I thought I would start this thread for "app" enthusiasts and "app" lovers in general!

What APPS....PROGRAMS.....GAMES etc are you looking most forward to?

Remember we are on the verge of a new platform launch.with a potential that is "more diverse then any other OS in the consumer market period!"

The skies the limits......so share your thoughts....expressions and excitement for the platform!

I'll start with an informative post I made in another forum, however looked at it as being a catalyst to a great thread...enjoy!

As far as native apps are concerned....what isn't possible on other platforms will be made possible on "tablet os"....very very advanced programs can run on this tab...I trust that very talented dev's will find this platform a great avenue to leverage their full potential and abilities.....

An example of this for the NDK would be TAT

TAT are amongst the best and brightest in the industry....where their potential would be limited on ios,windows or android....many more avenues of opprotunity are opened for them on this platform...to utterly exploit every ounce of their talent....this platform is a dream come true for them!

Trust, that when you are very talented and brilliant..you will look for the platform with the most potential....this is where the native NDK will shine!

Now as far as VM's and emulation is concerned...

Tablet os(QNX) is POSIX certified..not to be confused with POSIX compliant....

What that means is that QNX pays for POSIX certification...which is essentialy stamping the OS with approval, of having every possible port for anything Linux or Unix...this enables anything portable and desktop to be quickly ported and reformatted to PB(QNX in general)

People were skeptical of having android apps on PB...but the truth is everything Linux/Unix can opperate on PB with it being a minor add on for an engineer...due to this ability being baked into the OS architecture....ios is based on Linux...so look out!

Now on to VM's and emulators...QNX was designed with VM's and emulator support at the heart of it.....This reason being...that in many cases industries such as the medical field...run their software in the form of emulators...Another huge ace up RIM's sleeve is that...QNX has many upon many certifications to do so! So any anxieties about performance issues should be made N/A!

Now globaly....Linux/Unix os usage is massive...so as far as apps go!!!I wouln't be surprised if RIM has the most abundant ecosystem globaly in very short order!!!!!!

Not a question of if! But a matter of when!

Rim has the reach of nearly every dev community on earth....now if a fraction of each community supports the ecosytem....the sheer collective whole is much greater then the sum of each part!

Believe me! A lot of heads are gonna turn!

Look to the Tiny Hippo's acq...to bring there domestic support to RIM's dev team..but on a deeper scale they will help RIM to develop PREMIER software for devs...in the for of emulators, simulators, de-bugging software and sdk's in general! Rim is going from worst to first in this regard to an untouchable level! Cool eh???lol

Those were some random realistic potentials I thought I would share...share yours...

Personaly I want "desktop caliber programs"....they'll surely come!woohoo!

QNX>ios/windows mobile 7/android.....so....SKIES THE LIMITS!!!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-28-11 at 01:14 AM.
    03-27-11 08:05 PM
    Call me lame, but so long as we get an MLB At Bat app that looks and operates as nicely as the iPad equivalent, I'll be happy... the Internet can cover the rest. That's not exactly to say I don't want apps for web services (apps for websites are still great in my book purely for convenience - a dedicated FB app, for example), though... that's the only uber-specific one I can think of at the moment.
    03-27-11 08:09 PM
    +1 on the MLB At Bat app - was just talking about this last night at a poker game...and speaking of which, lets get some GOOD poker apps too!
    03-27-11 08:20 PM
    I am so loving me some Playbook right now! The added ability to run the Android apps is so going to cut into the Android tablet marketshare this year. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Android as far as the phones go, I've been using a DROID ever since it came out almost two years ago, but can't say that I like the tablets. The Playbook is the one which looks to me like is going to be a great seller for RIM, a great tablet and with the addition of running Android apps that increases its cache in the marketplace. Just don't know that I'll be able to afford one when it releases though.
    03-27-11 08:39 PM
    How about Audacity? Or perhaps sun's JDK could be ported over (you can get it for Linux/Unix) and we could make and compile/run Java Programs ON THE PLAYBOOK!!! That would be cool.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-11 08:50 PM
    How about Audacity? Or perhaps sun's JDK could be ported over (you can get it for Linux/Unix) and we could make and compile/run Java Programs ON THE PLAYBOOK!!! That would be cool.
    In the same announcement for Android apps on Playbook, they also announced Java Apps so Blackberry phone apps would run too. It is Sun's JDK (J2ME) with Blackberry extensions.
    03-27-11 08:59 PM
    With all of my enthusiasm.....I tend to at times .... forget that "tablet os" is an RTOS(real time os)

Imagine the possibilities of apps and programs(that can't exist on other platforms) running in real time!!!!!that's just COOL!
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-27-11 at 10:47 PM.
    03-27-11 10:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD