Looks like another format war is brewing. I was planning to buy a Kindle 2 soon but now I'm gonna watch from the sidelines until a victor is declared. But if I had to bet, I bet Amazon will eventually be forced to support other ebook formats and allow other devices to read Kindle ebooks.

Looks like even B&N may not have settled on a format. They apparently use .pdb and .prc but news reports are saying that they will support epub too. Anyone get ebooks from B&N yet? What format are they in? I would think that the free Google Books are in epub (would make sense). Are they?
    Last edited by yeahman; 07-21-09 at 10:26 AM.
    07-21-09 10:22 AM
    I just downloaded the B&N eReader and it is amazing. I'm not sure about the format, but I really like the application. I've been waiting for an ebook program for BlackBerry for some time now. Not only is it fast and convenient, but the prices are a lot lower than what I have seen with other ebook providers. With a membership, you are paying even less.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 10:38 AM
    OK just tested it out. Doesn't support epub yet. The free Google books are also in pdb format. Google books are pretty poor quality anyway. I prefer the Project Gutenberg books (which are available in lots of different formats including pdb).

Looks like B&N has a smaller selection than Amazon though they say they're adding lots of new books. Amazon ebooks seem as cheap or cheaper than B&N ebooks though B&N is still at least competitive. So looks like B&N is banking on device neutrality as its way of competing with Amazon.
    Last edited by yeahman; 07-21-09 at 11:14 AM.
    07-21-09 11:11 AM
    I have a question, I have been using Mobipocket Ebook reader for a couple of years and it uses .prc files. Does anyone know if my current ebooks will work with the B&N e-reader, since they have the same file extention? I like mobipocket, but I don't get any support from them and they seem to ignore any requests for new features that would make the program more user friendly. Not that its hard to use, because its not, but organizing your books is impossible.
    07-21-09 03:52 PM
    bumping it up, I need an answer.
    07-21-09 10:30 PM
    Why don't you install it any try it?
    My guess: If your prc files are DRM protected, they won't be readable on the B&N eReader.

We are in the DRM **** right now when it comes to ebooks. Hope it all gets sorted out soon. ****, I'd even pay more for DRM-free epub ebooks.
    07-21-09 11:34 PM
    I didn't install it, because I thought if someone else had already installed it I could learn a few things before I tried...duh!
    07-21-09 11:52 PM
    I've used ereader and mobipocket. I tend to like mobipocket better, as you can change the font size, color and the background color. This is good for reading at night - you can make the background black and the text white, and it's easier on your eyes and doen't give off the glow of a flashlight, which may bother other people.
    Ereader makes you "unlock" each book that you download, using the full credit card number and name on the card. If you are like me, I don't always carry these with me. It's a pain if you are on a trip, and go to read the new book you downloaded prior to leaving. You can't access it, because that particular bank card is at home.
    I'm always open to new apps, so I've downloaded B&N ereader. We'll see how it compares to the others.
    07-22-09 12:11 AM
    I've used ereader and mobipocket. I tend to like mobipocket better, as you can change the font size, color and the background color. This is good for reading at night - you can make the background black and the text white, and it's easier on your eyes and doen't give off the glow of a flashlight, which may bother other people.
    Ereader makes you "unlock" each book that you download, using the full credit card number and name on the card. If you are like me, I don't always carry these with me. It's a pain if you are on a trip, and go to read the new book you downloaded prior to leaving. You can't access it, because that particular bank card is at home.
    I'm always open to new apps, so I've downloaded B&N ereader. We'll see how it compares to the others.

Yeah, see that is an issue with me. Once I buy something, I don't think I should be bothered with having to enter a bunch of unlock BS. This is one of the reasons that digital media (ebooks) have not established a larger following. I am a huge reader and once I buy a paper back I can read it any damn time I like, and so can my wife or son..... my personal love of ebooks, is that since I read so much, I can carry a virtual library with me at all times. I guess I will just have to download it and compare it to mobipocket......

Thanks for your reply.
    07-22-09 12:33 AM
    I have downloaded the B&N ereader. It's the same as the reader from ereader.com/fictionwise.com. Same menu structure, same options and same DRM.

ereader from Fictionwise
    version 1.0.30
    size = 983,156
    installed = 3 June 2009

B&N ereader
    version 1.0.0
    size = 1,167,456
    installed = 22 June 2009

I tested the B&N ereader with a DRM locked ebook purchased from ereader.com and fictionwise.com. The B&N ereader will accept and decrypt these ebooks from ereader.com

I tested with a plain *.prc or *.pdb file. Both ereader.com and B&N ebook readers could not read the ebooks and assumed it was DRM locked (and when you entered nothing - it spat out an error message (that is why I am still using Isilo to read pdb formats. Don't like Mobipocket reader).

Bear in mind that B&N did have a ebook reader with DRM which they had turfed. Recently (like 8 months ago) B&N purchased ereader.com (which in turn had purchased fictionwise.com before that).
    In effect, the B&N has a library made up of Fictionwise and Ereader libraries.

Just as a point of observation, it would be a good idea if B&N ereader and ereader.com reader kept a consistent version numbering given that it is the same reader with a different front end and perhaps - default viewer.

I suspect the iphone ebook reader from B&N will be the same as ereader.com version too...
    07-22-09 12:56 AM
    I didn't install it, because I thought if someone else had already installed it I could learn a few things before I tried...duh!
    Wouldn't generally be a fan of seriously reading a book on a small BlackBerry screen but the idea that I could was enough to get me to attempt the download.

Hated it. Removed it within minutes of installing it.

SLOW. Cumbersome. Nothing I liked about it.
    07-22-09 01:03 AM
    downloaded...wouldn't open....removed
    07-22-09 04:59 AM
    I love to read so I guess I will be taking the plunge. Thanks for the info already posted.
    07-22-09 06:02 AM
    ok well I am really green about this ebook thing but I love love to read. I downloaded the B&N reader and I downloaded the dictionary but I have no clue where it downloaded to or how to access it...need help thanks
    07-22-09 08:32 AM
    I do a lot of reading. I have been using MobiPocket since I carried a Casio BE-300 years and years ago, then on my Dell Axim before my BB. The nice thing about the Mobipoclet format is that all you need to do is update the on the site where you purchased your ebook with the new device ID and re-download the book to the new device. Switching DRM is pretty easy.

I've also tried eReader and like it as well. The interesting thing about the eReader format is that the DRM code is specific the to ebook and not the device. So you can move the ebook to another device and just enter the name and code. Once you've entered the code into that device, you usually don't have to enter it again for that ebook.

I also have a Kindle (1st generation) and probably read on that more than anything these days. The Kindle format is just a mocked-up MobiPocket version. It would be nice if they opened up the format, or made it so that you could read DRM'd Mobipoclet files on the Kindle, but that hasn't happened yet.

I think we will probably see the Mobipoclet software updated to include the Kindle format before we see eReader or other apps including Kindle or MobiPocket formats. This is mainly due to Amazon owning Mobipocket. Amazon has already said they were working on having the Kindle format on other devices (besides iDevices) .

It would really be nice to have one reader app that could read all the formats.
    07-22-09 09:07 AM
    ok well I am really green about this ebook thing but I love love to read. I downloaded the B&N reader and I downloaded the dictionary but I have no clue where it downloaded to or how to access it...need help thanks
    eReader books have to go into the \ereader folder. If you don't have one already, you will need to create one in the root directory of your SD card.
    07-22-09 09:08 AM
    Well I went ahead and installed it....I hated it. Slow, wouldn't let me open any of my existing ebooks (I thought this was supposed to be a multi format deal), and I have now uninstalled it. I will just stick with Mobipocket for now.
    07-22-09 10:01 AM
    Lets be honest here and call it as it is - Ebook readers on the blackberry are still in a primitive stage compared to iphone and other readers.

I liken the current ebook readers on the blackberry with Palm OS in the 1990's. Primitive and have a long way to evolve.

I do not consider B&N ereader/fictionwise ereader, Mobipocket, Isilo or any other reader on the BB to be satisfactory. I use them only because it could read the format of ebook (DRM locked or pdb), not for the features (and none of them have all the features you'd find on other current platforms).

To say that one reader is better than the other on the blackberry is bit like the joke about winning an argument on the internet...
    07-22-09 06:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD