My co-worker asked me about installing an app on her phone that translates between English and Arabic. After searching through the forums for a little while I directed her to BBtran since Nivita doesn't have Arabic...
    After installing she is having problems actually seeing the characters. They apparently show up as back squares.

Is there a fix for this or a better translator, preferably for free?
    08-13-09 12:24 PM
    If they are showing up as black squares that means she hasn't got the language installed.

Check by going into Options > Localisation: Language. If Arabic is not listed that means the device won't display Arabic characters.

You can install it easily with DM from any multilanguage OS for her device.
    Last edited by Abbsta; 08-13-09 at 01:35 PM. Reason: typo
    08-13-09 01:34 PM
    Could you please elaborate on how I can install with "DM from any multilanguage OS?"
    08-13-09 01:38 PM
    DM = Desktop Manager. It comes in a CD with the BB or you can download from BB webiste as well.

Do you have any BB OS installed on your/her PC?

If not, go to you carrier website and download the latest OS for your device. After you install the OS on your PC, it will allow you to upgrade the OS of your BB. Now if you don't want to upgrade the OS of your BB, download the same OS as per your BB. For example, if you BB OS is 4.x.x.100 download the same one from BB website but make sure it says Multilanguage since Arabic is what you are after.

If you understood the above, I'll take you through the next steps.
    08-13-09 01:49 PM
    Thanks for your help, I am going to ask her to register. Hopefully she'll be able to handle it....
    08-13-09 02:26 PM
    Not a problem. It sounds daunting but it's pretty easy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD