I used to have this on my old phone. As Storms are purly 3G i thought why hasnt this come out yet(sorry if im wrong).

A MPH / KPH Guage that you can stick in your holster and it works out how fast your going through GPS.

Is this possible on the storm.

Thanks.
    03-12-09 07:54 AM
    I used to have this on my old phone. As Storms are purly 3G i thought why hasnt this come out yet(sorry if im wrong).

A MPH / KPH Guage that you can stick in your holster and it works out how fast your going through GPS.

Is this possible on the storm.

Thanks.
    Yeah, a few of the navigation apps tell you your speed. So id say its possible
    03-12-09 08:01 AM
    GPSed will do this for you. The main screen will give you speed and a compass.

I can't post links yet, but check out wwwDOTgpsedDOTcom.

-G
    03-12-09 08:21 AM
    search for 'speedOmeter' in the apps section of this site
    03-12-09 08:41 AM
    search for 'speedOmeter' in the apps section of this site
    I found SpeedOmeter but it states "This product is not compatible with Storm " and we are wanting to use this with our storm. Did you know a way to do that???

dave
    04-29-09 02:03 PM
    GPSed will do this for you. The main screen will give you speed and a compass.

I can't post links yet, but check out wwwDOTgpsedDOTcom.

-G

I tried that link every way I know how and them some and search google and came up with nothing please tell?

dave
    04-29-09 02:04 PM
    04-29-09 02:11 PM
    What does 3G have to do with using GPS?
    04-29-09 02:17 PM
    What the phones use to get the signal
    04-29-09 02:50 PM
    What the phones use to get the signal
    You mean what the phones use to get voice/data signal. GPS is a different signal.
    04-30-09 10:56 AM
    Dont understand because you still need a 3g Enabled phone to use the GPS..

My head hurts.
    04-30-09 11:11 AM
    Blackberry Maps has it....
    04-30-09 11:30 AM
    Dont understand because you still need a 3g Enabled phone to use the GPS..
    No you don't. Somehow, GPS units all over the world use it without being 3G phones.
    04-30-09 11:33 AM
    3G refers to the data transfer network like internet (dsl, cable, dial-up, etc). GPS is a different system. There's a GPS chip inside the phone that connects to satellites.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-09 12:01 PM
    You guys are confused by each other.

A standard GPS has the maps fully installed on a type of memory, thus there is no need for data to be downloaded.

A phone with GPS software, say blackberry maps or googlemaps. require a 3g connection to download the map data, these images are in no way stored on the phone and are downloaded as you browse or are tracking yourself, there are some programs which have full navigation and i believe they only have basic maping and the turn by turn fully downloaded and the rest is streamed, i could be wrong about this one.

In the end you do not need a 3g phone or anything of this sort for you to communicate with a satellite and get your location, to get any type of map data or visual add you will need some type of data connection.

So if this program while showing you your speed is displaying some type of data you need a gps chip and a device with data, otherwise all you need is that gps chip.

Oh i also forgot, if we are talking about a phone utilizing agps then it is the phones data connection that is giving you gps info.

Last edit >.< I just verified this to be 100% true, I happened to have googlemaps turned on in another building rather close to were i am right now and had established a gps connection and downloaded the map data, I turned my data off, pulled gmaps up which said i was within this 1800 meter radius, with images because i had it pulled up before and had not closed it. Googlemaps was constantly saying loading, which was the phone trying to download the new images but couldn't due to the fact i had data off, I walked outside and the gps locked onto my exact location within 1 meter, represented on the previous data.
    Last edited by mentalcase87; 04-30-09 at 12:36 PM.
    04-30-09 12:28 PM
    Joe did you try GSPed out? Never found out if you resolved your issue.
    05-01-09 10:44 AM
    Joe did you try GSPed out? Never found out if you resolved your issue.
    Hey, yeah i tried it on monday. Its great. Use it alot now. Mainly novaly more than useful ness.

Thanks for the fast help
    05-01-09 11:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD