Is there a application to stop or shut down apps running in the background?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-11 11:16 PM
    depends on the app...some you just can't kill off. best bet is to go to your app switcher, see what you have open, and quit, not close, out apps you don't want running
    02-20-11 11:21 PM
    Thanks, where is the app switcher?

02-20-11 11:24 PM
    Press and hold you BB button

02-20-11 11:40 PM
    Ok I know that one thanks

02-20-11 11:43 PM
    I know android has a app for controling what apps run in the back ground but can't find one for bb?

02-21-11 12:07 PM
    are you running os6? there's the application management thing. but it just shows you cpu/memory/etc usage of apps. there isn't much in the way of actually shutting down apps in it. you can delete them, but that's about it.

the app switcher is really the only way to shut down running apps. one of the reasons android has those apps is because there are some that run rampant and will kill the battery. bb doesn't really have that issue. except for some os builds. they'll have memory leaks from time to time (seems to be more often than not...) but it's usually something in the os, not a specific app. and that just eats up free memory, over a long period of time; it doesn't kill the battery. i've had some builds that even though they have memory leaks, they still remain just as snappy/quick as when it first boots
    02-21-11 12:34 PM
    I am running the regular os. Too scared to upgrade my 9700. I'm not very smart with that kind of stuff. Thanks for your post.

02-21-11 12:40 PM
    There are some Apps

Browser
    BBM
    Home

that have to run.

Under OS5 you can remove BBM from the phone and it will obviously stop running. Under OS6, if you remove things like BBM then you also lose some option setting capabilty. Sloppy programming, imo.

Closing other programs is best done by pressing the Menu key and scrolling down to Exit or Close or Quit. Some programs such as Google Maps and the Reutrs News services like to running the background so that they can download current data. Faceboook does the same thing. If you shut these apps down then, you get no data updates until you run them again.

Programs like Caclulator can be closed simply by pressing the Escape key.

There's a middle ground where pressing escape to exit the app quits but the app still sits there doing nothing. Again, pressing the Menu key and selecting Exit or whatever to fully close the app.
    02-21-11 12:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD