Just curious as to what makes the RIM App World any different from CB APP STORE or HANDANGO??? What is the big deal?
    03-04-09 10:37 PM
    Other than being officially sanctioned by RIM, not much.
    03-04-09 11:10 PM
    well said kronk...
    03-04-09 11:12 PM
    this was my thought exactly.

I don't even see the point of the app store. They sure didn't make it more appealing than anything else.
    03-04-09 11:27 PM
    To be fair, I think people are judging it against the iPhone app store, and that's a mistake. It's just like comparing BBs and iPhones.

RIM is obviously looking to capitalize a little on the growing consumer BB market. Not being as open to cheap apps like the iPhone is, it inherantly has to operate a little differently.
    03-05-09 12:08 AM
    agreed hah.

hopefully they will have some solid apps up tho (like CBs)
    03-05-09 02:10 AM
    Im just going to keep doing what I have been... Not going to submit my paypal info to get an app which may be a complete waste of money.
    03-05-09 06:27 AM
    Im just going to keep doing what I have been... Not going to submit my paypal info to get an app which may be a complete waste of money.
    If the app sucks or "doesn't work" PayPal will forcefully take the money out of RIM's account to refund you after you make a claim

I've had to deal with something similar through eBay and I was happy I had PayPal.
    03-05-09 09:31 AM
    If the app sucks or "doesn't work" PayPal will forcefully take the money out of RIM's account to refund you after you make a claim

I've had to deal with something similar through eBay and I was happy I had PayPal.
    Unless they have a "no refund" policy set in place...

If they have that sort of policy, good luck doing a "chargeback".

Honestly, if you buy an app and it stinks (versus just not being able to work AT ALL), I don't think you should do a chargeback. Every app is a gamble. That's why there are reviews and trials available.
    03-05-09 09:34 AM
    Yes, enterely too many folks running around think they're entitled to the benefits of someone else's hard work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 03-05-09 at 12:52 PM. Reason: content moderation
    03-05-09 11:32 AM
    Yes, enterely too many folks running around think they're entitled to the benefits of someone else's hard work.

oh SNAP!!!!!
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 03-05-09 at 12:52 PM. Reason: content moderation
    03-05-09 11:36 AM
    Secondly, if you are able and willing to pay a 200$ submission fee then you will have produced an app that people want and need ...
    Ya right. Like that worked for the iPhone app store! Have you seen the amount of crap on there?
    03-05-09 12:00 PM
    Yes. Being someone who bought the iTouch because he thought the App store would make it a damn nice, thin, sexy PDA, I can only hope that the App World does not become a wasteland of farting, jiggling sudoku games.

I would not mind, as I've stated on another section, a more refined, client/server based flatulence simulator for boardroom antics.

I've only started using a 8900 last night and i'm already appreciating the lack of regulation on applications.

As for who cares? I'm sure alot of people would care to have an official app download site from Big Berry. I know I can't wait to take a look, if not to buy a slick app or two.
    03-05-09 01:57 PM
    Ya right. Like that worked for the iPhone app store! Have you seen the amount of crap on there?
    Apple's fee is only $99 and is per developer not per application. I would have liked to see RIM at least match Apple's offer but oh well.
    03-05-09 02:02 PM
    App World - Who Cares?

Right now I am indifferent. Once I actually see the kind of apps it has, then I will know how to answer this. Maybe it might be worth it, maybe it wont. I say give it time even after it comes out. When sometimes things first come out people think awesome and its crap or vice versa. If it is crappy, who knows they might come out with something better. All we have to do is wait and see, I guess :/
    03-05-09 02:21 PM
    Apple's fee is only $99 and is per developer not per application. I would have liked to see RIM at least match Apple's offer but oh well.
    Ah. So the RIM store is $200 per app? I didn't realize that. You're right then, that should help keep the quality of submissions up.
    03-05-09 03:47 PM
    Ah. So the RIM store is $200 per app? I didn't realize that. You're right then, that should help keep the quality of submissions up.
    Sorry, I'm wrong. I just re-read it; it's $200 for a developer's fee and you can submit up to 10 applications with that $200 fee.

Obviously not as good of a deal as Apple's but that's better than per application.
    03-05-09 04:06 PM
    People who complain about the app world don't know anything about development

Firstly, if you are a good developer you can easily afford the 200$ submission fee

Secondly, if you are able and willing to pay a 200$ submission fee then you will have produced an app that people want and need and are willing to pay for which means you will - and read this slowly so you understand it - MAKE MONEY

And if you make money then rim is making money

See how this works?

Its an ecosystem

How is it different? Because it has strict regulations and guidelines for security and integration with the blackberry os

So before you ***** about things you don't understand, go read a book.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the price of the apps - I think we are (well, at least I am) complaining about the policies on behalf of the developers.

I'm not saying apps SHOULD be free - I'm saying they should be ABLE to give them away for free. Plus the developer should be able to sell there apps at $.99 if they want to. If they WANT to sell them for $3, that's fine - I want them to have more options.
    Last edited by Gimik; 03-09-09 at 10:59 AM.
    03-09-09 10:52 AM
    Not being as open to cheap apps like the iPhone is
    Really?

Because All Of The Mindless Fart Apps Are Any Better Than The Ones On The iPhone?

Regardless, A Fart App Is A Fart App Whether Its On An iPhone Or The BlackBerry Storm.

Mind You, Apple Didn't Allow Such Stupid Apps Until Recently.

I Wonder Why?

Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 03-09-09 at 12:21 PM.
    03-09-09 12:18 PM
    Regardless, A Fart App Is A Fart App Whether Its On An iPhone Or The BlackBerry Storm.
    I disagree, doesn't the storm have a better speaker than iphone, rendering a more impressive fart sound? These things matter when people are stuck choosing between the storm and iphone.

03-09-09 12:53 PM
    I disagree, doesn't the storm have a better speaker than iphone, rendering a more impressive fart sound? These things matter when people are stuck choosing between the storm and iphone.

Oh Yea, hold On... What If I Want To Play A Symphony Of Flatulance On My Storm?

Wait A Moment, The Storm Can Only Play One Sound At A Time...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f133/ab...e-time-163438/

03-09-09 01:53 PM
    quality vs. quantity?
    03-09-09 03:36 PM
    I'm just hoping they add more of a variety of apps, much like apples app store

03-09-09 03:47 PM
    I can't imagine there being many free applications in the BlackBerry store. Take a look at CrackBerry for instance; they have a ton of junk applications that sell for at least $2.

Apple's App Store at least have a large amount of free applications and games that work very well. Since the BlackBerry is more of a professional device, I worry that almost everything will cost money.

I recently started working on some BlackBerry applications but $200 is too much money for me to shell out just to release free applications since it's a hobby for me. The $99 was quite a bit for Apple but doable but really, $200? Just seems really dumb to me... oh well.
    03-09-09 04:01 PM
    Really?
    Yes, really. I made no mention of fart apps, or any particular apps for that matter. What I said is that App World should not be judged shoulder to shoulder with the iPhone app store. And yes, of the 20,000+ apps in the iPhone app store, a lot of them are cheaply made. Quick-n-dirty, if you will. But please, continue shouting in giant bolded letters so we know how passionate you are about the subject.
    03-09-09 06:50 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD