Out of sheer curiosity, how are the Top Downloads in the new App World determined? Obviously RIM just had to decide off the get go, but i haven't seen them change at all so i'm wondering if they will change according to download count, user reviews, or will RIM just be using this section as it's own marketing tool?
    04-01-09 12:24 PM
    ˙pǝpɐoluʍop sı ddɐ uɐ ǝɹoɯ ǝɥʇ ˙pǝpɐoluʍop ʎpɐǝɹlɐ ǝʌɐɥ ʇɐɥʇ ǝldoǝd ǝɥʇ llɐ
    04-01-09 12:26 PM
    I'd assume down load count as usual

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-09 12:27 PM
    Top Downloads are determined by how many downloads each app has gotten.
    The one at the top of the list will be number one, hence the words "Top Downloads"
    Not too bright are ya?

04-01-09 12:27 PM
    I wish i could see the top downloads in App World, in Spain it is not available yet
    04-01-09 12:30 PM
    Was this a serious question?
    04-01-09 12:30 PM
    The one at the top of the list will be number one, hence the words "Top Downloads"
    Not too bright are ya?

Thanks, i was actually bringing up a valid point here though, none of the apps on the 'Top Download' page have moved at all since the store opened, so that makes me think that they are NOT ordered according to download count - which they should be.

I was looking for some real insight here...
    04-01-09 12:32 PM
    Was this a serious question?
    Yes it was. I know it is pretty susceptible to sarcasm and ridicule, but have you seen any of those apps change positioning yet? They HAVENT. I was mainly wondering if they will be updated, how often, or is RIM just telling us what to download here?
    04-01-09 12:36 PM
    Not too bright are ya?

Actually i think he is pretty bright. Think about it. This is a RIM application, meaning they ultimately have complete control over it. Google does this, they charge for the first appearing search results. Many other companies do this, so i would say that it is pretty plausible. Cut him some slack.
    04-01-09 12:37 PM
    I think it was a pretty relevant question.
    And the answer is...RIM
    04-01-09 12:39 PM
    I think it's stupid the way they do it. Obviously the free apps will consume the top spots. I would rather see a top 25 per category rather then the whole app world.
    04-01-09 12:40 PM
    I think it's stupid the way they do it. Obviously the free apps will consume the top spots. I would rather see a top 25 per category rather then the whole app world.
    Agreed, i mean i would obviously download all the free apps just to try them. and im sure allot of other people would do that too. not a fair way to measure the "most popular" downloads
    04-01-09 12:43 PM
    agreed. my itouch has a top payed-for app section, and a top free app section
    04-01-09 12:58 PM
    Yes it was. I know it is pretty susceptible to sarcasm and ridicule, but have you seen any of those apps change positioning yet? They HAVENT. I was mainly wondering if they will be updated, how often, or is RIM just telling us what to download here?
    I doubt RIM is telling us what to dl since most of the top downloads are free.

The thread makes more sense now though since you're inquering about how often they're updated, they'd obviously be updated but you're right, they haven't changed.

RIM will update it eventually, question is just when. I'm sure its a few times a day or even hourly.
    04-01-09 12:59 PM
    Excellent point.
    04-01-09 01:04 PM
    There should be a few choices Top 25 with different selection criteria. Would really help cut down on the need to sift through the 'categories' section, which takes a fair amount of time to load
    04-01-09 01:38 PM
    I think it will change soon, and like the other person said, the iphone has a top paid section and top free section. The thing is that the app store is still young, and as it grows into maturity they will change it, I guess similar to the way apple has theirs set up.

It would **** people off if it stayed the same as their paid apps would never move up, so I am thinking they will split it, or maybe game the "top downloads" by maybe multiplying the paid apps by a factor of 2 or 3 to make them competitive or something.

Or they can just have someone do it manually, by maybe looking at the best paid apps and giving them a spot on there somewhere. But I agree, the current system will fail because the free apps are usually downloaded/re-downloaded a lot more often.
    04-01-09 01:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD