First off, thanks for all the help I have received by just searching other posts. Most of the time I must admit I just lurk around here to see what info I can glean.

I am new to bb world, and honestly a berry it total overkill for me. I am a stay at home mom. Just wanted the thing so I could synch with outlook for my volunteer work and sports schedules.

The recent outage made me ask? which apps can I run without bis? I didn't realize what was going on until after the outage was over. I just thought it was strange that I couldn't use bbm or browser but I could still use Pandora. I now understand that Opera will work. Are there other apps that would work and how do I tell which they are?

TIA
    12-30-09 08:01 AM
    Without much research, and I am trying to make a somewhat logical guess, but I think any 3rd party app will work. If you have time to check crackberry apps or app world I believe there may be a 3rd party app for email. Again, this is just a shot at helping.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 09:05 AM
    I will give it a look. Still not sure I would know if it using bis or just my data plan. Hmmm

12-30-09 01:04 PM
    i agree toatally.
    12-30-09 01:15 PM
    get a data plan...wait, if you are on VZW you are required to have a data plan to have a berry. What is your issue?
    12-30-09 01:26 PM
    Yes, I have a data plan. I'm just wondering what apps I can count on using during an outage. I'm just trying to figure out the whole rim/bis middle man idea. Do other smartphone rely on a third party for connecting to the net/email or just blackberry? Yep, I'm a newbie

12-30-09 01:32 PM
    I know this is off topic but for BIS, do you have to call them or sign anything to register for it? Because apparently my phone is acting as if I had the data plan and BIS even though I did not sign up for it or anything. I am hoping I will not be charged for data usage because I think some of my apps are using data, such as Gmail.
    12-30-09 01:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD