Ok, so a few weeks back I discovered that everytime I rebooted my Storm I never gained any memory back and quite often started with even less. I barely had any apps, ony UberTwitter, App World, and a couple of games. I assumed the culprit was UberTwitter. I deleted it, but I still wasn't gaining any memory back after a reboot.

In the end, I said screw it and ended up re-installing 328. Nice I was now booting at about 51.9MB again. I didn't put UberTwitter back on, and everything was cool for a while. I would only lose about 0.02MB over the course of several days just from basic use of the phone.

However, yesterday I decided to browse through App World for a while, and when I closed it out, I noticed I lost about 3MB. I was like wow, this app is a hog, and decided to reboot the phone. The memory didn't come back. I rebooted again. No change. I pulled the battery. Still no change. After several battery pulls, I never got that lost 3MB back.

I decided to uninstall App World to see if that would help. Sure enough, it did. My startup memory went back up to about 51.6MB. It appears that App World caches all those app icons and screenshots in the app memory and never lets go of them. Uninstalling App World itself was the only way to flush out that memory. For 1st party software, App World sure is written poorly. Why would you use app memory to cache images when there is so much device memory available?

I realize now that App World was the problem originally. That's fine. I can always just send an app to my phone through App World's website, instead. So for anyone else who is losing memory and can't figure out why, if you have App World, that could be your problem.
    12-16-09 07:15 AM
    I don't use app world and I just removed Ubertwitter and my memory sticks for awhile then starts to drop randomly. Not sure why yet. Maybe a should just reinstall like you did.
    12-16-09 07:36 AM
    App World was one of the reasons I wiped and reloaded the OS on my Storm. Even after I deleted it, I booted up with less memory than before I installed it. Buh-bye App World!
    12-16-09 07:42 AM
    Everyone already knows App World sucks. Besides the mem leak it messes up apps that it Archives. I don't know why anyone has it installed, because every app can be downloaded directly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-09 08:39 AM
    So I finally removed app world and app center and I'm rebooting my phone....

I'm excited to get my memory back!
    12-16-09 08:46 AM
    Download center leaks too?
    Last edited by ekyle125; 12-16-09 at 12:28 PM.
    12-16-09 09:40 AM
    crapword is crap
    12-16-09 10:56 AM
    When you get apps from Appworld, an archive copy of the app is
    downloaded into "Device Memory"
    If you explore your device memory and delete the archives and reboot,
    you should regain the memory.

Media > Explore > Device Memory > Blackberry > app_world > downloads >
    look in the folder that has your PIN number
    12-16-09 12:12 PM
    device memory != app memory....in other words who gives a frack
    12-16-09 12:34 PM
    Why are some of you so anal about memory? I thought it was there to use. What good is it if you aren't going to use it? Is it so you can post on CB and see if you have the most? I really don't get it. As long as your phone is running smooth and not freezing up who cares what it boots with.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-09 02:25 PM
    app world does suck!!
    12-16-09 02:39 PM
    Why are some of you so anal about memory? I thought it was there to use. What good is it if you aren't going to use it? Is it so you can post on CB and see if you have the most? I really don't get it. As long as your phone is running smooth and not freezing up who cares what it boots with.
    Sure memory is there to be used, but theoretically, you should get it back when and app is closed out. The problem with App World is that it seems to suck up memory and never give it back, even after a battery pull. I lost 3MB in one sitting and couldn't get it back. At that rate, after using it about 15 times, I should pretty much have no memory left.
    12-17-09 07:34 AM
    So if I remove app world, where can I download the apps? I mean apps like bbm upgrades and official msn messenger are not available in crackberry's app store.
    12-17-09 10:07 AM
    I believe you have to have app world installed to get any of the apps on the site, at least it will prompt you to....

I agree with it being crap and draining your memory but if you don't like it either uninstall or don't install it.

As for the app memory thing are there checks being handed out to the person with the most app memory??? Mine can run down to zero and I never lose functionality of anything on my phone... It seems silly to me to worry about app memory when you have so much of it on some phones. I have other things to worry about.

My two pennies.......
    12-17-09 10:28 AM
    Sure memory is there to be used, but theoretically, you should get it back when and app is closed out. The problem with App World is that it seems to suck up memory and never give it back, even after a battery pull. I lost 3MB in one sitting and couldn't get it back. At that rate, after using it about 15 times, I should pretty much have no memory left.
    i have heard others claim of certain apps eating memory and not ever giving it back even after a reboot i cant see this happening really. Its something that would be hard to prove atleast
    12-17-09 10:30 AM
    App World disappeared off of my Storm last week and I haven't had any reason to reinstall it. It's slow and buggy.
    12-17-09 12:30 PM
    i have heard others claim of certain apps eating memory and not ever giving it back even after a reboot i cant see this happening really. Its something that would be hard to prove atleast
    This is the second time it's happened to me. The first time I thought it was UberTwitter, but was mistaken. I guess you need to witness it first hand to believe it. Ever since I uninstalled App World, my memory has slowly been increasing. You would think RIM would know exactly how to program an App for their own OS. I guess not.
    12-17-09 12:36 PM
    So if I remove app world, where can I download the apps? I mean apps like bbm upgrades and official msn messenger are not available in crackberry's app store.
    You can go to the official App World website and have a link emailed to you.
    12-17-09 12:39 PM
    agreed you can have the download link emailed to you.

Plus with app world eating up memory that means less functional apps i can install. I don't have many apps installed but I do notice a large decrease in performance when my app memory is down almost at 0...just think if you try to open a new app with no memory left what happens? I don't know if blackberries can use a swap or thrash at all but it is definitely slower.

my .02
    12-17-09 12:55 PM
    Plus with app world eating up memory that means less functional apps i can install.
    Exactly!!!
    12-17-09 01:03 PM
    You can go to the official App World website and have a link emailed to you.
    yes they email you a link but when you click on the link it tells you to install app world...kinda pointless
    12-17-09 01:55 PM
    When you get apps from Appworld, an archive copy of the app is downloaded into "Device Memory". If you explore your device memory and delete the archives and reboot, you should regain the memory.

Media > Explore > Device Memory > Blackberry > app_world > downloads >
    look in the folder that has your PIN number
    thanks! this got me back the memory!
    12-20-09 11:13 AM
    crapword is crap
    I second that!
    12-20-09 06:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD