now i know i will prob get ripped for this but im not saying i like the iphone so dont say go get an iphone if you dont like it lol

why does the iphone/touch have a better quality apps they seem i guess more real or smooth... is there any reason? thanks!
    06-15-09 06:01 PM
    I think a lot of it is the iron-fisted control Apple has over the application distribution channels. Blackberry apps come from all over with a wide variance in usefulness, quality, and fit&finish; iPhone apps are handed down from Jobs through the Apple store.
    06-15-09 06:06 PM
    I think a lot of it is the iron-fisted control Apple has over the application distribution channels. Blackberry apps come from all over with a wide variance in usefulness, quality, and fit&finish; iPhone apps are handed down from Jobs through the Apple store.
    thats not the real reason because a lot of the devolpers are small for both rim and apple. SIMPLE AND TRUE ANSWER is the iphone has a better OS (osx vs 1998 java hmmmm I wonder whole win?) also about jobs "picking" the apps. apple has more apps than rim. Love the storm but thats the truth
    Last edited by francolasalsa; 06-15-09 at 06:18 PM.
    06-15-09 06:16 PM
    I believe that the apple programmers put more time in the applications and there are more of them. for the storm the people try to get the stuff out and there is not that many of them. but in the next year when storm 2 comes out they will make good apps for the storm 1. Cant wait
    06-15-09 06:23 PM
    apple has more apps than rim.
    I hear that a lot, but I've always wondered how someone can count the number of apps for a Blackberry - any idea where these numbers actually are? Personally I'm happy with the apps available for the BB so I also wonder which apps for the iPhone people keep wanting.
    06-15-09 06:25 PM
    so it could get better?
    06-15-09 06:50 PM
    so it could get better?
    Certainly - ANYONE can write an app for the Blackberry. Since the Storm is still relatively new, apps that utilize the touchscreen and accelerometers effectively are still a bit rare - and when they do get developed people with phones other than a Storm want them too so this doubles the development effort. Blackberry was also late in the game for a lot of multimedia stuff so there's a bit of catchup there as well but that gap is closing quickly. If you're looking for a specific application chances are there's already something similar that already exists - it just may not be as pretty or be designed for an earlier phone.
    06-15-09 06:55 PM
    There's more money in developing iPhone apps, so they get better quality.
    06-15-09 07:20 PM
    how when the iphone apps are .99cents and blackberrys are like 3+? is it bc there are more iphone users
    06-15-09 07:28 PM
    A lot of it has to due with the difference in programming language, the iphone centered around objective C while the the storm using java
    06-15-09 07:37 PM
    Here is my take on the Storm market, keeping in mind I am new to developing for the Storm but I have 15+ years developing for the ps2, Xbox, Xbox360 etc... Also I am going to assume we are talking about games for the most part because come on, why else would you get an iphone over BB goodness?

I have yet come across any performance problems on the Storm for my two games. I have been able to have the whole screen literally full of animating sprites running 30fps without a problem. It was the first thing I did. So I don't think performance is much of an issue. The main areas that I would like see improved are graphics and sound.

Right now you can only play one sound at a time on a Storm and that is a HUGE problem. Either you choose music or sound effects, not both. This is surprising because the j2me platform doesn't limit this and I am pretty sure the hardware supports this. You can play simple tone sequences and music together but that is pretty 1980s. Don't under estimate how much audio can add.

The 2d graphic support is pretty minimal. You can't scale images at all, you can only rotate images on the cardinal axis (90,180,270). Blending also could be better. Now you could write support yourself but this stuff should just be there. The iphone has full 3d graphics support. This allows for so much more. It's much easier to find, buy or make 3d models these days than it is for 2d animated sprites.

Now with that said lets start talking some reality. The Blackberry market is targeted at businesses with solutions that work across all their devices.

Finally right now the Storm market is so small that most companies can't justify writing games specifically for the Storm. Most games are j2me that will work on more than one BlackBerry device and more than one brand for that matter. The j2me platform is pretty amazing (never thought I would say that) considering what it was meant to do and does.
    06-15-09 07:40 PM
    So will we be getting 3d quality? Ever

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 02:49 PM

Finally right now the Storm market is so small that most companies can't justify writing games specifically for the Storm. Most games are j2me that will work on more than one BlackBerry device and more than one brand for that matter. The j2me platform is pretty amazing (never thought I would say that) considering what it was meant to do and does.
    Is there any data that shows how many Storms have been sold compared to other BBs and to the Iphone?
    06-17-09 04:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD