I was wondering if anyone has used the premium version of Docs To Go yet on the Storm.

If so, how is the editing of word, excel, powerpoints in relation to a WM device?

Have you opened up and edited 2007 docs and if so have there been any issues?

How do you like the Pdfs To Go application?

I've been stuck with a WM phone for the last few years and am considering going to the Storm. However, I need to be able to view and edit the above documents like I can on my WM device. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    01-02-09 02:27 PM
    I use to have a WM phone (motorola Q 9m) and never used it that much since the regular version on the phone couldn't do 2007. With the Docs to Go version that comes with the Storm, I have been able to open several 2007 docs, and it is quite easy to edit and add to a document, at least in Word. PDFS open and zoom much faster than on my Q as well. I'm not sure what the Pro purchased version gets you except for the ability to make new documents. An easy workaround is just email yourself some blank templates of each file type and then open and save them on the Storm. Another helpful tip is to keep the keyboard set as one of your convenience keys so that you can scroll around full screen, then pop up the KB and type away.

The only caveat is that if you have to type a lot of words at one time you may find the touchscreen keyboard may not be to your liking, but I'd rather have the bigger screen to view docs than a smaller screen and physical keyboard. YMMV.
    01-02-09 03:36 PM
    I use to have a WM phone (motorola Q 9m) and never used it that much since the regular version on the phone couldn't do 2007. With the Docs to Go version that comes with the Storm, I have been able to open several 2007 docs, and it is quite easy to edit and add to a document, at least in Word. PDFS open and zoom much faster than on my Q as well. I'm not sure what the Pro purchased version gets you except for the ability to make new documents. An easy workaround is just email yourself some blank templates of each file type and then open and save them on the Storm. Another helpful tip is to keep the keyboard set as one of your convenience keys so that you can scroll around full screen, then pop up the KB and type away.

The only caveat is that if you have to type a lot of words at one time you may find the touchscreen keyboard may not be to your liking, but I'd rather have the bigger screen to view docs than a smaller screen and physical keyboard. YMMV.
    So the version that comes with the Storm can edit and view 2007 documents? It also comes with the PDF viewer? I thought you had to purchase the upgrade in order to do these things. If not that is a HUGE plus.
    01-02-09 09:57 PM
    Yes, you should be able to view all those things, at least by email, because of the attachment service on the Storm, and the Docs to Go let's you edit them.
    01-03-09 11:03 AM
    Docs to Go website will tell you what the premium edition adds. I do what was mentioned above and just save a blank document and when I need to create one I pull that up, then use save as to maintain the original document. Yes, it can open 2007 files just fine. The free version doesn't have the PDF viewer however. Also, the premium version adds more options for creating tables and what not. I don't use those features, so I haven't popped to $70 yet.
    01-03-09 11:55 AM
    The free version doesn't have PDF but the BB email attachment service has it so you can open it from emails.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-09 12:45 PM
    The free version doesn't have PDF but the BB email attachment service has it so you can open it from emails.

As long as I can open PDF's using the e-mail service, that should work for me. I guess if I needed to view a PDF that I have (not in an e-mail) I could always just e-mail it to myself. Much better than spending the $70 for the upgrade. Thanks for the input.
    01-03-09 01:08 PM
    Incredible. Blows the basic version away. I upgraded about a week ago. First of all, you get PDF to Go, which does most of the same things for PDF's that DTG does for Office docs. Second, it lets you create Office docs on the Storm. Third, it works. Unlike may 3rd party app developers, Dataviz really has their act together and this app works perfectly (OS .85). Fourth, possibly the most important, both DTG versions do all their work locally on the Storm. Your security sensitive docs don't get sent to someone's server. I verified this with DataViz personally. You can turn the radio off and the apps still work. For my strictly business use, this was the "closer" on converting to the Storm. Hope this helps. 73
    01-04-09 01:21 AM
    I'm running .85 and Docs to Go says it cannot open 07 files. The only doc I've tried to open was an Excel spreadsheet, I haven't tried but maybe word will open, but I cannot open 07 Excel. Am I missing something?
    01-04-09 10:52 AM
    I'm running .85 and Docs to Go says it cannot open 07 files. The only doc I've tried to open was an Excel spreadsheet, I haven't tried but maybe word will open, but I cannot open 07 Excel. Am I missing something?
    Is your Docs to Go the latest version (1.005)? You have to be running the latest version to have 07 support. You can do this by opening any of the doc to go apps, press the BB key and the check for update. It should find 1.005 if you have only 1.004. It will give you the option to upgrade after you register if you haven't already done so.

01-04-09 12:52 PM
    I use BeamBerry. I can create new doc, xls, or ppt files with that, and then use the free version of Docs to edit them. Works great, plus BeamBerry will open PDFs.
    01-04-09 01:04 PM
    I had an 8830 for a year and got most all of their apps. They were mostly lame. I have a very large pdf file of a nuclear well log on my Storm. When I show people how I can scroll, pan, and zoom, they are stunned. This came with my Storm from Verizon.

Tell me true, one more time, having this package, in comparison with what is already installed on my Storm, will blow me away as to its handling of pdf, doc, and xls files !

I now recant my position at least partly on the app Docs To Go. I had confused it with some prior offerings from other companies. How can it be crapware and pass the RIM/VZN gauntlet and be called crapware ? I have posted several questions about D2G, premium. I now feel like D2G is well worth the $70 - this base on actually getting it running under 4.7.0.75. With its offering of PDF To Go, I can view blueprints, well logs, and read pdf manuals - all native pdf files dragged and dropped onto my Storm from my Vista-based PC, and not emailed as attachments to my Storm. I is just not realistic to email large and or many files to an email account and then back to your Storm. No need to remove the default app. First register your baseline D2G app. Then just open a doc, xls, or ppt and push da BB button and get the trial version of D2G premium. When you get back to where you were with the default app on doc, xls, and ppt, THEN open a document AGAIN, push da BB button, and look to get a trial copy of PDF To Go. It is way cool. It blows me away.

Be aware: our Storms are not 3GHZ Quads, so rendering all these files takes time. Get the trial and decide for yourself. For me, the premium D2G with the PDF bonus works well.
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 01-21-09 at 02:21 PM. Reason: more info and change of postion
    01-04-09 05:21 PM
    There is a free trial period on the one that came on your phone.
    01-04-09 05:36 PM
    I had an 8830 for a year and got most all of their apps. They were mostly lame. I have a very large pdf file of a nuclear well log on my Storm. When I show people how I can scroll, pan, and zoom, they are stunned. This came with my Storm from Verizon.

Tell me true, one more time, having this package, in comparison with what is already installed on my Storm, will blow me away as to its handling of pdf, doc, and xls files !
    I have a 378 page handbook that it opens in a few seconds. No problem navigating to any section. File is 2.25MB. Big enough? 73
    01-04-09 10:38 PM
    I have a 378 page handbook that it opens in a few seconds. No problem navigating to any section. File is 2.25MB. Big enough? 73
    Sounds like I may want to get the upgrade. I just have a problem spending $70 for an app.
    01-06-09 12:01 PM
    PDF to go has a better wrap text feature than how PDFs look from the browser. PDFs from the browser are generally messed up with font sizes jumping around a lot. The Docs2Go PDF viewer I have with the trial is pretty decent. I can open an ebook with no problem. The NYC subway map PDF from the MTA mobile site doesn't work or takes forever to open on BeamBerry and the Docs2Go viewer. Has anyone been able to view this particular PDF on storm? As for text only PDFs, do they look better when opened through emails than when opened through the browser?
    01-06-09 04:36 PM
    Incredible. Blows the basic version away. I upgraded about a week ago. First of all, you get PDF to Go, which does most of the same things for PDF's that DTG does for Office docs. Second, it lets you create Office docs on the Storm. Third, it works. Unlike may 3rd party app developers, Dataviz really has their act together and this app works perfectly (OS .85). Fourth, possibly the most important, both DTG versions do all their work locally on the Storm. Your security sensitive docs don't get sent to someone's server. I verified this with DataViz personally. You can turn the radio off and the apps still work. For my strictly business use, this was the "closer" on converting to the Storm. Hope this helps. 73
    So, I downloaded and installed the trial version of D2G premium. Now I have ZERO pdf support: I cannot do what I was doing with the default D2G. I can open doc, xls,ppt. Looks like premium locks up with a 2007 Word docx. There are NO pdf modules on my Storm.

After your download/install, do you recall any special incantations you needed to do to get trial premium D2G to work on pdf files ?
    01-21-09 07:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD