I upgraded to version 3.1.4.25 yesterday. This morning, while doing something else (App World wasn't open), I got a popup ad screen for Silent Camera Pro. I couldn't remove this screen except by actually clicking in it to open App World and decline purchase of the app.

At that point I was asked whether I was okay with RIM collecting location data throughout the day to "improve services". I declined and closed App World and finally went back to what I was doing.

I found this pretty annoying. If RIM is going to allow app vendors to show me ads at random times when I'm not actually browsing for apps, and not allow me to get rid of those ads without inspecting the wares--well that's not making me happy. And the bit about asking to track me and collect data is already answered in my "location data" setting in Options. Why am I being asked again?
    07-14-12 05:35 AM
    I haven't seen this yet but I seem to remember the tracking question back versions ago. Like everyone they think they can improve whatever if you allow it. I'm fine if I have a choice to decline which I do.

Edit: I guess I hadn't opened app world since updating. I got the question but no popup ad so far.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 07-14-12 at 08:33 AM.
    07-14-12 08:30 AM
    I haven't seen this yet but I seem to remember the tracking question back versions ago. Like everyone they think they can improve whatever if you allow it. I'm fine if I have a choice to decline which I do.

Edit: I guess I hadn't opened app world since updating. I got the question but no popup ad so far.

I'll be interested to see if others get the popup. In the previous version of App World I was getting occasional "ad alerts" in the notification bar, which I also don't like, but popup screens are a far more aggressive form of advertising. I really don't like this trend, which seems very "un-BlackBerry" to me.
    07-14-12 08:54 AM
    I agree.........
    07-14-12 09:03 AM
    I have not gotten any pop up notifications yet but ill be sure to keep an eye out and report them if I start receiving them. Imo what you are describing would be extremely annoying. I hope its just a one time thing.
    07-14-12 09:13 AM
    I have yet to update Blackberry app world, maybe I will wait after reading this thread until the "kinks" are worked out
    07-14-12 09:18 AM
    I upgraded to version 3.1.4.25 yesterday. This morning, while doing something else (App World wasn't open), I got a popup ad screen for Silent Camera Pro. I couldn't remove this screen except by actually clicking in it to open App World and decline purchase of the app.

At that point I was asked whether I was okay with RIM collecting location data throughout the day to "improve services". I declined and closed App World and finally went back to what I was doing.

I found this pretty annoying. If RIM is going to allow app vendors to show me ads at random times when I'm not actually browsing for apps, and not allow me to get rid of those ads without inspecting the wares--well that's not making me happy. And the bit about asking to track me and collect data is already answered in my "location data" setting in Options. Why am I being asked again?
    I haven't gotten any popups from appworld. But did you ever try Silent Camera Pro? Perhaps the popup is an upgrade notice? There are actually two apps that include that name in the title and one of them was released/upgraded on 7/2/2012. Which is what made me think it might be a new form of upgrade notice Or maybe new inteaction with something else that might control popups, like Advance OS & LED.
    07-14-12 11:18 AM
    I upgraded AppWorld a few minutes ago. After rebooting and opening AW, IT (not another app) gave me the pop-up about "improving services". I declined and now AW doesn't work at all. Deleted, rebooted, reinstalled. Declined again, and again doesn't work - get, "BlackBerry App World is having trouble connecting to the BlackBerry App World server. Verify your network connections and try again."

Is anyone else able to use AW if they declined?
    07-14-12 01:14 PM
    Nope I declined and app world works fine.
    07-14-12 01:18 PM
    Nope I declined and app world works fine.
    Was this after the upgrade?

It worked fine before the upgrade - on my third time of deleting, rebooting, reinstalling...ugh.

Think for the heck of it I'm going to say "yes" on the next install to see if it works (then delete AGAIN to say "no").....
    07-14-12 01:26 PM
    after.........................
    07-14-12 01:27 PM
    I declined and mine works fine as well. Hope you get it sorted out.
    07-14-12 03:02 PM
    I haven't had another popup since that first one, but I did get an ad notification for "Advanced RAM Optimizer Pro". These ads aren't welcome but are at least less intrusive than a popup.
    07-15-12 06:07 PM
    Hey Everyone,

New user here...have had my bb9900 for a month now and I'm glad I found this thread...I've been having these stupid pop ups everyday...I get them every morning when I wake up...

it's a window that pop ups saying "app of the day" and as the OP said...it doesnt go away until I click on download ...and then close app world again...

any suggestions on how to get rid of this annoying occurence?!?!...Thanks guys!
    09-04-12 12:07 PM
    Hey Everyone,

New user here...have had my bb9900 for a month now and I'm glad I found this thread...I've been having these stupid pop ups everyday...I get them every morning when I wake up...

it's a window that pop ups saying "app of the day" and as the OP said...it doesnt go away until I click on download ...and then close app world again...

any suggestions on how to get rid of this annoying occurence?!?!...Thanks guys!
    BOLD PART: ..this is exactly what's happening to me too ..everytime i wake up ..i check if i got any messages ..and the first thing i see is a freaking pop up .......
    09-04-12 05:14 PM
    Its only going to get worse. I have the same but from a company called Amaira soft. I have brought this to the attention of RIM and they act as though they are scared to do anything because they know the wack job knows how to get into the backdoor of these phones. I have thought about returning to my android and throw in the towel. I hate advertising on my phone!!!!
    09-06-12 12:30 AM
    If you guys have identified the offending app(s), you need to restrict some permissions.

BlackBerry 101 - Application permissions | CrackBerry.com

My bad. As it pertains to the OP's issue, as well as what some others have posted, Phill's solution below is the way to go. If you're getting third party notices in your inbox, then you need to restrict permission.
    Last edited by raino; 09-06-12 at 04:24 PM.
    09-06-12 01:30 PM
    Options > Third Party Applications > Personalisation & Privacy for App World > Collection of Usage Data = Disabled > Apply This Setting to All Applications = check

No more ad pop-ups
    09-06-12 04:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD