Hi guys, I am new to Blackberry devices and smartphones in general. I found a deal on craigslist 50 bucks for a used 9650 in excellent condition. I bought the phone but have not activated it yet. When I was playing around with the phone, I did not find the app world icon as well as email. Can someone give me the basic info I need to set up the phone?

Thanks
    02-15-12 06:21 PM
    App World icon may be "hidden". On the main screen, click the BlackBerry button and select "Show All".

It may also be in either the Applications folder or the Downloads folder.
    02-15-12 06:23 PM
    you can also try to install it and see what it says.
    i provided you the link for appworld, ota.

rroyy.com
    02-15-12 06:26 PM
    Do you guys think it could be due to the phone not being activated yet? Thanks for the help!
    02-15-12 06:58 PM
    so i guess you didn't find out yet? appworld icon will always show if you have it installed, aslong if you haven't hided it etc.
    if you aren't registered, it will show you the message to it.
    02-15-12 07:02 PM
    Do you guys think it could be due to the phone not being activated yet? Thanks for the help!
    Yes it is.

You need to contact your carrier and ask them to add a BlackBerry data plan to your account.

Once this is active, you'll be able to access App World and setup your email etc.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-15-12 08:50 PM
    Great, thanks for the help guys! Pretty much I plan to test this phone out and see how much I like it. I have been eligible for upgrade for awhile now, but have been hesitant about which smartphone to get. I am overall pretty bad with technology so I thought a simple smartphone to test out such as a Blackberry would be a good choice. I might use my upgrade to a 9930 or some other phone based on how I like the 9650.

Thanks again for the help here!
    02-15-12 10:45 PM
    @OP, just note that the BB devices are a lot higher up the ladder of existence than your previous dumb phones

with dumb phones, they pretty much require absolutely no care or maintenance because they dont do much for you anyways

BB devices require you to be interested in them and to learn how to use them. they get regular updates and can connect to a lot of softwares and have apps that help you do stuff. you need to be interested in caring for your BB to get the ultimate BB experience

if you expect your BB to read your mind because it is a smart device, you're not going to enjoy it. but if you stay on here (crackberry) and learn how to get the most out of a BB, you'll fall in love all over again
    02-16-12 12:31 AM
    @OP, just note that the BB devices are a lot higher up the ladder of existence than your previous dumb phones

with dumb phones, they pretty much require absolutely no care or maintenance because they dont do much for you anyways

BB devices require you to be interested in them and to learn how to use them. they get regular updates and can connect to a lot of softwares and have apps that help you do stuff. you need to be interested in caring for your BB to get the ultimate BB experience

if you expect your BB to read your mind because it is a smart device, you're not going to enjoy it. but if you stay on here (crackberry) and learn how to get the most out of a BB, you'll fall in love all over again
    Very true I am finding out but it can get fustrating at times
    02-16-12 05:49 AM
    first off, its not that mind boggling to go from simple to bb. we did it, and 1 of our bb is in use by someone who is a retired senior. the key there was going slowly. we approached bb as a new experience which we would gradually master. first i learned, then i showed, then Senior learned - except for those things Senior wanted to know right away and figured out on own and showed me we focused first on testing hardware to be sure bbs were not defective, then on how to make calls, use speaker, address book. then on calendar and sharing it using bbm. camera use is straightforward, as is email, music. within 2 weeks, Senior was proficient in basics of phone use, using it as media player, reading with (gone now) borders app, browsing using opera mini... months later got comfortable with podcasts....Dont expect everything to happen overnight, its a process whenever you begin it. and theres lots of help here. we love our bbs!

go to blackberry.com and with your phone in hand, watch the 101 video for the phone. it will take you through the most basic things about the phone layout and usage.
    then go through crackberry 101. note that if you havent activiated a bis plan, the bb specific things such as app world, push email, web, and applications just wont work.

1 other thing to be aware of is that os 7 feel and function is very different to os 5 (which is what my 9650 came with and which i stuck with, as did many others on here). whenever you upgrade windows, the os changes and so does the experience, too. if you are buying a computer and expect to use windows 7, there is no great advantage to mastering xp first. if you like the 9650 (we do!) i can recommend it as a very solid phone. if you really want the newest, latest and greatest bb, skip 9650, and go for it! & yeah, lifecycle of 18 mo is norm for tech, and os 10 awaits us in the wings.
    Last edited by cherimoya; 02-16-12 at 01:03 PM.
    02-16-12 10:51 AM
    Hi guys, I am new to Blackberry devices and smartphones in general. I found a deal on craigslist 50 bucks for a used 9650 in excellent condition. I bought the phone but have not activated it yet. When I was playing around with the phone, I did not find the app world icon as well as email. Can someone give me the basic info I need to set up the phone?

Thanks
    I have had this happen on several occasions when I go to update App World. It is usually a clitch in the update. To fix the problem, RIM either issues another App World Update, or in the meantime, go to the download link in your web browser and install it again. It should reappear.
    02-27-12 03:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD