Hey everyone,

I am really excited for the App Center, but why havent we heard any real details yet? I mean, it is coming out in March, next month! Why have we not seen many screenshots or gotten any info?

When do you think we'll see some stuff?
    02-06-09 02:07 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if they postpone it.

I think RIM was expecting a ton of developers to start creating apps, and really it's not at that point yet.

They already took a huge media hit with the laggyness etc of the storm. Can you imagine if they release the long awaited app store and there are only 20 apps in it. People would go crazy I think.

P.S. there is a link somewhere on RIM's site where you can signup and receive info on the app store via email. I still haven't heard anything.
    02-06-09 02:13 PM

I think RIM was expecting a ton of developers to start creating apps, and really it's not at that point yet.
    Do you have some sort of reliable source for "it's not at that point yet"?

If I had to make an educated guess I would put the target date of the App Store release at March 31 since that is also the target release date of the next official firmware update.
    02-06-09 02:44 PM
    I'd assume an official OS update would come out first, for the following reasons:

1) This would possibly address any late found issues with the App store/storm interaction
    2) They would want to start a second media blitz for the storm, and want to be able to say the bugs have all been worked out. Easier to do with a less buggy OS just released.
    02-06-09 03:01 PM
    If they were to postpone it would be better to let people know sooner than later.

If the App Center does come out and it sucks, this paper weight is getting sold. I like Mac OS better anyway.
    02-06-09 03:04 PM
    Do you have some sort of reliable source for "it's not at that point yet"?

If I had to make an educated guess I would put the target date of the App Store release at March 31 since that is also the target release date of the next official firmware update.
    No I don't have any facts or anything like that. My guess is as educated as everyone else.

If they were to postpone it would be better to let people know sooner than later.

If the App Center does come out and it sucks, this paper weight is getting sold. I like Mac OS better anyway.
    No one is holding a gun to your head. If you don't like it get rid of it and get an iPhone.
    02-06-09 03:23 PM
    App Center = pipe dream.
    02-06-09 03:25 PM
    App Center = pipe dream.
    lol... You already have the App Center on your phone.

I think you all are referring to the App Storefront.

Here's the official announcement from RIM.
    02-06-09 03:27 PM
    I'd assume an official OS update would come out first, for the following reasons:

1) This would possibly address any late found issues with the App store/storm interaction
    2) They would want to start a second media blitz for the storm, and want to be able to say the bugs have all been worked out. Easier to do with a less buggy OS just released.
    Heh... well, "addressing any late found issues" does not seem to be RIM's m.o. as we all know !!

Second, I think releasing the App Store with a new software update would be the best media blitz to hope for. I think releasing a new software update without App Store would actually do more harm than good.
    02-06-09 03:39 PM
    I think releasing a new software update without App Store would actually do more harm than good.
    How? I dont really follow you there.
    02-06-09 04:25 PM
    No one is holding a gun to your head. If you don't like it get rid of it and get an iPhone.
    Ummm... actually VZ holds the gun and $175 fee are the bullets.

And I don't recall complaining so take a chill pill.
    02-06-09 04:35 PM
    well after reading a news report and knowing how vzw runs things im not holding my breath. this is what gets me
    The environment compatibility will be restricted to just the BlackBerry Bold and OS 4.7, the latter of which is used on the BlackBerry Storm. These guys will be able to surf through the third-party applications selected by their wireless service providers, but all the other BlackBerry owners will have to sit tight until support sweeps out across the rest of the line.
    02-06-09 09:00 PM
    Ummm... actually VZ holds the gun and $175 fee are the bullets.

And I don't recall complaining so take a chill pill.
    Well you said if the app center sucks you were going to sell your phone. You also stated you like Mac OS better so I was just assuming you were going to get an iPhone.

Also
    "this paper weight is getting sold. I like Mac OS better anyway."

That could be taken as a complaint lol. I didn't mean anything by it though, I was jsut saying if you're not happy why not get something you're happy with. No app what so ever would make me keep a phone that I refer to as a paper weight.
    02-06-09 09:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD