Anybody know of any decent, recent, astronomy software? I have seen people mention
    both micro sky and starry night. Problem with micro sky is I have a bold with 4.6 and it
    doesn't fill the screen and looks pretty naff. Starry night looks good but the gps doesn't
    work making it next to useless....Would be nice to have something that could show you
    the sky and lots of other interesting points, constellations etc for someone with.a general
    Interest. Anybody got any ideas? Or ideas of software released in the near future...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 12:41 PM
    nope, I'm in that field and I'm always checking for apps but they have no love for us. the only ones I've ever been able to find are those two starry night and microsky.
    03-19-09 04:05 PM
    I've wondered about this myself, but have yet to try the starru night and microsky yet. Judging from your comments, its probably not worth it.

Hopefully someone will come up with something good for the bold.

03-19-09 04:13 PM
    I've wondered about this myself, but have yet to try the starru night and microsky yet. Judging from your comments, its probably not worth it.

Hopefully someone will come up with something good for the bold.

Starry night looked good.... But without the working gps it was pointless.... Microsky was even worse. But I guess its a bit old...

03-19-09 06:23 PM
    I'm not sure why your gps isn't working, try refreshing the gps on your phone in options. mine has always worked. maybe it's a bold problem?

honestly, people are too busy making useless apps for BB like they have been for iphones... I doubt we'll be seeing any real good software for astronomy for a while.
    03-19-09 06:57 PM
    I'm not sure why your gps isn't working, try refreshing the gps on your phone in options. mine has always worked. maybe it's a bold problem?

honestly, people are too busy making useless apps for BB like they have been for iphones... I doubt we'll be seeing any real good software for astronomy for a while.
    I tried all that at the time... Maybe to do with bold or OS

03-20-09 04:24 AM
    Anybody know of any decent, recent, astronomy software? I have seen people mention
    both micro sky and starry night. Problem with micro sky is I have a bold with 4.6 and it
    doesn't fill the screen and looks pretty naff. Starry night looks good but the gps doesn't
    work making it next to useless....Would be nice to have something that could show you
    the sky and lots of other interesting points, constellations etc for someone with.a general
    Interest. Anybody got any ideas? Or ideas of software released in the near future...

Have you tried messing with your screen/display options? I don't know what options you have on the bold.

I like microsky. It's better than nothing at all.

When I look at the stars, I wish I had 10,000 lifetimes to explore them all, and discover all their wonders.
    03-20-09 05:36 AM
    Which would be the better of these two programs?
    03-20-09 06:27 PM
    I have a Curve with 4.5 OS and both of these apps work well for me. Starry Night is more basic and will give you N, S, E, and W perspectives of the sky but the sky maps are not as detailed as MicroSky. MicroSky is an awesome app that allows you to pull sky maps from many perspectives. They are also sharper and more detailed than Starry Night. I feel Starry Night is a great beginners app but that MicroSky is for more advanced star gazing.

03-20-09 10:29 PM
    I'm on this thread a few days late, but I wanted to jump in. I'm an amateur astronomer from way back and a former Treo user. I have to say that I really miss the excellent Planetarium program that I had on my Treo. One of the things that I researched prior to buying a Storm was the availability of such a program. I heard that Starry Night was available so I was happy. Unfortunately, it is not optimized for the Storm and doesn't work well at all. I wrote the software company and they said that, since they don't sell the mobile version of their software, it's not a high priority, so don't hold your breath. Likewise, MicroSky is very buggy and difficult to use.

To rub salt in my wound, a friend with an iPhone showed me his astronomy app and it is wonderful... the best I've seen on any mobile device. It works with all the iPhone features like the accelerometer and GPS and gives wonderful views of the night sky.

I emailed the guy who wrote the iPhone software to see if he's planning a BB version. He didn't bother to write back. I called the guy who writes the Palm software and he's simply not interested. Until someone with an astronomy bent decides to write something for BB's I think we're out of luck. I'm really disappointed - almost enough to switch platforms again. I guess I'll hold my breath for a while.

If anybody hears of anything coming, please holler!

Bob
    03-25-09 12:37 PM
    I'm on this thread a few days late, but I wanted to jump in. I'm an amateur astronomer from way back and a former Treo user. I have to say that I really miss the excellent Planetarium program that I had on my Treo. One of the things that I researched prior to buying a Storm was the availability of such a program. I heard that Starry Night was available so I was happy. Unfortunately, it is not optimized for the Storm and doesn't work well at all. I wrote the software company and they said that, since they don't sell the mobile version of their software, it's not a high priority, so don't hold your breath. Likewise, MicroSky is very buggy and difficult to use.

To rub salt in my wound, a friend with an iPhone showed me his astronomy app and it is wonderful... the best I've seen on any mobile device. It works with all the iPhone features like the accelerometer and GPS and gives wonderful views of the night sky.

I emailed the guy who wrote the iPhone software to see if he's planning a BB version. He didn't bother to write back. I called the guy who writes the Palm software and he's simply not interested. Until someone with an astronomy bent decides to write something for BB's I think we're out of luck. I'm really disappointed - almost enough to switch platforms again. I guess I'll hold my breath for a while.

If anybody hears of anything coming, please holler!

Bob
    Hi Bob; I have the Storm 9500, and not working on Starry Nights. But I read in the forum of people who do it works well in the Storm 9530 for Verizon, which you have. Search the forum Starry nights.

Are those that bring bad news for manufacturers of software for astronomy. A few were not interested and others not, and are so polite that you do not even answer.

I will have to wait and see if they make some software for my Storm. I have already seen that there is software for the iPhone, amazing! very good quality and also plenty of choice.

Greetings!
    05-19-09 06:04 PM
    On my 8320, I can not logon to microsky.
    "step 1: could not connect to h t t p://w w w.upto.org:8080
    tunnel failed"

I installed Starry night, and after I enter my postal code and click <send> I get a blank white screen.
    07-06-09 09:04 PM
    There is one software that worked on my blackberry bold and it is no bad at all. It is not specific for Blackberry but works anyway. I am happy with it unless something specific for blackberry comes out. It is called Solun. Download the solun'-u version 1.33 from piecafe.co.uk
    08-16-09 06:25 AM
    Whoever is in charge of making bb apps should update them more frequently!
    08-29-09 11:17 AM
    Whoever is in charge of making bb apps should update them more frequently!
    ditto.....
    12-16-09 11:35 AM
    Imaginova pulled their Starry Night app for the Blackberry...Anyone know why or better yet, anyone know where I can still download Starry Night other than Imaginova?

Thanks
    12-30-09 03:25 PM
    Has anybody tried these apps on a storm2? puniverse works on iphones but, apparently not on other operating systems. The google app is sensational. Would love to be as good as google and iphone
    01-05-10 07:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD