So in this interview (RIM Developer Exec Mike Kirkup on BlackBerry App Memory Problem, Storefront | CIO - Blogs and Discussion), Mike Kirkup is saying that one of the work arounds for the app memory problem on BlackBerry's is to utilize "the cloud" that will be App World. The theory is that can users can go into App World and re-install any apps you've downloaded/purchased but uninstalled.

Yesterday, I started using App World in this fashion. Apps that I didn't want at the moment, but wanted to be in "My World", I downloaded and then uninstalled, thinking I could go back to My World and easily find them later. I was also hoping that by having them in My World, I would get some sort of notification when there is a version change.

Today I installed the new version of App World (.27) and the only apps listed in My World are apps that are currently installed.

Not a huge deal really, but not exactly working as expecting after reading Kirkup's comments...
    Last edited by Yesterdays Shoveler; 04-02-09 at 01:10 PM.
    04-02-09 01:00 PM
    Hmm same here

.26 all the apps where there but they have been removed in .27
    04-02-09 01:05 PM
    I haven't actually bought any apps yet, just downloaded the free ones. I'm curious if your paid apps also disappear from My World after an App World version upgrade if they are not installed at the moment App World is upgrade?

That could be an issue if App World is not aware of apps that are paid for but not installed after an upgrade...
    04-02-09 01:15 PM
    Yep my paid apps that I uninstalled disappeared from my app world
    04-02-09 01:19 PM
    Yep my paid apps that I uninstalled disappeared from my app world
    I would consider that an issue!!

What happens when you go back and try to re-install those apps by finding them in App World? Are you prompted to pay again or does it recognize that you already own a license?
    04-02-09 01:28 PM
    I would consider that an issue!!

What happens when you go back and try to re-install those apps by finding them in App World? Are you prompted to pay again or does it recognize that you already own a license?
    Yep I'm prompted to pay for them again.
    04-02-09 02:00 PM
    whenever anyone loads a new app on their phone do you do a backup anyway.i always make a back up(data and 3rd party) after every install. that way i always have my app,theme and so on.so to me i just dont see a point in saving it in app world. dont get me wrong i do understand the ease of use for people with appworld.just dont see why alot of this is needed when if you did do a back up you already have the program in a easily accessible place.(your pc)
    04-02-09 02:04 PM
    whenever anyone loads a new app on their phone do you do a backup anyway.i always make a back up(data and 3rd party) after every install. that way i always have my app,theme and so on.so to me i just dont see a point in saving it in app world. dont get me wrong i do understand the ease of use for people with appworld.just dont see why alot of this is needed when if you did do a back up you already have the program in a easily accessible place.(your pc)
    I have a BlackBerry so that I don't have to drag a laptop or a PC with me every place I go...
    04-02-09 03:21 PM
    my guess is that updating from .26 to .27 cleared the memory of your world. This is a huge problem if you have paid for apps in there so I'd be calling RIM lol.
    04-02-09 03:39 PM
    my guess is that updating from .26 to .27 cleared the memory of your world. This is a huge problem if you have paid for apps in there so I'd be calling RIM lol.
    Funny I updated to .27 and the apps in my world stayed.
    04-02-09 05:01 PM
    Funny I updated to .27 and the apps in my world stayed.
    Uninstalled ones did or INSTALLED apps stayed...for me all uninstalled apps dissappeared but none were paid apps so it didnt matter.
    04-02-09 05:15 PM
    I have a BlackBerry so that I don't have to drag a laptop or a PC with me every place I go...
    i understand. just for me the app itself(appworld) not the phones capabilities are what im talking about.believe me i love what my phone can do.i mean how many apps will everyone really have before their phone slows to a crawl,not to mention the appworld app itself. i just really think once the fad of it wears off its just be the same value as app center on the phone.(deleted that too,no need for it.) in which case now its just one more app on your phone taking mem away from other needed stuff.only reason i bring that part up is after installing appworld and doing a battpull my phone ran very sluggish.hourglass started poppin up every few seconds and all that. thats before i even opened the app the first time. then i opened it . ok it looks cool,took a bit to load up. ran like a dog,just horrible performance.mem on my phone didnt dip too much but still phone just crawled along.did another batt pull. same thing,phone ran awful.im on a 113/109 hybrid that runs great with everything else ive put on it but this just wasnt working. appworld gone.
    04-03-09 02:56 AM
    i understand. just for me the app itself(appworld) not the phones capabilities are what im talking about.believe me i love what my phone can do.i mean how many apps will everyone really have before their phone slows to a crawl,not to mention the appworld app itself. i just really think once the fad of it wears off its just be the same value as app center on the phone.(deleted that too,no need for it.) in which case now its just one more app on your phone taking mem away from other needed stuff.only reason i bring that part up is after installing appworld and doing a battpull my phone ran very sluggish.hourglass started poppin up every few seconds and all that. thats before i even opened the app the first time. then i opened it . ok it looks cool,took a bit to load up. ran like a dog,just horrible performance.mem on my phone didnt dip too much but still phone just crawled along.did another batt pull. same thing,phone ran awful.im on a 113/109 hybrid that runs great with everything else ive put on it but this just wasnt working. appworld gone.
    I don't see what any of your rambling reply has to do with the topic here, but thanks for your two cents.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-09 06:19 AM
    I don't see what any of your rambling reply has to do with the topic here, but thanks for your two cents.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    really? wow didnt have to be a dik about it. but ok have fun.
    04-03-09 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD