Seriously...

I read posts all day long about memory in the 40 - 50's.

I personally have never seen my Storm with anything more than 30mb. Now dont get me wrong though... its FAST.

But randomly will it just catch the hour glass going for no reason, for awhile.

Any thoughts?
    03-01-09 11:44 PM
    I feel ya buddy. I never get over 30, and I have QuickPull do a scheduled reset everyone morning at 5 am. I don't have an overwhelming number of apps, and I try to close them out if I'm not using them, but it still stays between 15-30 mb for me. No clue why.
    03-01-09 11:47 PM
    Check this link and maybe it can help you...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...lecture+series
    03-01-09 11:48 PM
    Ya. I mean I wont lie. Ill get a **** load of apps, simply cause I love going to work saying ooooooo look at what my BB do now.

But I pretty much delete them as soon as my enjoyment dies.

I also love how mid day, my app memory will be in the kbs.
    03-01-09 11:50 PM
    I have caught myself running with 1-2....hehehehe still works fine, only orientation change slows really
    03-01-09 11:50 PM
    I had it in the 40's for a few minutes when i added a new theme (makes no sense) but then it went back down when I upgraded to .109 30 min later - at about 20 right now...whatever
    03-02-09 12:21 AM
    It depends on what apps you installed and what OS you're running.

I just wiped my Storm, started with 43.6MB, after installing about 10-12 apps, I'm at 30. Running .75.
    03-02-09 12:24 AM
    I've had in the neighborhood of 400K or so of memory and only noticed by chance when inadvertently clicking on memory when trying to hit MMS. I didn't notice any appreciable difference in performance even at that dramatically low number.

Are people really seeing memory related performance hits worthy of the countless "OMG, HUGE MEMORY LEAK!" posts?

By no means am I suggesting that there aren't memory management issues, but I am just not seeing my device performing adversely as a result of reduced free application memory.
    03-02-09 09:23 AM
    I've had in the neighborhood of 400K or so of memory and only noticed by chance when inadvertently clicking on memory when trying to hit MMS. I didn't notice any appreciable difference in performance even at that dramatically low number.

Are people really seeing memory related performance hits worthy of the countless "OMG, HUGE MEMORY LEAK!" posts?

By no means am I suggesting that there aren't memory management issues, but I am just not seeing my device performing adversely as a result of reduced free application memory.
    400k????????
    03-02-09 09:24 AM
    What are you guys using to check memory? Do you use an app of just dig into the phone?
    03-02-09 09:27 AM
    No. In the past, as I understand it since the Storm is my first BB, BBs would delete messages and address book entries when app mem got too low. Which is probably where some people picked up the habit of obsessing over free app mem. The Storm seems to correct this nasty habit, and seems to have vastly improved memory management abilities overall. Could probably be better, but compared to those that came before, it sounds like a big big improvement.

But most people just assume bigger is better without any true understanding. What good is a mansion that covers 10 square acres if I'm the only one living there? Or maybe it's just me and the future Mrs. Bigman2, and it's like some old Saturday Night Live skit making fun of Bill Gates, where he says he thought he saw his wife head off into the East wing of the house about a week ago. Memory is there to be used, otherwise it's just wasting battery power for nothing.
    03-02-09 09:32 AM
    What are you guys using to check memory? Do you use an app of just dig into the phone?
    options>memory
    03-02-09 10:01 AM
    Options then memory
    03-02-09 10:03 AM
    BerryMeter is really something i would advice.... for easy "monitoring".

i am usually around 45 Mb after a BP... running a custom theme seems to make it "leak" a bit more.

did a BP friday around 5pm.. over the weekend normal/moderate use, i was at -20 Mb (meaning leaked 20 Mb) at some point yesterday (sunday), this morning at around -15 Mb (leaked 15 Mb) i rebooted after installing the new public release of File Manager Pro..
    03-02-09 10:10 AM
    i know i'm a n00b, and I just got my storm, but in the help section on the storm itself, it says try to maintain about 400k of app memory. So I'm confused why some people get all bent out of shape if they "only" have 30 MB's versus 50.
    03-02-09 10:29 AM
    Not trying to install every application under the sun will help your app memory tremendously. Most of the application do not really need to be installed on the device....things like WeatherBug, Facebook, etc etc. You can always access those sites through your web browser.

Mine is constantly in the upper twenties, and the device is working just fine. Very responsive. And I am still on .75 OS. So, getting 40+MB of app memory is nice, but is not necessary.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-09 10:30 AM
    with .75 my has always hovered around 24Meg. and seems to run ok at that level.
    03-02-09 10:46 AM
    i know i'm a n00b, and I just got my storm, but in the help section on the storm itself, it says try to maintain about 400k of app memory. So I'm confused why some people get all bent out of shape if they "only" have 30 MB's versus 50.
    Some people are more disposed to obsessive compulsive disorder than others. The need to constantly monitor free app mem, and keep it above some particular level, is just a symptom of this predisposition.
    03-02-09 11:33 AM
    I'm at 18 and my phone is running smooth as warm butter =)

Edit: I'm running .109 if anyone is wondering

03-02-09 12:23 PM
    Some people are more disposed to obsessive compulsive disorder than others. The need to constantly monitor free app mem, and keep it above some particular level, is just a symptom of this predisposition.
    Yup. Quoted for truth.

03-02-09 01:38 PM
    Gaining application memory is as easy as cleaning the phone of all the things you will never use. If you browse through many of the different storm improvements thread you will find different methods to do this.

Originally through just deleting a few things here and there I had about 43 free application memory after a pull. Going to .109 my phone bricked and after unbricking using AppLoader I loaded all of the things I would need and didnt upload the things I wouldnt need ( languages..useless apps I dont use..ect) as well as cleaning up the menus.

After unbricking my phone its actually better now than it ever was before. Through DM all of my setting and info was restored, and now my memory is about 53 after a battery pull and it never goes under 30 mb.
    Last edited by JDevenger; 03-02-09 at 01:53 PM.
    03-02-09 01:51 PM
    is my 9530 the only storm that hasnt slowed down around here? lol Mine works pretty damn fast and good, havent had any errors or memory leaking and i got it in january
    03-03-09 12:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD