saw this on the iphone commercial, looks great! Looks like it calculates the bill based on people, tip calculator, all in one app.
    02-13-09 01:27 PM
    Thats what the calculator is for
    bill % people=what you pay
    bill x .18=tip
    02-13-09 02:01 PM
    I'd love to see a tip app. as well...
    02-13-09 02:06 PM
    I kind of don't see the point. I know we can calculate that the tip on a $40.00 meal at 20% is $8.00. By the time I pull up an app to do it, I would have already paid my tab and left the building! lol
    02-13-09 02:09 PM
    Thats what the calculator is for
    bill % people=what you pay
    bill x .18=tip

This is exactly what I thought. My second thought was "Wow, are iPhone users too dumb to use their calculators?"
    02-13-09 02:11 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/th...?highlight=tip there are a few apps and wap sites in that thread.

looks like this thread is going to go off topic like the other one on tip calculators calling people dumb...same ole.'
    Last edited by chrisy520; 02-13-09 at 02:17 PM.
    02-13-09 02:12 PM
    Agree. It's just basic calculation people.
    02-13-09 02:14 PM
    it's probably best to stick with answering the OPs question and not lecturing about math skills.

if you have no useful info then move on.
    02-13-09 02:16 PM
    This is exactly what I thought. My second thought was "Wow, are iPhone users too dumb to use their calculators?"
    People need a reason to break out their iPhones among company.
    02-13-09 02:24 PM
    Big advantage, the BlackBerry has SheetToGo so you can calulate the percentage tip either with that or via the calculator. Bear in mind that even if you get it wrong, the dumb waiter will probably not know either.
    02-13-09 02:27 PM
    People need a reason to break out their iPhones among company.
    This is key. Most iPhone users have this need to flaunt their "phones." They're mostly a "look at me, look at me" crowd. Makes me halfway embarrassed to have one around.

And FWIW, my last phone had a tip calculator and I never, ever used it. Takes way longer to get the phone out and open the app than it does to calculate it in your head.
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 02-13-09 at 02:51 PM. Reason: edit
    02-13-09 02:49 PM
    No people need to stop asking for INCREDIBLY stupid apps. There is a VERY good calculator built into the phone. As it has already been said, why would you need an app for one division and one multiplication problem? How could an app make this any easier? Good grief
    But that's the whole idea of a hand held computer is it not? It does things for you that you either choose not to do or cannot do for yourself. Personally I cannot always find my way to my destination unaided. Now,I could carry a map but, I choose to carry a GPS enabled smartphone.

Others may have trouble calculating the amount each must pay for a 187.35 meal when there are 7 people present and the tip needs to be calculated at 12.72%. Answer $30.17 each, rounded up. Did you?, I used Excel ((187.35*12.72)/7). Not reallly a doi-it-in-yer-head-calc, is it?

Personally I would not use such an app but I see no reason why others should not. It is personal and, freedom of choice.
    02-13-09 02:51 PM
    For apps like this is it not about the app as much as it is about graphics. If it looked real glossy and fun then people like them. Look at this ipod app for example. Add some more options and voila. If it looks like a calculator then there's no point to it.
    02-13-09 02:52 PM
    Big advantage, the BlackBerry has SheetToGo so you can calulate the percentage tip either with that or via the calculator. Bear in mind that even if you get it wrong, the dumb waiter will probably not know either.

I take offense to that. As a college student who waits tables and bartends, my livelihood depends on tips. Trust me, we do notice, and we usually laugh at the people who cant even add right. You will be surprised how many times we have to have tips adjusted because the people cannot even add 6.00 to 33.00.

Further, I can think of no time in my life where 12% is appropriate. I have had bad service, but Jesus, 12%? 18% is standard, and 20% is for good service.

Just a side not, to tip 20% just divide the bill by 10 and multiply by 2. Its very easy. 18% is usually close to the tax being multiplied by 2.
    02-13-09 03:00 PM
    a calculator isnt enough?
    simple math tells you that is you want to tip 16.0%
    1. move the decimal 2 places to the left = .16
    2. multiply it with the bill , $50 example....... (50)(.16) = 8
    tip = $8

and if you cant finish the math in your head..use the calcluator again and add the tip the the bill.

have people gotten so dependent on technology that they not only need a calulator, but they need a seperate calculator for specificaly one task??
    02-13-09 03:06 PM
    This thread has gotten totally off-topic. It's now closed.
    02-13-09 03:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD