laptop, probably because the laptop screen, being much bigger, delivers too much backlight to my eyes.

Anyway, if Amazon made a Kindle app for the BB (any BB) I'd buy a Kindle and use the BB as a backup reader, the way many iPhone users already do.

Btw, the BB app for Shortcovers doesn't let you enlarge the font as much, so I don't use it anymore.

Ubizmo

08-18-09 08:51 AM
    I downloaded the B&N eReader yesterday on my Pearl, and although support for the Pearl 8130 is listed, it did not work well. The setup way easy, but trying to download the library took several minutes, and even after it looked like it had completed it took several minutes to open a book. It was painfully slow.
    I'd recommend against getting this on the Pearl.
    08-31-09 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD