its not data though, its part of the voice plan and always has been.

Like stated i think its $10 to get unlimited sms now. When i added it to my plan a couple years ago it was only $5. Any parent who is smart get it on there plan that way there teenager only costs them a whopping $10 a month.

And yes, like i stated the way RIM does SMS/MMS is pretty much untouchable. That wouldnt matter anyway because if someone sends you a sms, its routed through VZW anyway and you pay no matter if you actually get it to your BB.
    07-05-09 08:11 PM
    Like I stated previously...I dont wanna give up a killer plan, just so I can get some unlimited text messaging. It would still be a better deal to pay 20 bucks and get 2000 text allowance. I don't even really go over my 250 allowance, but I am trying to understand why this hasn't been done yet that is all.

And yes, like i stated the way RIM does SMS/MMS is pretty much untouchable. That wouldnt matter anyway because if someone sends you a sms, its routed through VZW anyway and you pay no matter if you actually get it to your BB.
    Okay, why is that you can go online and send a free text? Why cant I do that thru a app? Granted I may not be able to receive them without being charged, I should still be able to send them for free.
    07-05-09 08:25 PM
    Like I stated previously...I dont wanna give up a killer plan, just so I can get some unlimited text messaging. It would still be a better deal to pay 20 bucks and get 2000 text allowance. I don't even really go over my 250 allowance, but I am trying to understand why this hasn't been done yet that is all.

Okay, why is that you can go online and send a free text? Why cant I do that thru a app? Granted I may not be able to receive them without being charged, I should still be able to send them for free.
    As a developer let me just clear this up for you if nobody has done so before that even sending messages over the internet requires a server and any app that sends texts over the internet would have to connect to that server to then forward it on to the correct mobiles.. BUT that server will also have to have permissions for, have access to and pay for the ability to forward it on to other mobile numbers.. so even if an app was developed for such a thing you would be charged.. there arent really any trully free mobile apps that allow free messaging you need to buy tokens/bundles etc.. and as for some internet services that let you send free sms messages they normally have a limit to free ones of between 10-30 a day or make there money back through advertising
    07-18-09 07:21 PM
    Google Voice will allow you to send sms for free.
    07-18-09 07:28 PM
    I dont really go over my allowance, so it's not that big of a deal, but it just seems kind of silly that there is no app that allows you to send text using the data plan you already pay for.
    Ok so you don't even use over 250 text, which in all reality is only $5, so you're trying to avoid $5. Honestly dude, just use the email feature then. it'll charge your friend their normal rate, but is included in your Data plan. Then ask verizon to Block SMS. Simple as that. Oh, or just call the person. IT'S 5 BUCKS!

And BTW, You're lucky you were able to grandfather your plan, because every new phone since the voyager has to be on the Nationwide Calling Plan. If you're gonna edit anything on your account, they will advise that they will need to change your rate plan. if you've had verizon for (i dont' remember how many years) there is called a Loyalty Plan, which is lower minutes and a lower price.
    07-18-09 07:36 PM
    I tried to send sms with my email and it works only once. The instructions say to hit reply and it's supposed to go to your email but the person I send the sms to says they get an error.
    07-20-09 09:51 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD