After loading new OS verison 313 I have a white screen with App Error 523 on it. Phone won't do anything. Other than taking it to Nextel anything i can do at home?

Thanks for the help
    11-27-09 09:31 AM
    ** 523 A critical Java process has died and the device cannot continue to operate normally.

BBSAK it, wipe it, reinstall 313
    11-27-09 09:52 AM
    Good luck, that sucks. Your not the only one with troubles when updating to 313. Did you stop it while updating? Did it just show error before finishing?
    11-27-09 11:00 AM
    no has been running 313 for 3 to 4 days before error came up.
    11-27-09 08:35 PM
    BBSAK please explain do not understand
    11-27-09 08:36 PM
    BBSAK please explain do not understand
    bbsak is a software that's use to completely wipe blackberrys, google it, it's free.
    11-27-09 08:54 PM
    I had the dreaded App Error 523 a while back after a previous update this spring. Hopefully you made a backup recently, that saved me a lot of trouble. The problem with the 523 error is your phone is trying to boot up but gets hung up due to the Java error.

By trial and error, I finally got a restore to work even though DM wouold not recognize my phone and did not have to do a full Wipe of my 8350i, this worked for me BUT try it ONLY at your own risk - you could brick the phone:

1) Open Desktop Manager; (do not connect phone to USB yet) just open DM

2) Pull the battery and leave it out of the phone.

3) With DM already open, connect the USB cable to the computer, then insert the battery into the phone.

4) As the phone starts to boot, you will most likely still get the 523 error but watch the bottom left of the DM window for it to recognize the phone, if it does, install your latest backup. (Mine did not recognize the phone at this step)

5) IF DM does not recognize the phone don't worry, as even though your PIN is not showing in the bottom left of DM, you may still be able to do a "restore" if you have a recent backup. Click on the BACKUP and RESTOR Icon on the main DM page, then click on Restore, select your latest backup and wait - the restore would not start so I waitied about 2 minutes to see if the restore would start, then I just disconnected the USB cable from the computer, waited about 5 seconds and re-inserted the USB - the restore process then began. Once restore begins, just wait as each step takes a few minutes.

6) If the above does not work, or if you have no backup to install, then the WIPE is probably your only choice. There are a lot of "fixes" others have used successfully for the 523 problem, just try googling "Blackberry 523 error."

Good Luck.
    11-27-09 10:30 PM
    RAMITDN - I forgot to include this link in my previous message - you might wish to try this first, from the RIM support site:

View Document
    11-27-09 10:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD