I am interested in learning what the best-of-class software utility is for TOTALLY backing up a BlackBerry (a 9650 in my case). Beyond what RIM's desktop software does with just (only) data and settings and such.

I'd like to be able to back up to desktop or device, ideally. Not looking to back up to the clouds. It should also be software that keeps up with the latest Operating Systems 5 and soon, 6. Something that would simply restore with the applications in place, activated, ready to run.

In the past I used Windows Mobile smartphones with utility software that would completely back up the entire phone, including 3rd party applications, the OS, activations, data, everything. I know that there is a roundabout way to use the RIM's desktop software, but it seems klunky and possibly unreliable.

So, what do you use and recommend and why? Especially software that you've used in successfullyrestoring... Thanks!
    08-20-10 03:34 PM
    I have also asked this question, as I used to have Treos, and NV Backup backed EVERYTHING up to the exact state that existed, prior to wiping or doing a "hard" reset. I have been told that there is no such solution for the Blackberry - something that is hard to believe, considering how long they've been around.
    08-20-10 04:02 PM
    I'm a former Treo user as well, and yes it's hard to believe that there's no equivalent to NVBackup for the Blackberry, but it's true.
    08-20-10 04:13 PM
    wow!

I would think there'd be a substantial market for a capable back up utility - one that can completely restore.

Is there some technical reason this cannot be accomplished? If so, what are they?

I can understand there being issues for backing up applications, for instance, under OS 5 and then trying to restore to into the new OS 6. But that's not what I'm looking to do.
    08-20-10 05:18 PM
    Security is the reason. That is RIM's biggest selling point. Backup to the card means that even if the device were wiped remotely, someone could remove the card and get sensitive data. As for an image backup to a computer I think that's a Java issue. Though the 3rd party app back up procedure seems cumbersome, I find it works very well. Also, since memory isn't volatile, only a complete device crash will result in lost data without a backup.
    08-20-10 05:50 PM
    Security is the reason. That is RIM's biggest selling point. Backup to the card means that even if the device were wiped remotely, someone could remove the card and get sensitive data. As for an image backup to a computer I think that's a Java issue. Though the 3rd party app back up procedure seems cumbersome, I find it works very well. Also, since memory isn't volatile, only a complete device crash will result in lost data without a backup.
    You bring up a good point about security which is indeed of concern for some (at the level of RIM's approach). But not everyone shares RIM's perspective. e.g., To me, it should be an individual's choice where to have back up data stored, and in any event, there are decent ways to encrypt back ups. More and more people and institutions share sensitive data and back ups in the Cloud - not my preference, but still, there's now a lot of Cloud data floating around.

With the Windows Mobile back up software, or even for something like the old Dell Axims, I could back up to an SD or Compact Flash card that I could safely keep off the device after the back up was completed. That file itself could be encrypted by a variety of means and then stored in a safe deposit box, or guarded by a dobermans or whatever... http://images.crackberry.com/forum_i...lies/smile.gif

I would much like to have the convenience of a single (encryption-capable) utility that, if nothing else, could back up to my notebook or desktop. I'm not concerned about my backups being accessed given other safeguards I have in place.

RIM's software comes close to useful (it is for the data), but is cumbersome enough that it is a showstopper for routine use, especially for those who are not inclined to get under the hood (as would be the case with many business colleagues I know). For those highly concerned about security, there could be a back up option that might lock a restore to a particular device, such as is done with latching DVR's to their hard drives. I would imagine that if RIM's software comes close, hopefully some developer could take it across the goal line.
    08-20-10 06:15 PM
    Old Palm Treo user here too -- I really miss those automatic, full backups to memory card. I can't remember if I used NVBackup or what, but I know that you could factory reset and still run the program from the card to restore from any number of backups. If something bad happened far from my computer, I was still back in business in minutes.

As mentioned here, there must be a good reason; I know that's the first thing I looked for when I moved to a BB. Maybe someday... until then I just have to remember to backup once in a while.
    08-21-10 12:52 AM
    @DrummerCT1. I agree on user preference for security. I read in the blogs here that RIM my create a parallel security setup. One for consumer, one for enterprise. Until then we just have to use what's available.

I came over from the Sony Clie and programs to back everything up to my MS. On several occasion, I had a hard reset on the device, and I could just restore everything from the memory card.
    08-21-10 07:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD