Don't get me wrong. I think Paypal is great. I have a Paypal account. But requiring it to download AppWorld I think is kind of a wrong move on RIMs part. It'll be to cumbersome of a process for a lot of people, especially if they just want to download one app. What does everyone think about this? Link below.

BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry App World – BlackBerry App Store
    03-04-09 09:31 PM
    I hate paypal, this will make it a problem for me. they should just stick with the carriers instead.
    03-04-09 09:32 PM
    Well that's just their form of payment. Doesn't apple require you to add CC information to sign up for an itunes account (even without buying anything)? similar principle.
    03-04-09 09:33 PM
    I hate paypal, this will make it a problem for me. they should just stick with the carriers instead.
    I agree 100%. I havent used paypal for years after my account was hacked and my acount information was used to purchase about $3000 worth of stuff online. Paypal wouldnt help me out AT ALL, said I had to contact my credit card company. Which I did, and got most of the money back, but I'll never open another paypal account.
    03-04-09 09:38 PM
    Well that's just their form of payment. Doesn't apple require you to add CC information to sign up for an itunes account (even without buying anything)? similar principle.
    Yeah, but its a simple thing to just add a CC. Do you have a Paypal account? Setting one up is a borderline headache. There are going to be a lot of people who are put off by this. We already have one in this thread.
    03-04-09 09:40 PM
    This is definitely the wrong way for them to go. It should be a download, charge to your cell bill at the end of the month. People will make more compulsive purchases that way too.
    03-04-09 09:43 PM
    I couldn't respectfully disagree anymore. If you think to the app storefront for the iPhone and iPod Touch which is a category in the iTunes store, you need an account there before you can buy anything. How else would appworld work? Charge to your carrier's bill? The carriers want nothing, and have nothing, to do with this. If this is anything like iTunes, and I expect it to be, you set up an account once, it will keep your perpetually logged in, so all you have to do is open appworld and download apps at your convenience. Not to mention the fact that a PayPal account is convenient for other internet purchases as it has become the near-universal e-payment method.
    Last edited by AppStateAddict; 03-04-09 at 09:53 PM.
    03-04-09 09:45 PM
    I think paypal is a great way to go. I would say that 9 / 10 people already have a paypal account so they wont need a new one.

If you have a problem and you contact paypal they respond quickly and do their best to help. They can't help with everything but they tell you how you can go about fixing the problem.

Paypal is also a lot more secure then i used to be. They've added a lot more security and they also prevent you from using certain passwords which is easy for a hacker to detect.

I guess to each their own but I think it's a good move to go with paypal.
    03-04-09 09:47 PM
    I have multiple paypal accounts and don't have any trouble with them. I'm sure they will adopt new payment options in the future it's just rolling out.
    03-04-09 09:51 PM
    I wouldn't wanna guess the number of people who use eBay and paypal in this day and age.... so what's the big deal?!

Anything RIM does, there will be complainers.
    03-04-09 09:52 PM
    Absolute stupidity. Paypal charges outrageous fees and isnt very secure. I used to sell on eBay and it was very common for me to get bids from hijacked accounts. I finally cancelled my Paypal account and will never use them again. It just shows you that RIM and Paypal have some sort of partnership and I will just have to continue to buy my apps from Crackberry or Handango!
    03-04-09 09:53 PM
    RIM has bigger fish to fry (like getting a gc os for us) than to worry about being their own cc merchant. I doubt the store would bring that much income to warrant hiring a whole new call/center customer service..charge back cc fraud department etc..out source is the way of the world now.
    03-04-09 09:53 PM
    I refuse to use Paypal, it's a shady ******* company that does shady business practices.
    03-04-09 09:59 PM
    I wouldn't wanna guess the number of people who use eBay and paypal in this day and age.... so what's the big deal?!

Anything RIM does, there will be complainers.
    The issue is that you are made to open an account with Paypal even if you really didnt want to. Its the lack of choices/options. Remember, competition is good for everybody.

Besides whats more ubiquitous, people having Paypal accounts or people having credit/debit cards? Paypal doesnt even offer its services in some parts of the world. Why cant they just take a cc or debit card like every other business instead of having to go through Paypal?
    03-04-09 10:00 PM
    Let me make it clear. I'm not complaining. I ALREADY HAVE a Paypal account. I'm just wondering if going this route instead of maybe setting up there own signup service was really the right thing to do. Only time will tell.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-09 10:03 PM
    I for one do not have a paypal account. Think it's ridiculous that they're making us open one up just to download an app.
    03-04-09 10:06 PM
    The issue is that you are made to open an account with Paypal even if you really didnt want to. Its the lack of choices/options. Remember, competition is good for everybody.
    Seriously, some of you make me laugh out loud. The iTunes AppStore, which is considered to be a business gold mine and has set the standard in the industry, has the same effing set-up!!!!! Instead of using PayPal you open a iTunes account which is linked to a CC. There are no alternate choices for using iTunes. Yet nobody complains about their business model. In fact, I find it convenient. You set it up once, and you are always logged in and can make purchases at your convenience.

RIM is making the same choice with AppWorld. And since they don't own a pre-existing software and media marketplace like iTunes they have chosen to employ PayPal to handle the monetary side of this equation. I would guarantee it will work just like iTunes allowing a one time login and you're set. For those continuing to complain, how about offering a solution as you all claim there are so many "options". Charging to your carrier's bill every month doesn't make sense because your carriers aren't seeing a dime from AppWorld, this is a RIM thing, not a VZW or T-Mobile or AT&T thing.
    03-04-09 10:07 PM
    Seriously, some of you make me laugh out loud. The iTunes AppStore, which is considered to be a business gold mine and has set the standard in the industry, has the same effing set-up!!!!! Instead of using PayPal you open a iTunes account which is linked to a CC. There are no alternate choices for using iTunes. Yet nobody complains about their business model. In fact, I find it convenient. You set it up once, and you are always logged in and can make purchases at your convenience.

RIM is making the same choice with AppWorld. And since they don't own a pre-existing software and media marketplace like iTunes they have chosen to employ PayPal to handle the monetary side of this equation. I would guarantee it will work just like iTunes allowing a one time login and you're set. For those continuing to complain, how about offering a solution as you all claim there are so many "options". Charging to your carrier's bill every month doesn't make sense because your carriers aren't seeing a dime from AppWorld, this is a RIM thing, not a VZW or T-Mobile or AT&T thing.
    Except Itunes is backed up by themselves, not an outside company. Also, again, Paypal sucks and is known to screw people out of their money on plenty of occasions (just look up "paypal sucks" on google. Or talk to any Ebay seller that's been doing it for a long time).

This is just laziness on their part (or are getting some kind of deal from Paypal to do it). I'm sure several people are that company would easily be able to code a check-out system and a thing to keep CC numbers.
    03-04-09 10:19 PM
    i cant remember what site but i remember them stating that the app world will have Paypal at first and later other methods of payment down the line so really its just temporary
    03-04-09 10:19 PM
    Inside the BlackBerry app store | Wireless - CNET News

"Will PayPal be the only payment mechanism for Storefront?
    Kirkup: At launch, that will be only mechanism that will be available. As for after that, we have plans as to how to evolve the Storefront, but we will see after the launch."

"we will see" apparently lol
    03-04-09 10:22 PM
    Except Itunes is backed up by themselves, not an outside company.
    Except you can't read. I stated in my post that Apple had an advantage with their appstore as they had an existing online marketplace in-place with iTunes, which had its own payment method in place. All Apple had to do was integrate their app storefront into iTunes.

RIM, on the other hand, has no existing online multimedia marketplace. And from a business model standpoint it makes no sense for them to bring CC payments onto their books. This is the only logical move to do from a business standpoint.

Once again, I'll ask to the detractors, solutions instead of just objections anyone?
    03-04-09 10:23 PM

Laugh out loud if you want but you are comparing apples to oranges buddy. iTunes and Paypal are two completely different type of businesses, one offers digital media with an option to pay them directly and the other takes your money/collects payments for you and collects a fee for doing so. Ever wonder why Paypal is based in Nebraska? Its because that state offers certain tax cuts/incentives for them to do business there. The finance laws are more lax there in order to attract companies, which ends up being bad for consumers like me and you.
    03-04-09 10:32 PM
    It's not apples and oranges! Your original argument was lack of payment options. Apple has the same business model but you don't see anyone clamoring of a conspiracy with them! Make up your mind.
    03-04-09 10:36 PM
    Also, PayPal is completely free. Now, when you want to start adding extra features to your account you have to pay up. But someone can start a basic account for their needs to make appworld purchases and will never pay a dime.
    03-04-09 10:37 PM
    I've used paypal for about 6 years, used it hundreds of times, with no problems. So ya, for every 1 person who has gotten burnt, there are scores of people who have had no problems. It's not like iTunes accounts haven't been hacked or stolen either. That being said, it does take a little more work than just credit card info to set an account up, but if you're someone who regularly buys things on the internet, chances are you have an account already. Since I buy from many places on the net, having one company that has my info is generally safer than giving it to every new site every time I want to buy something.
    03-04-09 10:40 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD