I was taking a look around the new App World, and I was confused to see that it was saying that on my Bold (with an 8GB external memory card and 1GB of internal memory) I only have 37MB left of free application space.

How is this possible? How is it coming up with that number, and why is it so low? I only have 4 apps installed, and none of them take up more than 1MB in space.

EDIT: My device memory has 856.3MB of free space. And my memory card has 1GB of free space.

Also, the "upgrade is available" icon is stuck on my main screen even though I just rebooted from an upgrade. Any ideas on how to make it go away?
    Last edited by xtremesniper; 08-03-09 at 05:12 PM.
    08-03-09 05:10 PM
    Consider yourself lucky, it says I have 13 MB free :/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 05:15 PM
    That is app memory not storage memory. Chances are it says something like 37MB free of 128MB. It's just app memory. The lower the app memory, the slower the phone will run. You have plently of storage space on your phone, don't worry.
    08-03-09 05:27 PM
    That is app memory not storage memory. Chances are it says something like 37MB free of 128MB. It's just app memory. The lower the app memory, the slower the phone will run. You have plently of storage space on your phone, don't worry.
    That is correct
    08-03-09 05:47 PM
    You should be aware of 3 different "memory" locations on your Bold:

1) Application Memory - This is where your apps are installed. Every day use of your BB will slowly use this memory up while apps will use it until they are removed. A restart clears the former. Once you get down to around 10MB your phone might start having issues. This is the only place you can currently install apps.

2) Device Memory - This is the built in 1GB storage space. It cannot be removed from the BB but otherwise functions exactly like your MicroSD card.

3) Media Card - This is the removable MicroSD card that you may or may not have installed. This is just like device memory except that you can remove it.
    08-03-09 05:52 PM
    I was taking a look around the new App World, and I was confused to see that it was saying that on my Bold (with an 8GB external memory card and 1GB of internal memory) I only have 37MB left of free application space.

How is this possible? How is it coming up with that number, and why is it so low? I only have 4 apps installed, and none of them take up more than 1MB in space.

EDIT: My device memory has 856.3MB of free space. And my memory card has 1GB of free space.

Also, the "upgrade is available" icon is stuck on my main screen even though I just rebooted from an upgrade. Any ideas on how to make it go away?

What OS are you running, and have you deleted BRICK BREAKER and other "useless" games or apps your OS came with that you don't use?
    08-03-09 05:53 PM
    Ahhh I was aware of those three different memory locations, but I guess what I didn't realize was that installed applications are not able to use device memory. I thought Application Memory was just a way of saying RAM for the applications currently running. I didn't know the actual installation takes place in that memory as well.

I'm running OS .266 and no, I haven't removed those other games because from time to time (rarely, but it happens) when I'm extremely bored and stuck somewhere I might play one of them.

Thanks for the help guys..

Also, the only way to save applications to the media card is to "archive" it, which effectively uninstalls the app, right?
    08-03-09 06:02 PM
    Ahhh I was aware of those three different memory locations, but I guess what I didn't realize was that installed applications are not able to use device memory. I thought Application Memory was just a way of saying RAM for the applications currently running. I didn't know the actual installation takes place in that memory as well.

I'm running OS .266 and no, I haven't removed those other games because from time to time (rarely, but it happens) when I'm extremely bored and stuck somewhere I might play one of them.

Also, the only way to save applications to the media card is to "archive" it, which effectively uninstalls the app, right?
    If you haven't played them yet, chances are you probably won't. Plus, if you have an "unlimited" plan just "surf"

Not well versed, but I think you need a certain program to be able to save and "load/install" apps from the media card. Do a search, I've seen the subject.
    08-03-09 06:10 PM
    with the new app world you can archive but I don't think it really uninstalls the app. I have a game on mine that I just archived and it says that it's archived in App World but I can still go to the game and play it without having to reinstal anything. So I'm not quite sure on that, I hope someone else can chime in and help with that.
    08-03-09 06:13 PM

Exactly. Uninstalled and saved for you to re-install later without having to download.
    08-03-09 06:13 PM
    Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog: BlackBerry App World 1.1 - New Features, More Countries

That confirms the above. It uninstalls the app but leaves a reference to it so that you can later restore it from the memory card. Still can't have it run from the memory card, though. I suppose it's only a matter of time before that happens as well.

Thanks for the help guys!

Now I have to find a way to get this upgrade notification icon (similar to the new mail icon but with the App World icon) to go away...
    08-03-09 06:59 PM
    There are issues with running from the memory card i.e. when you remove it or mount it as a mass storage drive on your PC (which is essentially removing it as well). My Windows Mobile phone used to go nuts when you installed certain apps to the storage card.

I think the best solution is to give us more app memory - considering how cheap flash memory is, it shouldn't be a problem...and honestly if they charge more for it I'd pay.

My friend's Tour boots up with like 90MB of free memory which is almost double that of my Bold so we're headed in the right direction...just not with the Bold.
    08-03-09 07:09 PM
    Well I guess by the time it's time to get a new Blackberry they'll have 1GB free application memory, and the world will be a better place. haha.

I think the main reason why the Bold has so little app memory is because it was designed before the App World, so they probably didn't design it with many applications in mind.
    08-03-09 07:15 PM
    Very true. So, when the onyx comes out, I hope it has even more memory than the Tour or the 8900. Otherwise, I won't be buying many apps at App World!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 08:42 PM
    .... Once you get down to around 10MB your phone might start having issues...
    I'm sure it's phone/OS dependent, but mine starts showing the clock more often than it should around 22MB. I think 20MB is considered the "bad zone" for the Bold. Granted, the phone is still quite usable at that point. I would say, at 10MB, my Bold starts to act like my Treo 750. (oh the memories... catch your phone on the first ring, by the time you missed the call, it finally attempts to answer... )
    08-03-09 09:01 PM
    pity... we can't have it like so:

Processor, APP Storage, and APP Memory, OS, and normal storage.
    Now THAT'D be nice. probably suck up more battery too.
    I can see a Bold like that. Instead of two days worth of play time, ya got one day.
    08-03-09 11:41 PM
    I'm sure it's phone/OS dependent, but mine starts showing the clock more often than it should around 22MB. I think 20MB is considered the "bad zone" for the Bold. Granted, the phone is still quite usable at that point. I would say, at 10MB, my Bold starts to act like my Treo 750. (oh the memories... catch your phone on the first ring, by the time you missed the call, it finally attempts to answer... )
    On .162 I would frequent the 10MB range of free memory and never noticed any slowdowns. It seemed to only bother me when I looked at the number and saw it so low. So when I upgraded from .162 to .266 I saw huge improvements and I'm fine now even though the OS performs identically. It just stays above 30MB and that's what counts. lol
    08-04-09 12:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD