11-19-11 01:17 AM
    I was thinking the same, take accuweather for example, their html5 is so good I doubt I will ever need an app for it again, just a bookmark in my browser or just leave the tab open.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-11 02:20 AM
    It annoys me when a they make a website into an app. To me apps have their place but they are better for a few specific tasks. I think the the saturation point for were you these specifics tasks are met is extremely small number compared to the numbers quoted for specific platforms.

Thanks for the post OP
    11-19-11 02:59 AM
    Apple pushed for HTML5 over Flash but it might backfire on them.

11-19-11 03:31 AM
    I have a question here.
    From the article posted in the OP, it seems that HTML5 would allow devs to bypass the various app stores, which means no app approval etc, but what would happen to security? Can HTML5 be used to create malaware/spyware and hack the device through the browser?
    Webkit browsers already have a security weakness, even on BB's. Luckily the way BB sandboxes user data, the browser flaw didn't allow much acces to user data in BB's. But going further how would the security be handled?
    Any devs want to clarify that?

11-19-11 03:47 AM
    There are apps that need to work when not connected to the internet can't be replaced by a website, like an e-reader, I read books on my BB miles from any cell tower. I need use of my calendar, contacts, memos, tasks when not connected too.

11-19-11 04:07 AM
    There are apps that need to work when not connected to the internet can't be replaced by a website, like an e-reader, I read books on my BB miles from any cell tower. I need use of my calendar, contacts, memos, tasks when not connected too.

"I need use of my calendar, contacts, memos, tasks when not connected too.
    "

I wouldn't consider those as apps, they are part of the OS, we're talking about weather apps, websites apps, youtube apps for example.

BB already has an advantage as it stores websites for offline use, if you open a blog for example then close the BB browser, when you try to open it again with no internet connection it will open it anyway and you can read the blog. Unless you clear the cache, every website visited is available offline.

11-19-11 12:08 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ppears-671378/

Merge these two threads?
    moiselles likes this.
    11-19-11 12:11 PM
    I love the native applications which, as has already been mentioned, are really a part of the OS. I just recently installed two third party applications: AIM and Digitally Imported. I love those. Other than that, I don't have any third party apps.
    11-19-11 06:36 PM

HTML 5 can support offline use I do believe.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-19-11 06:39 PM
    HTML 5 can support offline use I do believe.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Yes, angry birds on google chrome is the perfect example.

11-19-11 06:41 PM
    If web apps are truly the future and the ability to run them off line is enabled then Rim is going to have to get over it's "just enough memory" fixation and start doing like apple and have 16GB units at a minimum.

The 9900 has 8 GB but only about what, 130MB is available for installing apps?
    11-19-11 07:15 PM
    If web apps are truly the future and the ability to run them off line is enabled then Rim is going to have to get over it's "just enough memory" fixation and start doing like apple and have 16GB units at a minimum.

The 9900 has 8 GB but only about what, 130MB is available for installing apps?
    That's no longer the case on the QNX TabletOS and shouldn't be on BBX either.
    11-19-11 07:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD