It is pretty ridiculous that we have to pay to view pdfs on the storm outside of emails.

I have a blackberry, not a 20 dollar phone, and I would like to view PDFs on the internet and saved on my phone without paying.

I dont even need to edit them, just view them!!

is it possible for someone to develop a simple, free, pdf reader that I can use just to VIEW pdfs on the internet and saved on the phone
    02-27-09 11:09 AM
    I know its not what you asked for but it may be useful information to you. I use my phone to read ebooks from time to time and also I have the need to have an occasional pdf to be sent to me via email.
    I use mobipocket to view all my pdf books but they have to be converted. If you got the mobipocket website you can download a program that converts the pdf format into the prc format that's used for mobipocket and it takes literally a couple of minutes to convert.

If its a case that you use it for business reasons just see if you can get the office to convert the file before sending it to you and read it in mobipocket...

Hope this helps a little

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-09 02:41 PM
    I know its not what you asked for but it may be useful information to you. I use my phone to read ebooks from time to time and also I have the need to have an occasional pdf to be sent to me via email.
    I use mobipocket to view all my pdf books but they have to be converted. If you got the mobipocket website you can download a program that converts the pdf format into the prc format that's used for mobipocket and it takes literally a couple of minutes to convert.

If its a case that you use it for business reasons just see if you can get the office to convert the file before sending it to you and read it in mobipocket...

Hope this helps a little

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

while I respect your help in the matter, a lot of the things are internet links

would it be really hard to develop an app like this?
    02-27-09 08:31 PM
    It is pretty ridiculous that we have to pay to view pdfs on the storm outside of emails.

I have a blackberry, not a 20 dollar phone, and I would like to view PDFs on the internet and saved on my phone without paying.

I dont even need to edit them, just view them!!

is it possible for someone to develop a simple, free, pdf reader that I can use just to VIEW pdfs on the internet and saved on the phone
    Co-sign
    02-27-09 08:56 PM
    would it be really hard to develop an app like this?
    Yes.

PDF is a massive, hideous beast of a file format. It'd probably take a small team of programmers weeks-to-months of full-time work to code up a decent parser and layout engine.

If you want to complain to someone about not having a free reader, email Adobe and see how far it gets you. (Not very, considering the appalling state of their abortion for Windows Mobile.) Otherwise, suck it up and lay out the $20 for Repligo Reader. It's worth every penny.
    02-27-09 10:44 PM
    Yes.

PDF is a massive, hideous beast of a file format. It'd probably take a small team of programmers weeks-to-months of full-time work to code up a decent parser and layout engine.

If you want to complain to someone about not having a free reader, email Adobe and see how far it gets you. (Not very, considering the appalling state of their abortion for Windows Mobile.) Otherwise, suck it up and lay out the $20 for Repligo Reader. It's worth every penny.
    If you buy it from Handango by tomorrow you get 20% off, I think it ends tomorrow.
    02-27-09 10:51 PM
    since no one seems to be on top of their game tonight... three words

Documents To Go... you know the ones that had free word, ppt, and excel on the phone? they make a pdf viewer to. only catch is it isnt free. But if you buy the package you get the versions of the documents to go to edit word, ppt, and excel files on the phone its self.

i know its not free but its something
    02-27-09 11:36 PM
    You're going to be hard pressed to find someone that will waste that much time for a free app. Most people who need this are business people (and companies) that are willing to shell out money for it. I personally dont have the need to save pdfs to my phone..I just need to be able to view them from email and reply so i'm good to go the way it is. If I had to purchase something I'd probably go with BeamReader ($19.99) cause it comes with a 10 day trial atleast. Or just go all out and get the doc 2 go
    02-28-09 12:14 AM
    IIRC, DocsToGo's PDF reader is just a cut-down version of Repligo Reader, and BeamReader doesn't have a small-screen reader mode -- a critical feature.
    02-28-09 02:28 AM
    Beamreader has 2 features that put it ahead of Repligo (in my opinion)

1. Slick File Manager
    2. Ability to create new docs (xlx, doc, rtf).

I slightly preferred Replicgo's rendering of PDFs, but the other features made me choose Beamreader.
    02-28-09 10:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD