I just did a backup for my 3rd party applications for my bold 9700 exactly the same like crackberry explained it and i saved the folder with the name of my PIN and the Pin.alx file in 1 folder, now when i want to reload the 3rd party applications on my bold, it gives me "the file is not compatible with ur device" eventhough i did backup from the same phone which is bold 9700 OS 5.0!! is there a way to fix that ?! pls help :/
    05-21-10 05:09 AM
    Is there a way of changing the existing backup... my guess, no. Did you follow the instructions exactly? I just used the restore last night after I had to wipe my device, so I know it works. The link to the instructions are in my signature below.
    05-21-10 05:52 AM
    Yeah i followed the instructions exactly... and it worked fine. But when i try to backup again they give me "not compatible with this device" eventhough i took them from same phone ! maybe because i upgraded my OS from 5.0.0.321 to 5.0.0.593?
    05-21-10 06:28 AM
    Yeah i followed the instructions exactly... and it worked fine. But when i try to backup again they give me "not compatible with this device" eventhough i took them from same phone ! maybe because i upgraded my OS from 5.0.0.321 to 5.0.0.593?
    I'm sure this was a mistake by saying "But when i try to backup again"... you meant to say when you tried to restore them again.... right ???

Ok... the OS will make absolutely NO difference. Like I was saying earlier, I changed OS versions on mine and after I wiped my device I restore from a different OS backup. It does work that way.

So you backed up your 3rd party apps when you had OS .321 on your device... then after some time you upgraded to .593... and I'm curious... WHY restore your 3rd party apps??? They should have all been there after a normal upgrade. The reason I used my backup was because I was going to a older OS version and wanted to wipe my device first.
    05-21-10 06:40 AM
    You can use BBSAK to install the .cod files.

I can't get BBDM to back up my third party apps reliably anymore. If it backs up any at all, it only gets 2 or 3. It used to work, now it doesn't. I now use BBSAK exclusively for 3rd party app backup/restoration.
    05-21-10 08:47 AM
    well fatboy97... what i did first time is that i backed up all the 3rd application i had (around 40) apps lol.. then afterwards i deleted the apps manually from the one so that it wont lagg anyone.. later on i updated my OS version and wanted to restore back the 3rd apps again but it couldnt work! ill try BBSAK i hope it'll work with me...ill come back with feedback! thanks alot guys
    05-21-10 09:56 AM
    I just tried BBSAK and it worked smooothly thanks alot Aerowinder u are a life saver tcc
    05-21-10 10:20 AM
    You can use BBSAK to install the .cod files.

I can't get BBDM to back up my third party apps reliably anymore. If it backs up any at all, it only gets 2 or 3. It used to work, now it doesn't. I now use BBSAK exclusively for 3rd party app backup/restoration.
    I had an experience whereby I attempted to restore my apps [from my most recent backup] using DM and all I got restored was my DocsToGo and all their related subfiles. I happened to check the contents of the folder and all it contained was 9 files (including the .alx file). Fortunately, I kept all of my prior backups in my recycle bin for the last several months. I opened a previous backup and found 101 files; I opened another backup folder and found 18 files; yet another had 84; and another had 52. I haven't added, deleted or made any changes to any of my loaded apps since November, but yet, of the 7 backup folders I've retained, 4 of them contain less than the 101 files that should be in there.

I guess it would behoove one to check the contents of their backup folder after creating a backup and to keep previous backups in a separate location after creating a new one. Had I not been so anal as to not empty my recycle bin 'just in case', I'd be having a nervous breakdown right now.

I'm pretty fed-up with RIM and DM. The inconsistencies are driving me nuts. I'm lucky if I'm able to get an operation to perform in the same manner twice in succession. I'm gonna install BBSAK and use that for all future backups / restorations.
    06-02-10 03:07 PM
    I had an experience whereby I attempted to restore my apps [from my most recent backup] using DM and all I got restored was my DocsToGo and all their related subfiles. I happened to check the contents of the folder and all it contained was 9 files (including the .alx file). Fortunately, I kept all of my prior backups in my recycle bin for the last several months. I opened a previous backup and found 101 files; I opened another backup folder and found 18 files; yet another had 84; and another had 52. I haven't added, deleted or made any changes to any of my loaded apps since November, but yet, of the 7 backup folders I've retained, 4 of them contain less than the 101 files that should be in there.
    This is most likely because you had previous back ups in the same location (recycle bin), so DM only recognizes the newest additions and or updates, and ignores the rest.

See it here: How To: Backup and Restore All Installed 3rd Party Apps - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

•After the 3rd party backups have been restored, move, rename or delete the folder you pointed to using the "Add" feature in DM. Failure to do so will cause subsequent backups to skip any application that was contained in the original backup. See the note below.

Note: If you ever use one of these backups to restore an app or multiple apps back to your device you'll need to move the folder to a new location after restoring. If you leave it in the same location then the next time you perform this backup procedure any apps included in the original will not be backed up in the temp/yourpin folder since they are already recognized by Desktop Manager as being in another location. So, after restoring your app(s) simply move the pin folder to a new location, rename it or delete it.

Hope this helps.
    06-02-10 03:36 PM
    MADBRADNYC, thanks for the response. You're awesome! Your tip was right on the mark! I was on the verge of 'losing-it'. I renamed the folders, and voila, all works fine now. THANKS!

On a side note, there's still a couple of things that has me befuddled: 1) Why did this characteristic of DM wait until I upgraded to 5.01 to reveal itself? 2) Why doesn't it do it on a more consistent basis, subsequent to each restore?

I've noticed other anomalies with DM as well: 1) On certain occasions, my radio will be disabled upon conclusion of a backup. 2) Creating a backup on two different machines using the same version of DM yields different results, e.g., on my desktop, I get 107 files; while on my laptop, I get 95 files. The 12 file difference amounts to the the laptop not backing-up 4 modules of my DocumentsToGo application.

Despite the fact that I've figured-out my major DM woes, and the others are so trivial, they're not worth a second thought - I've vowed to continue using BBSAK rather than DM. Many thanks to AEROWINDER for unwittingly turning-me-on to BBSAK. This CB forum is da bomb!
    06-02-10 11:21 PM
    MADBRADNYC, thanks for the response. You're awesome! Your tip was right on the mark! I was on the verge of 'losing-it'. I renamed the folders, and voila, all works fine now. THANKS!
    NP. Glad it worked for you.

1) Why did this characteristic of DM wait until I upgraded to 5.01 to reveal itself?
    IDK. Not sure. Lucky I guess, or maybe you may have not noticed it happening, as you still had the same apps, but they may have not always been updated versions from your most recent backups. The post in that link is 3 years old. Many users have known about this problem for quite a while. I had this issue over 2 years ago with a WinXP PC using the old 4x DM's when I learned about it. It appears to have the same problems on Vista.

2) Why doesn't it do it on a more consistent basis, subsequent to each restore?
    Yes. DM is funny in a way that sometimes it can find things, and other times it cannot. I think it may have more to do with the MSWinX structure than DM itself. But, I am not an expert. I only keep 1 single (1) third party back up file on my computer at any given time. Just before I do another 3rd party backup (after upgrading some apps), I delete the previous one, and empty my recycle bin, and keep the newest one until I'm ready to do it again.

1) On certain occasions, my radio will be disabled upon conclusion of a backup.
    Actually this should happen every time you perform a 3rd party apps backup when you have OTA apps installed. It disables the radio to search for wirelessly delivered applications. They (the apps) cannot/should not be able to access the internet while the backup of the apps are in progress. Similar to the SD card being inaccessible when you plug your BB into a PC.

2) Creating a backup on two different machines using the same version of DM yields different results, e.g., on my desktop, I get 107 files; while on my laptop, I get 95 files. The 12 file difference amounts to the the laptop not backing-up 4 modules of my DocumentsToGo application.
    Have you deleted, altered or renamed the DTG .ALX file on your PC? This may be the cause of the difference. When I go for a new OS the ONLY thing I do is delete the vendor.XML file, and the DTG .ALX file. The vendor file is obvious, but since I want to keep the most current version of DTG, I delete the .ALX file, so DTG is treated like a 3rd party app, and can be backed up with the rest of the apps when I upgrade via apploader. IDK. Maybe this is the cause for the difference.

I've vowed to continue using BBSAK rather than DM.
    I tried BBSAK a looooong time ago, but did not like how it broke up all of my modules. It's too hard to see/find what you want to delete. Mistakes can be hazardous! Some swear by it though. I only use DM for general backups, 3rd party backups, or reinstalling data like a corrupt address book or something. I really only use apploader to install/reinstall an OS or third party apps.

All the best!

Brad.
    06-02-10 11:57 PM
    Have you deleted, altered or renamed the DTG .ALX file on your PC? This may be the cause of the difference. When I go for a new OS the ONLY thing I do is delete the vendor.XML file, and the DTG .ALX file. The vendor file is obvious, but since I want to keep the most current version of DTG, I delete the .ALX file, so DTG is treated like a 3rd party app, and can be backed up with the rest of the apps when I upgrade via apploader. IDK. Maybe this is the cause for the difference.
    I have not deleted or modified the DTG.alx files on either machine. I think I like your practice and I'm going to explore doing that in the future so that it can be backed-up and restored 'as is' like the other 3rd party apps. Thanks for the tip!

While the ammunition still exists to complain about the inconsistencies of DM - in all fairness - I must withdraw my complaints and frustration as the inconsistencies proved to be in my favor. Thanks for the explanations!

While I don't think I'm savvy enough [and too intimidated] to exploit the full capabilities of BBSAK, I think I'm going to use it to perform an app backup in conjunction with DM in case the latter decides to go on strike. If I were to lose all of my apps, I'd have to be hospitalized for a few days. Lol
    06-03-10 01:20 PM
    I have not deleted or modified the DTG.alx files on either machine.
    Wow. Sorry... At this point I'm at a loss then my friend. I tried.

I think I like your practice and I'm going to explore doing that in the future so that it can be backed-up and restored 'as is' like the other 3rd party apps. Thanks for the tip!
    NP. Just pay it forward to someone else here that has a problem you have encountered & fixed in the past.

While the ammunition still exists to complain about the inconsistencies of DM - in all fairness - I must withdraw my complaints and frustration as the inconsistencies proved to be in my favor. Thanks for the explanations!
    I hear ya...

While I don't think I'm savvy enough [and too intimidated] to exploit the full capabilities of BBSAK, I think I'm going to use it to perform an app backup in conjunction with DM in case the latter decides to go on strike.
    A lot of users do this as well. It's always good to have a "back up plan". No pun intended.
    If I were to lose all of my apps, I'd have to be hospitalized for a few days. Lol
    Say it again player!!! You, me, and the other 1 million users here. lol.
    06-03-10 04:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD