OK, I've been reading here for a while but I'm still not really "geeked up" with all the things BlackBerry.

I've been reading about the new OS coming tomorrow, and many are suggesting using App Loader to upgrade. App Loader is.................... what? How is it different from DM, and why do I need one/it?
    03-28-10 09:23 AM
    App Loader is the Application Loader which actually performs the update. It can be accessed from BlackBerry Desktop Manager, but many people recommend running it directly from the folder where it resides on your computer.
    03-28-10 09:42 AM
    Ah! Got it now, thank you!
    03-28-10 09:50 AM
    No matter which way you do it, some of us recommend using Desktop Manager to do your own backup of data. Just as a precaution.
    03-28-10 10:05 AM
    What's the difference of upgrading your OS through DM or apploader? Don't they both back up your device before loading the new OS and then reload everything back up again? Is there really a difference of how the OS loads or anything? I'm just curious because it seems like they both do the same thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-10 10:14 AM
    I am speculating but DM appears to check over the internet if an update is available and it might "intervene" when you attempt an update that does not match your carrier or for some other reason. I think apploader skips that check.
    03-28-10 11:09 AM
    First of all, I would ALWAYS recommend doing a manual backup in BlackBerry Desktop Manager before updating the OS. And as a precaution, allow the App Loader to create another backup during the update process. You can never be too safe.

People recommend using the App Loader because sometimes BlackBerry Desktop Manager doesn't always recognize the phone OS installed on the computer (particularly with leaked versions). And you don't have to wait for BlackBerry Desktop Manager to go through all its gyrations.
    03-28-10 11:09 AM
    I agree with the backups, I make sure to do one all the time before I upgrade. And I understand using apploader with the leaked OS or an OS from another carrier. But if its from your carrier DM will recognize that there's an update available and let you know. Won't it take just as long to plug into DM and let it do its thing, and then with apploader you will have to uninstall a previous OS and then download the new OS and install it on your computer. So it pretty much takes up the same amount time either way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-10 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD