I know that Blackberries were designed for the Business community as a whole but with the fact that the consumer market adopted them the way they did. Will the Blackberry App world ever reach the numbers of the Apple App Store or the Android Market? Or is this something that isn't likely to be done until the Blackberry phones transition over to QNX as their OS? Just seems like the app market for BB's could handle some additions.
    10-03-10 05:33 PM
    Well with the new developer stuff that was just opened up in DEVCON I see lots of stuff in the future but my guess would be no.... the Android Market isn't amazing but you really can't compete with the Apple Store
    10-03-10 05:39 PM
    Not much really all that much came out of devcon for developers, my opinion at least. The advertising stuff might be good, but not much else. But Ill say this as as developer, BB users dont buy many apps. From personal experience and from talking with other developers I have a pretty good idea of how many apps it takes to sell daily to maintain a top 10 position on either Mobihand (CB AppStore) and AppWorld. I wont get into specific numbers, but lets just say for 50 million active subscribers (as RIM claimed last month) the numbers are shockingly low by contrast (even with AW introducing 99c pricing). So the bottom line is that some times it comes down to..well... the bottom line
    10-03-10 05:54 PM
    If you compare the cost of putting an app up for sale on android/iphone with the cost of submitting something to crApp world, you begin to understand.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-10 12:42 AM
    Threads like this crack me up. Why does the sheer number of apps matter? If you only had ONE app that does what you need, why does it matter if there is another?

There are about a dozen fart apps for BB, and probably more for Android and iPhone.

Maybe some can come up with a PsychBerry app that helps people find alternatives to retail therapy.

10-04-10 12:48 AM
    You are right, it isn't about the sheer numbers. Just seems like there aren't as many that some people would want. I am an Android user and my wife saw the options I had and she was kind of disappointed that the BB didn't have many of the same options. She loves her phone, just wishes she had more options for personalization. She doesn't use the phone at all for work, it is her personal phone.
    10-04-10 10:07 AM
    the Android Market isn't amazing but you really can't compete with the Apple Store
    But with Apple's closed system, there are many apps you just can't get, even if you jailbreak the phone. For example, Apple yanked the official Google Voice app and also blocked apps that let you make free calls through your GV number.

I could understand it if these decisions were based on quality control, but they are motivated more by Apple/ATT political issues and carrier profits.

10-04-10 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD