Ok, I am coming from Windows Mobile and Android to Blackberry. Are Blackberryies locked down so that you can only install stuff from the AppWorld? Or, are there other forums or what not, like xda-developers.com, where you can get stuff that isn't "sanctioned" by RIM?

Can the ROM be flashed to a custom ROM?

Basically, what are the options here compared to an Android or WM device?

Thanks for the help,
    Malachi
    10-31-10 07:44 PM
    no but it depends on the app if it runs at bb tho but u can find some off pages
    10-31-10 08:17 PM
    Welcome!

You can download a lot of apps outside the App World. Some directly from the apps site and also you can the Crackberry App Store. I actually prefer the CB Store myself.

Hope this helps!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-10 08:22 PM
    A lot of j2me games and apps are compatible. Problem is you will go through a lot of files that arn't before you find one that does. There is a Zelda game that works pretty well on the curve 3g. There is also a nintendo gameboy emulator that works pretty well too Tno sound though).

The key is to find the jar or jad file to whatever your looking for.

Hope this helps.

BReady

10-31-10 09:34 PM
    A lot of j2me games and apps are compatible. Problem is you will go through a lot of files that arn't before you find one that does. There is a Zelda game that works pretty well on the curve 3g. There is also a nintendo gameboy emulator that works pretty well too Tno sound though).

The key is to find the jar or jad file to whatever your looking for.

Hope this helps.

BReady

10-31-10 09:42 PM
    You are fortunate that BlackBerry can download apps from a number of Sources. There are carrier online sources, pushed icons for direct loads, BlackBerry App World, Mobihand, direct developers, and a Free Apps section listed above. There are a number of free apps available, and you get to pick and choose. You can download apps using the Desktop Manager or OTA (over the air). If you don't know what you're looking for, the Internet can help you find many of them, you can search CrackBerry, App World, or even ask around here if something tickles your fancy.

10-31-10 11:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD