Can anyone tell me why AppWorld doesnt come pre-installed?

iPhone: AppStore is preinstalled, Nokia: Ovi Store is preinstalled, Android: Market is preinstalled, yet on the Blackberry you have to rely on the user pointing their browser at a web address and downloading it...?

Seem insane.

Anyone know?

Cheers

Dave
    01-31-10 12:19 PM
    Appworld does come preinstalled. If for some reason you don't have it or lose it in the future, just download it off their website. It disappears on me from time to time if I'm deleting any apps. Happens to everyone, that's the way appworld is for some reason.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-10 12:28 PM
    app world doesnt come preinstalled on any blackberry ive owned and thats the storm tour and blackberry bold 9700 never preinstalled
    01-31-10 12:31 PM
    Appworld does come preinstalled. If for some reason you don't have it or lose it in the future, just download it off their website. It disappears on me from time to time if I'm deleting any apps. Happens to everyone, that's the way appworld is for some reason.

Really? Cos in the last 6 months I've had a 9000 which didn't, my brother had a 9000 which didn't, we both upgraded to 9700's neither of which had it installed, I bought my girlfriend an 8520 and this didn't have it, and I've installed it for a load of my mates 8900's who are just casual users and had never even heard of appworld...?

It's not like it's just vodafone UK either, different networks, and it doesnt come when you do and O.S update either so WTF?

Surely for the casual user they/we must be missing a MASS of sales...?

Cheers

Dave
    01-31-10 12:37 PM
    Part of the reason may be international licencing and PayPal support.

The list of countries that can install and use App World is growing, but there are still some restriced nations that are not allowed access to the software.
    01-31-10 01:15 PM
    Heck, BBM 5 isn't even pre-installed on the new devices with 5.0 OS. I wouldn't
    expect AppWorld to be either.
    01-31-10 01:25 PM
    when I bought my 8330 it was installed
    01-31-10 03:40 PM
    It wasn't installed on my 8530.
    01-31-10 04:26 PM
    Does it really make a difference? It only take a couple of minutes to download and install it. Is this a big deal?
    01-31-10 04:28 PM
    I think it's funny that when you open AppWorld and look at the top free apps, AppWorld is always in the top 5. You can download AppWorld from Appworld.

01-31-10 04:30 PM
    I noticed that. I think that's funny. I don't think it's a big deal that it isn't pre-installed. It's not like it isn't easy to find.
    01-31-10 04:32 PM
    Does it really make a difference? It only take a couple of minutes to download and install it. Is this a big deal?
    It's not about time, or effort. It's a simple case of RIM missing out an opportunity to link 100% of their user-base directly to a wealth of premium content straight out of the box. Instead they seem to be banking on people either knowing already, or reading advertising. Even just a flyer in the box with the phone would do.

I can only imagine Reed McLay has hit the nail on the head, and it's a licensing issue. Which is daft, as all the other manufacturers seem to have managed just fine.

Cheers

Dave

P.S Why was this post moved? It was a post about RIM's decision not to include AppWorld as a preinstalled application and has absolutely nothing to do with 3rd Party apps?
    Last edited by CalxDesign; 02-01-10 at 04:32 AM.
    02-01-10 04:23 AM
    Depends on your carrier in most and some countries are not supported.
    02-02-10 01:59 PM
    Appworld didn't come on my 8530 with OS 5.0

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-02-10 02:41 PM
    You can always download it anyway.
    02-02-10 04:26 PM
    U.S.A. + Verizon + Storm2 + OS 5= it comes pre installed with a bunch of other apps not needed like My verizon, Bing, slacker radio, verizon music and videos.......you get the idea. The best part is you cant even delete half of them only hide.
    02-02-10 04:45 PM
    I only used to look at the top 25 on app world. I never bought anything. I don't care for having a paypal account. Mostly if i need something, I can find it on either crackberry or mobihand. I also found that the app was bogging down my berry. Once I dumped it, I was much happier.

As to the original question, just keep this in mind. Apple is selling you a toy and they want you to buy apps from them. It's a pretty good scam actually. Oh look....there is an app I can buy that tells me where tacos are on sale!!!! Who needs that junk.
    02-02-10 05:16 PM
    Depends on carrier and country.
    02-02-10 07:25 PM
    App world is easy to download and install!
    02-02-10 07:57 PM
    U.S.A. + Verizon + Storm2 + OS 5= it comes pre installed with a bunch of other apps not needed like My verizon, Bing, slacker radio, verizon music and videos.......you get the idea. The best part is you cant even delete half of them only hide.
    You can delete them through service book.
    02-02-10 09:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD