When my AT&T 9700 reboots it first gives me a message on the screen, in very small letters, that says

App Error 523

Then I have to physically push the red phone button again to get it awake.

Anyone else have this issue?
    11-24-09 03:08 PM
    I had that issue. Reloaded the OS twice on the device and while trying to configure the settings, it happened again. Returned it and got a new one
    11-24-09 03:15 PM
    I had the same problem the other day. Tmobile rep told me to reload the os but that didn't work. After about five minutes of trying to reload the os the phone just restarted and it has been working fine since then.
    11-24-09 03:31 PM
    I have been getting this same error. I thought it was an OS bug/issue with some of the older OS builds but it just occurred with .405! So now it's been happening across multiple OS builds! I was then thinking its maybe an issue with a 3rd party app. This whole time thinking its a software issue. Now, after reading the second post in this thread, I'm thinking maybe its a hardware issue. I'm not sure just wish I could stop it. If I can't then I'm going to have to return my berry. I really didn't want to do that, seeing how its unlocked now and all apps registered to this pin!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-09 12:43 AM
    I had this error before. What I did was wipe phone and reinstall OS
    Check my posts

Last edited by dicecube; 12-07-09 at 12:58 AM.
    12-07-09 12:54 AM
    I had this error before. What I did was wipe phone and reinstall OS

Did you ever receive the error after that? Or did that fix the problem?

12-07-09 01:00 AM
    i have been having the same issue ALL DAY.

i upgraded to the latest OS, and still does it. even worse now!

will try a wipe and reinstall tomorrow. past that, im going to get a new one.
    12-07-09 01:16 AM
    Did you ever receive the error after that? Or did that fix the problem?

Fixed my problem

12-07-09 01:47 AM
    Ah rubbish!! I've been having this happen to me. Today was the 3rd time and it seems unprovoked. I hardly have any apps running on my 9700 at all and everything I bought was thru BB App World, so it's not like a bunch of bootleg BS on my BB!

Buggy BS...I have no time for this.
    12-10-09 11:55 PM
    I've become frustrated as **** with this app error. I've wiped and loaded .405 twice and .423 3 times with fresh installs of all apps and this error keeps coming back. It, is intermittent and happens even if no apps are running per say. Only things running would be bbm, youmail, home, browser, call log, & messages. I don't mess with 3rd party themes. Just precision zen. I've done fresh installs of each app individually ota after each wipe (not using any apps with known compatibility issues or anything random), also happened with 2 micro sd cards and 3 different batteries. Half of the time it would error out with no apps running and the phone just sitting. I really don't feel like switching phones if it is not a hardware issue but i feel like I've done everything else. Anyone come up with any other theories?
    01-10-10 09:57 AM
    I'd get this error when I wake up in the morning. (late because the alarm didn't go off) I turned off Auto ON/OFF feature (my BB was turning itself off at 5AM and then turning it back on at 5:01AM) and I don't have this error message in the morning. I had originally set it to restart at 5AM because a T-Mobile rep recommended that I do this back when I had Curve 8900.
    01-10-10 11:17 AM
    Ah rubbish!! I've been having this happen to me. Today was the 3rd time and it seems unprovoked. I hardly have any apps running on my 9700 at all and everything I bought was thru BB App World, so it's not like a bunch of bootleg BS on my BB!

Buggy BS...I have no time for this.
    523's are kicked 99% of the time due to a 3rd party application process having trouble. Most of the time you can just press reset and the device will reboot and you can go on your way. But it's best to remove and reinstall the applications to get rid of the issue should it be a recurring problem. Below is a link to a Application Errors List
    01-10-10 11:33 AM
    523's are kicked 99% of the time due to a 3rd party application process having trouble. Most of the time you can just press reset and the device will reboot and you can go on your way. But it's best to remove and reinstall the applications to get rid of the issue should it be a recurring problem. Below is a link to a Application Errors List
    Is there any chance it could be a hardware issue? I've done everything I've stated above and then some.

Update: Wiped and loaded .423 for the fourth time. Restored (no apps), bat pull, downloaded app world >>>kicked the 523 right away. Rebooted, deleted appworld, bat pull, gonna download everything ota and keep app world off BB and see what happens.
    Last edited by BlackberryBlake; 01-10-10 at 07:35 PM.
    01-10-10 05:59 PM
    I don't use App World and have never had. 523 error on a 9700.

01-10-10 08:27 PM
    I don't use App World and have never had. 523 error on a 9700.

I don't know why I do. The only thing I had that I dL'ed from there was weatherbug which i decided to keep off the BB also. It doesn't show up as running in the background but it could be it being that it is widget like. So far so good but its really too soon to tell. If it makes it thru the nite i'll find an ota link.

Update: App World, or weatherbug which I downloaded from there was def the culperate. WB doesn't show as running in background but does update "when not running". Downloaded weatherbug ota and keeping app world off. 20 hrs and still going strong!
    Last edited by BlackberryBlake; 01-11-10 at 05:03 PM.
    01-10-10 08:34 PM
    (Wouldn't normally post twice in a row but this is a completely new 9700 and problem)

Long story short, dropped the 9700 & was still working fine but all scratched up so returned it and got a new one. Tried a few things and wipes but APP ERROR 523 keeps popping up! Not battery, not sd card. Now fresh os install, bone stock, no apps, themes etc. None. No restore either. First thing I did was went to dL BBM ota and it threw the error. Is it more likely its BBM or the hardware?
    01-20-10 05:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD