Maybe I'm dreaming here, but I'm in need of an app, and I'm hoping there's one out there...

I need to know how much data is being consumed per application on my Blackberry. The problem I'm facing is that when I travel, I suspect that some of my apps are polling for updates, and when I'm roaming, I suspect that this is causing me to incur a whole mess of roaming charges, even though I deliberately try not to use data-hungry apps such as Google Maps or even my browser.

The problem with apps like minimoni or e-mobile is that they only tell me about total data usage, and do not summarize by application. I really want to know how many times Facebook polled for an update while the app itself was never launched. Is there such a monitoring app?
    11-18-10 11:17 PM
    Any joy with this?

I've just got back from Thailand and was whacked with a �265 bill. Says i used 30Mb but I received quite a few emails but just the headers, used bbm a lot and that was pretty much it. As a result I downloaded datamonitor which in itself is good, and shows that I am using about 3Mb per day (mainly receiving, but god knows what!). I need to now what is drawing 3Mb a day so the next time I go away (soon) I can somehow disable everything apart from Email and Bbm. If no such app exists, I might invest the time to build one though it will take me a while as it's been a long time since I've done any programming.
    11-29-10 09:05 AM
    No luck whatsoever. I just spent the last hour reading the entire AppWorld listing of Utilities apps to see if anything like this exists. So far, I see some task managers, but nothing that tells me what my apps are doing. What I'd really like to see is a continuous log sorted by data volume usage, with apps down the first column, and amount of data usage (or even just number of times that app has hit the network). I expect that some of my weather apps, Facebook, and others (maybe even AppWorld itself) do some polling rather than sit completely passive.

Put it this way - anything that can have a status icon could be doing polling. Not to say that all apps that have a status icon do poll, but some might be. And that's where I suspect that my large phone bills are coming from!!

If you write this app, please use me as a tester!!
    12-16-10 07:23 PM
    Well there is one way to check. Might be hard depending on how many apps you have...
    Deny internet connection to all your apps except one. Moniter your data for a while. Do this for all your apps, and there ya go.
    Pain in the ****, but I think it's the only way you could do it. And it's better than getting charged �265.
    12-16-10 07:58 PM
    What a great idea! I hadn't thought of changing the app permissions to deny internet connection. I'm going to give that a go...I'm on a trip starting this week. Hopefully this will help...Thanks!
    01-09-11 08:34 PM
    I'm pretty sure there is one for GSM devices. I really wish someone would come up with a easy way for both GSM/CDMA to track incoming/outgoing... That or if RIM would just incorporate one maybe.
    01-09-11 09:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD