I don't know where it all goes. I have the following apps on the phone.
    BlackBerry Messenger - 3.0Mb
    Electric FM - 309Kb
    UberTwitter - 550Kb
    Viigo - 1.5Mb
    WeatherEye -689Kb
    As well as Google Maps - Not sure of size.
    Word, Sheet, Slideshow To Go, Flickr and MySpace - On phone from new but I can't delete Flickr and MySpace.

I only have 105Mb Free according to the App Store. Where does it all go?
    03-05-10 01:58 PM
    The phone memory, the only thing the SD card is used for is media and stored documents.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-10 02:14 PM
    I know that. There's 256Mb allocated for apps on the phone. I have 105Mb left so where did 151Mb go when as far as I know only have just over 6Mb taken up with apps? Not sure how big Google Maps and the others are.
    03-05-10 02:21 PM
    The OS takes up the balance plus space needed for your device to operate.
    03-05-10 02:25 PM
    Ah right OK fair enough. Apps that are constantly running whether I want them there or not are:
    Phone, Messages, Home Screen - Obviously

Browser and BlackBerry Messenger - I can see why Messenger is open but currently I don't use it can I stop it for now without deleting it? Also why is the browser always running? Is that because it's a smartphone and assumes you always need it running?
    Last edited by MartynVRS; 03-05-10 at 02:39 PM.
    03-05-10 02:33 PM
    105MB is wayyyy more than your phone needs to function properly...My 9000 gets under 20 sometimes and still works fine. On my 9700, I have meterberry set to notify me if it goes under 50.
    03-05-10 02:40 PM
    Ah right OK fair enough. Apps that are constantly running whether I want them there or not are:
    Phone, Messages, Home Screen - Obviously

Browser and BlackBerry Messenger - I can see why Messenger is open but currently I don't use it can I stop it for now without deleting it? Also why is the browser always running? Is that because it's a smartphone and assumes you always need it running?
    Blackberry's Smart Phone's data connections are not always running. They are on when used. off when not. That is what keeps the battery life good on the devices. There is nothing you can do to shut down those two applications out side of deleting them from the phone.
    03-05-10 02:47 PM
    Ah that's fine then so nothing to worry about. Can you give me a link to Meter Berry.
    03-05-10 02:51 PM
    No one has answered the OP's question and it's something I've wanted to know, as well. Why is it that when you download a 600kb app, 3mb disappears?? Also, I'm a new berry user and I didn't realize that when you upgrade an existing app, you have to delete the original and then download the upgrade. I had assumed it would just overwrite the existing app. I learned that the hard way after 3 bbm upgrades. I had over 20mb just vanish because of that. So, if anyone can answer the OP's question, it would help me, as well.

03-06-10 10:37 AM
    No one has answered the OP's question and it's something I've wanted to know, as well. Why is it that when you download a 600kb app, 3mb disappears?? Also, I'm a new berry user and I didn't realize that when you upgrade an existing app, you have to delete the original and then download the upgrade. I had assumed it would just overwrite the existing app. I learned that the hard way after 3 bbm upgrades. I had over 20mb just vanish because of that. So, if anyone can answer the OP's question, it would help me, as well.

As far as upgrading an app, I just did this on flixster and scoremobile and just asked me to overwrite them, which I did and did a reboot and no old apps on my device, just the new upgraded version. Not sure why you had to go through all that. Not sure about your other question in regards to where 3mb goes.

03-06-10 11:14 AM

You can still get rid of the old modules manually.... just be careful to delete the correct ones. Also, I think meterberry has a 'reclaim memory' feature. that will grab some of the memory back.

Also, if you take a look in modules, you will see just how many things are running!! Some apps have several modules that are always running, and that takes memory. Even when those apps are closed out, I think it still reserves a certain ammount of memory so you can pick up where you left off once the app is reopened. Apps that use more data would be Viigo or other RSS feeds that need to store the actual feeds, weather data that is stored, etc. so they use much more space than their actual program size.
    Last edited by Synergie; 03-06-10 at 12:51 PM.
    03-06-10 12:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD