Has anyone seen an ad by VZW showing app world? my friend is on VZW corporate BES and they blocked app world downloads. he just sent me a txt message...so much for being a key selling feature...

btw not an "april fools phuck you all go to H-E-double hockey sticks"...im super serial about this...someone find something let me know! i've searched for an hour.
    04-01-09 01:48 PM
    While in my local corporate Verizon store last Sunday, we were told by two different Reps there that the App Store was going live on Wednesday and to be sure to check it out. Doesn't sound to me like they were told it wasn't supported or approved.
    04-01-09 01:52 PM
    Corporate BES guys can block whatever they want to secure their network. That is controlled by their IT department not verizon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-09 01:53 PM
    thats my point. he is a verizon employee...so verizon blocked it...well, verizon's IT department...
    04-01-09 01:54 PM
    Thats what I would assume. Its not his personal phone.
    04-01-09 01:54 PM
    While in my local corporate Verizon store last Sunday, we were told by two different Reps there that the App Store was going live on Wednesday and to be sure to check it out. Doesn't sound to me like they were told it wasn't supported or approved.
    store reps knowing about it and having corporate headquarters "offically" endorse and support it are two different things. VZW doesn't support the OS versions most of us run, but we do anyway, and some store reps might suggest you use them. but that isn't the corporate line, ya know?
    04-01-09 01:55 PM
    I have to do it ... Let me Google that for you. (First link, news...)

Research In Motion

They listed it as a major selling feature because they have BB's that can access it ... although I am only speaking from interpretation.

store reps knowing about it and having corporate headquarters "offically" endorse and support it are two different things. VZW doesn't support the OS versions most of us run, but we do anyway, and some store reps might suggest you use them. but that isn't the corporate line, ya know?
    Agreed... Verizon will do what they want ... And now that I'm thinking about it, it would kind of make sense - less support issues for memory
    Last edited by pi_admin; 04-01-09 at 01:58 PM.
    04-01-09 01:55 PM
    thanks, but those are RIM announcements...not VZW. good call though. i've yet to see anything FROM VZW stating the availability of app store is a "key selling point" of any of their blackberries...
    04-01-09 01:58 PM
    thanks, but those are RIM announcements...not VZW. good call though. i've yet to see anything FROM VZW stating the availability of app store is a "key selling point" of any of their blackberries...
    Apologies.. My point was for the opposite, further supporting that it's NOT a VZW thing, rather it's all RIM.
    04-01-09 01:59 PM
    oh, my bad. i thought...nevermind. i should stop that stuff. leave the thinking to my phone!
    04-01-09 02:02 PM
    This store tends to toe the corporate line in the strictest of terms. The Reps in this store also tell us that running an OS that is not "Official" does, in fact, void your warranty -- no argument. That is why I posted what I did. If there was even a faint trace of truth to the not supported/not approved rumor, they would not be telling their customers about the app store.

Just passing along what I know of the store that I deal with on a regular basis.
    04-01-09 02:05 PM
    is he has BES on a work server, then the download was blocked by them! i have BIS and i dont have anything, ive been dl and uninstalling apps all day!
    04-01-09 02:16 PM
    The bottom line is no support from carriers. Its a RIM product. Essentially its kind of a nod to people expecting new OS release with app world. They're separate releases rolled out by two different companies. No word from NJ about app world. Just found it interesting and wanted to hear everyone's view on the matter.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-09 02:16 PM
    As Radioguinea, C_X or one of the guys in the know mentioned, App World is going to be a memory nightmare. The Storm doesn't have enough of it to allow what RIM has in mind. VZW can see the inevitable support calls and probably wants nothing to do with it.

Is it just coincidence that it's not available in the UK, Australia and elsewhere or did those carriers just say forget it?
    04-01-09 02:22 PM
    yay for screwing over people not in north american and europe one more time...its the american way! (canada is part of the americas, so technically that is correct)
    04-01-09 06:05 PM
    as far as VZW goes...

the smart phones that are signed out to reps are on the BES, which we've covered, means the managing IT dept. has more control over the phone than the user of it.

any BB on a BES gets entirely controlled by someone else as far as what it is allowed to do.

they can remotely add/remove anything from your phone for the most part.

the reason they block things like that is due to 3rd party apps not exactly being 100% guarenteed and since the phone really isn't theirs...VZW isn't willing to scrap it due to downloads in hopes that they can continue to pass it around to other reps for training and device knowledge.

being as reps won't refer 3rd party apps that aren't provided by VZW (atleast they shouldn't be) there is no need for them to have that access

side note, i'm not saying it should be that way. i agree and disagree in ways. just wanted to clear it up a little
    04-01-09 06:54 PM
    oh, and it is supported by VZW as far as customers are concerned
    04-01-09 06:55 PM
    oh, and it is supported by VZW as far as customers are concerned
    call VZW and tell them you can't download an app, and they will pass you up through tech support, document everything, and hand you off to RIM with a smile and a swift pat on the a$$...
    04-01-09 07:05 PM
    I saw this on VZW, but it check compatibility by OS, if you have anything but what came on the storm I dont think it works.

Answers to FAQs

EDIT: works on my wife's storm, but not mine. I never upgraded hers.
    04-01-09 08:11 PM
    app zone vs. app world. good job, i like the way you approached the situation. go straight to the source. that is rare on these boards...lol! kudos somdfisher
    04-01-09 08:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD