There are quite a few apps that I feel Appworld could or should have yet they end up on the iphone first. For example, I bank through Chase. Now granted, chase promised an app for blackberry supposedly earlier this year. Yet still nothing and the iphone had it last year. Same thing with Blockbuster and Redbox video. Last night I was watching a commercial for Esurance and they touted an app for the iphone. Don't get me wrong, It's not a complaint about appworld or blackberry. It's more of a concern. I'm not jumping ship to to get an iphone by any stretch. I really want to see RIM succeed, and I'm sure they will. It just seems like a lot of big companies that decide to have apps end up producing them for the iphone 1st and leave blackberry behind. JMHO!
    06-09-10 12:27 PM
    Its probably because its a lot easier to make apps on iphone that the bb and the market share for iphone users is a lot bigger....
    06-09-10 12:29 PM
    I have the app for Chase bank.
    06-09-10 12:53 PM
    I have the app for Chase bank.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's just chase mobile. It's not a specific app for Blackberry. I have to access chase through the browser. Which is not a big deal, but it would be nice to have the specific app.
    06-09-10 01:15 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's just chase mobile. It's not a specific app for Blackberry. I have to access chase through the browser. Which is not a big deal, but it would be nice to have the specific app.
    Do you know that the Chase app for the iPhone does anything other than access the website?
    06-09-10 02:07 PM
    Do you know that the Chase app for the iPhone does anything other than access the website?
    Are you saying it does or asking? I truly don't know. I never used an iphone, I just assumed it behaved like a app without actually opening the browser to Chase. But I could be wrong.
    06-09-10 02:26 PM
    Its probably because its a lot easier to make apps on iphone that the bb and the market share for iphone users is a lot bigger....
    +1 The number of people buying apps for the iPhone vs. Blackberry is reason enough to stick with iPhone for developing an app. Although, Chase is a bank and I'm sure they have a good number of buiness customers. The business is the Blackberry market, it would seem the app would do well on the BB platform.
    06-09-10 02:45 PM
    RIM looks at apps as a way to make money.

Apple looks at apps as a way to make money, and to sell devices.

I really taught that the iPad was just going to be a fad... or a play toy for Apple Fan-boys.

But I went to the doctor the other day, and instead of a clip board he had an iPad. He had my full history, all my records right there on the iPad. The whole office (8 doctors) had converted over - IN JUST A FEW MONTHS after the iPad was released.

A jeweler friend also uses his iPad both in the store and when he goes to customers home. They can do custom jewlery and the company that made the machine they use, provided an application specifically for the iPad to help with the Jewelery design. He has another POS app that ties back to his network so that he can write invoices and charge customers credit cards.

What does the iPad have to do with the iPhone... well with Apple making some of those apps available to both platforms or at least able to interact, you are going to find a lot more professionals (BB claim to fame) using iPhones in the future.

And while RIM is working on their own Pad... without the OS and the applications what are they going to have?
    06-09-10 05:07 PM
    Developers have several reasons to prioritize apps for the iPhone (unfortunately). I could be a bit off base on a couple of these, but I think it basically comes down to:

1: iPhone users are more likely to buy lots of apps, useful or not because Apple says they need them and they have plenty of room to store them on their devices.

2: Up until now, the iPhone had pretty much all the same requirements of apps, unlike BB which has many different requirements between different models. Just look at how many BB apps have to be rewritten just because RIM changed the OS from 4.7.0.200 to 4.7.0.201 or whatever (not real, just an example).

3: I believe the Apple iTunes developer and pricing structures are more friendly than RIM's for developers and consumers. RIM still has a lot to learn with AppWorld. It's not friendly for the developers or the consumers.

4: And I almost forgot this one. The iPhone (as a specific model) is the most popular phone available, which automatically makes it a top choice for app development.

Overall, it's just easier and less expensive to create apps for the iPhone, and it's more financially rewarding for the developers.
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 06-09-10 at 05:12 PM. Reason: oops!
    06-09-10 05:11 PM
    ChuckH0308's point #2 is key. Overall, the BB user base is not small compared to the iPhone user base. In fact, it may still be bigger. It is, however, more fractured in terms of device, carrier and OS variation. Makes it harder to develop for.

Only after that do the sales and marketing considerations kick in. In this arena, BB doesn't have a one-stop shop full of eager customers but it does have advantages... such as no approval process if you wish to sell outside AppWorld. BBs may yet become known for success in both the business and "non-wholesome apps" niches.
    06-09-10 07:28 PM
    I think the OS variations is one of the bigger headach for BB Developers.

They need to come up with an ALL IN ONE OS that will work with all the devices regardless of model number or form factor.... until they do that (and a number of other things) the really good developers that the Platform needs are going to stick to making money with Apple.
    06-10-10 04:21 PM
    I think the OS variations is one of the bigger headach for BB Developers.

They need to come up with an ALL IN ONE OS that will work with all the devices regardless of model number or form factor.... until they do that (and a number of other things) the really good developers that the Platform needs are going to stick to making money with Apple.
    but then you still have to re-render the gui components for each screen size, and for touch screens.
    06-10-10 05:49 PM
    Developers have several reasons to prioritize apps for the iPhone (unfortunately). I could be a bit off base on a couple of these, but I think it basically comes down to:

1: iPhone users are more likely to buy lots of apps, useful or not because Apple says they need them and they have plenty of room to store them on their devices.

2: Up until now, the iPhone had pretty much all the same requirements of apps, unlike BB which has many different requirements between different models. Just look at how many BB apps have to be rewritten just because RIM changed the OS from 4.7.0.200 to 4.7.0.201 or whatever (not real, just an example).

3: I believe the Apple iTunes developer and pricing structures are more friendly than RIM's for developers and consumers. RIM still has a lot to learn with AppWorld. It's not friendly for the developers or the consumers.

4: And I almost forgot this one. The iPhone (as a specific model) is the most popular phone available, which automatically makes it a top choice for app development.

Overall, it's just easier and less expensive to create apps for the iPhone, and it's more financially rewarding for the developers.
    I disagree with #1. The reason people buy apps for their iPhone is because it is designed for apps, not because they are told to do so like sheeple. You have to give Apple credit when it comes to marketing and design. Blackberrys were out long before technology thought of apps on a phone, and now they are making an attempt to tweak their UI to accept them, but it's not the same.
    06-10-10 06:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD