Why couldnt they do the app memory like iphone were they download it to the memory card it would have made the storm 50000 times better if they did and if this is true can they change it?
    08-21-09 12:09 AM
    Afraid you are stuck with what you have. Sorry. There is an app that will load from the card, but reviews will be your responsibility.
    08-21-09 12:14 AM
    Why do people always compare this to the iphone....WinMo has been doing this well before the jesus phone.

BB in the future and hopefully even our storm will do this eventually. I am pretty sure the multitasking is the huge issue so far with this.
    08-21-09 12:17 AM
    Why do people always compare this to the iphone....WinMo has been doing this well before the jesus phone.

BB in the future and hopefully even our storm will do this eventually. I am pretty sure the multitasking is the huge issue so far with this.
    That is one thing that I really miss about winmo. I had well over 25 apps on my memory card and never noticed a problem.
    08-21-09 06:46 AM
    Its been talked about allot in previous threads. Its security issue this why apps are not run from a memory card. Oh the iphone has 256 mb app memory and u can use it all up and get errors also.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-09 07:07 AM
    If you're not running the app at all times what is the difference?

08-21-09 07:27 AM
    If you're not running the app at all times what is the difference?

app memory is taken up by the install of the app...doesnt matter if its running or not
    08-21-09 08:25 AM
    Its inexcusable to me that this phone has only 128mb of app memory when I have an 8 gb card just longong to be used. Makes no sense.

08-21-09 09:52 AM
    Its inexcusable to me that this phone has only 128mb of app memory when I have an 8 gb card just longong to be used. Makes no sense.

You had a 30 day period in which you could have returned it. I don't understand why you're griping now.
    08-21-09 09:55 AM
    I understand the security issue, however, I just wish they used the built-in 1 GB of memory as app memory instead of storage memory. That's what doesn't make sense to me. They give you an 8 GB card so you don't really need that 1 GB for storage, it is better used as app memory
    08-21-09 10:01 AM
    I understand the security issue, however, I just wish they used the built-in 1 GB of memory as app memory instead of storage memory. That's what doesn't make sense to me. They give you an 8 GB card so you don't really need that 1 GB for storage, it is better used as app memory
    Yeah, I never understood this either. From what I read the app memory is carved out of the on-board memory already. And RIM can specify how much to use.

I just wonder if it is an OS limitation and if more was supplied the phone would error. Kind of how 32 bit OS's can only use 3GB of Ram. They do not error if more Ram is available, but maybe the BB OS would.
    08-21-09 10:23 AM
    Can someone help me to understand why running apps on the SD card is a 'security issue'? Me thinks this is just and excuse that RIM uses.
    08-21-09 10:32 AM
    I think its because everything can see the SD card, but the app memory is restricted. To use the SD card in the same manner the OS would also need to apply restrictions, or load the apps on demand into app memory.

Security considerations

Access to memory

The BlackBerry® Java® Development Environment is designed to inhibit applications from causing problems accidentally or maliciously in other applications or on the BlackBerry device. BlackBerry applications can write only to the BlackBerry device memory that the BlackBerry® Java® Virtual Machine uses; they cannot access the virtual memory or the persistent storage of other applications (unless they are specifically granted access to do so). A BlackBerry® Java Application can only access persistent storage or user data, or communicate with other applications, through specific BlackBerry APIs. Research In Motion must digitally sign a BlackBerry Java Application that uses these BlackBerry APIs, to provide an audit trail of applications that use sensitive APIs.
    I believe this is from a developer guide.
    08-21-09 10:45 AM

The iphone had only 128mb of app memory and the 3GS got bumped up to 256. So its on par. And S2 will have 256mb.

08-21-09 10:50 AM
    You had a 30 day period in which you could have returned it. I don't understand why you're griping now.

I am griping because I reserve my right to freedom of speech. You would rather I just fall in line a be complacent? I love my Storm but its rediculous to only have 128mb.

And as for the iPhone have 256mb of app memory, can't they not save apps to the regular storage? So they really have 8gb, 16gb or 32gb. Theres no comparison in storage space.
    08-21-09 11:55 AM
    While the iPhone does have up to 33GB of storage, the apps and the OS don't run in that part of the memory. They only use the 256mb and usually you only have about 20-30mb free to run you apps as the OS takes up alot of that space. So while you can install tons of apps on the iPhone you still don't have alot of memory to run them. This is one of the reasons why you can't do multi-tasking on the iPhone. There is simply not enough available memory to run apps in the background.
    08-21-09 11:58 AM
    But at least they can have the app download to use when they want.

08-21-09 12:31 PM
    I am griping because I reserve my right to freedom of speech. You would rather I just fall in line a be complacent? I love my Storm but its rediculous to only have 128mb.

And as for the iPhone have 256mb of app memory, can't they not save apps to the regular storage? So they really have 8gb, 16gb or 32gb. Theres no comparison in storage space.
    Well nothing you say or do is going to change anything...so yep, fall in line and you will be less frustrated. They are working on making apps run from the SD card or onboard memi think anyway, so we should see it eventually.

Like stated...I think app storage and multitasking are big issues for why the apps are stored where they are. If you want to store apps on the Storm on the SD cad or other memory, use app world to archive it. I still think archiving is crap and can list about 10 reasons why it sucks but it might work for some of you.
    08-21-09 03:05 PM
    I still think archiving is crap and can list about 10 reasons why it sucks but it might work for some of you.
    The most useful thing about archiving is if you have to wipe your BB. Once you load up App world all the apps that you had installed show up as archived. Makes it quicker and easier to reinstall everything.
    08-21-09 03:07 PM
    The most useful thing about archiving is if you have to wipe your BB. Once you load up App world all the apps that you had installed show up as archived. Makes it quicker and easier to reinstall everything.
    eh, i will stick with mobihand app, it has them all in a list too, take longer but i have 5-10 apps i got for free and many more for a lot less than 2.99 from them
    08-21-09 03:43 PM
    eh, i will stick with mobihand app, it has them all in a list too, take longer but i have 5-10 apps i got for free and many more for a lot less than 2.99 from them
    I agree that mobihand is better, it is the only place where I buy apps from. If it is free and avilable on app world I get it there.
    08-21-09 03:46 PM
    Why couldnt they do the app memory like iphone were they download it to the memory card it would have made the storm 50000 times better if they did and if this is true can they change it?
    because...mudkipz

over 9000 mudkipz
    08-21-09 04:27 PM
    Yeah, I never understood this either. From what I read the app memory is carved out of the on-board memory already. And RIM can specify how much to use.

I just wonder if it is an OS limitation and if more was supplied the phone would error. Kind of how 32 bit OS's can only use 3GB of Ram. They do not error if more Ram is available, but maybe the BB OS would.
    i believe the partition is in the BIOS, idk if an OS update would change that...
    08-21-09 04:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD