Someone made a custom theme for me and for some reason when I hover over the icons on my homescreen, they don't all light up. He then tried to change it so the background color of the icon would change, however, it only works from the app screen and not the home screen. So either way I can't tell what app I'm on from the homescreen and I don't want to have to constantly go to the app screen to be able to see what apps are hovered over as it would defeat the purpose of the custom theme

Since the issue seems to be the 3rd party app icons and not the theme (the standard icons for messages, calendar etc work fine), I was wondering if there's an app that will allow me to replace the 3rd party app icons with different icons so they will highlight?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-11 10:52 AM
    Someone made a custom theme for me and for some reason when I hover over the icons on my homescreen, they don't all light up. He then tried to change it so the background color of the icon would change, however, it only works from the app screen and not the home screen. So either way I can't tell what app I'm on from the homescreen and I don't want to have to constantly go to the app screen to be able to see what apps are hovered over as it would defeat the purpose of the custom theme

Since the issue seems to be the 3rd party app icons and not the theme (the standard icons for messages, calendar etc work fine), I was wondering if there's an app that will allow me to replace the 3rd party app icons with different icons so they will highlight?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!!

Changing a 3rd party icon won't make a difference, I'm afraid.

The highlights you see are overlays or underlays that are additional to the program icons. A blue background to an otherwise unchanged icon is an example of an underlay. A bullet superimposed on an icon is an example of an overlay. Sometimes the overlay is a modified version of the "regular" icon.

In any case, when you hover over an icon, you're seeing something other than the standard program icon.

The icons are compiled into the .cod files and cannot be changed.
    04-25-11 12:11 PM
    Thanks ubersurfer for the reply!

Underlay is what they have, I just couldn't think of what it was called, so ty

It does suck that there's no way to fix it though (he's tried) as I really like the theme otherwise. I just don't get why the underlay only works on some of the icons from the homescreen, but works on all of them perfectly from the app screen. Makes zero sense to me, but then again, I don't know the first thing about building a theme.

Thanks again!!

04-25-11 12:21 PM
    hehe! gotta hate that when that happens, eh?
    04-25-11 03:13 PM
    You can make sure only hilighting. just create the rollover icon with a glow. so when you touch the normal icon the rollover icon will be showing.

depending on which app you can use our magicIcon app here magicIcon - Change system and 3rd party application icon with any picture - Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store and change most 3rd party and system appIcons.
    04-25-11 05:13 PM
    You can make sure only hilighting. just create the rollover icon with a glow. so when you touch the normal icon the rollover icon will be showing.

depending on which app you can use our magicIcon app here magicIcon - Change system and 3rd party application icon with any picture - Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store and change most 3rd party and system appIcons.
    I purchased MagicIcon last night but seem to be having problems getting it to work because it keeps freezing on me

04-26-11 10:31 AM
    I purchased MagicIcon last night but seem to be having problems getting it to work because it keeps freezing on me

where does it freeze and what exactly are you doing? which app are you trying to change?
    04-26-11 10:51 AM
    where does it freeze and what exactly are you doing? which app are you trying to change?
    When I click to change the BBM icon the screen opens to select the icon/focus icon, but as soon as I click the box to select the new icon, it freezes. It eventually does unfreeze, but it takes a few minutes which is just kind of a nuisance. But its happened on everyone I've tried to change so far (BBM, Calendar, Camera etc).

I have MagicIcon 2.0.2... Is that the most updated version?

04-26-11 10:59 AM
    When I click to change the BBM icon the screen opens to select the icon/focus icon, but as soon as I click the box to select the new icon, it freezes. It eventually does unfreeze, but it takes a few minutes which is just kind of a nuisance. But its happened on everyone I've tried to change so far (BBM, Calendar, Camera etc).

I have MagicIcon 2.0.2... Is that the most updated version?

could be that the app is scanning the picture folder. if you have alot of files then it might be slow.

the messenger app might not work and you need to goto the Advanced screen from the menu and then select Messenger from there.
    04-26-11 11:59 AM
    could be that the app is scanning the picture folder. if you have alot of files then it might be slow.

the messenger app might not work and you need to goto the Advanced screen from the menu and then select Messenger from there.
    It works, it just takes quite a bit of time. But I'll try to separate the images into more folders and see if that helps.

Thanks!

04-26-11 12:03 PM
    It works, it just takes quite a bit of time. But I'll try to separate the images into more folders and see if that helps.

Thanks!

yes. the best is just create a new folder on the sd card then copy all your icons there
    04-26-11 12:46 PM
    +1 for Magic Icon. One of my all-time favorite apps. It lets you be very creative. I change almost all of my icons. What would help a lot is to be able to back up the settings to the SD Card so that you don't have to keep setting up your icons after every OS change.

I keep my icons in a separate folder on the Device. Doesn't that help when you're hooked up to the computer and charging via USB? I'm pretty sure that you lose access to your SD Card when doing this. Right?
    04-27-11 08:00 AM
    +1 for Magic Icon. One of my all-time favorite apps. It lets you be very creative. I change almost all of my icons. What would help a lot is to be able to back up the settings to the SD Card so that you don't have to keep setting up your icons after every OS change.

I keep my icons in a separate folder on the Device. Doesn't that help when you're hooked up to the computer and charging via USB? I'm pretty sure that you lose access to your SD Card when doing this. Right?
    So far I like MagicIcon pretty well, but I do agree that it would be nice to have a way to backup the icons and to also be able to remove them without having to reboot (possibly have a preview option to avoid this).

As far as storing them, I use my SD card to keep from having to take up space on my device. But I can access them in mass storage mode, so its not a problem when the device is hooked up to my PC. Works out rather nicely actually

04-27-11 10:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD