I found the app "VisionQuest CarFinder" on getjar.com (can't post links yet) while looking for something that helps you find your parked car. It seems to store the location after your car bluetooth is disconnected, which sounds like a pretty good idea. It is apparently only available as a demo right now. I was wondering if anybody has tried it and can provide any feedback, and (mostly) know if it is something safe to try...

Thanks!
    04-21-09 02:54 PM
    How accurate are gps locations though... Depending on that I dunno how useful this would be since something like finding a car requires pretty good accuracy.
    04-21-09 02:56 PM
    When I use Google Maps and click on the blue dot it normally says that it is showing me my location to within 3 or 6 meters, and I must say it seems about right (when I know where I am!!).
    04-21-09 02:57 PM
    I wonder if 3rd party apps can detect when you disconnect the headphone jack, as I would imagine more cars lack BT connect than have it.
    04-21-09 03:03 PM
    VisionQuest CarFinder has been very accurate, and it runs automatically (in the background), updating where I've parked every time I drive my car. This is way better than other car locating apps I've tried where you have to manually launch them every time you get out of your car. As if.

Bluetooth thing is pretty cool too... you pair your BB's BT with your in-vehicle BT. When I first installed VisionQuest CarFinder it prompted me to choose a BT device. Every time the BT pairing is established (i.e. every time I start my car) VisionQuest CarFinder launches GPS and starts noting my location. When I turn off my car the BT connection is lost, and VisionQuest CarFinder marks the most recent GPS waypoint as the location of where I parked. The whole thing runs in the background, so it doesn't interfere with anything else I'm doing (on phone, email, games, etc). Pretty cool.

Website (4carfinder.com) mentions a BT Car Charger that they're going to be offering for people who don't have in-vehicle BT.
    Last edited by CoolApps; 05-03-09 at 03:00 PM.
    05-03-09 02:55 PM
    i may have to spring for the BT Car Charger. i really don't mind setting the location manually, but auto would even easier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-09 03:15 PM
    I use the manual mode and I don't want it to run automatically because it seems to drain the battery. I find the program hard to shut off completely. Does anyone have any advice?
    01-25-10 07:46 AM
    i also use it on manual and noticed the same thing. You won't be able to shut the app off completely if you have your device bluetooth enabled.

To shut the app off:

Turn off device bluetooth
    Open Car Finder App
    Pop Up will appear
    Select NO
    Select NO

Now the app will be off and you should see a red dot next to the icon.

This is something that needs to be addressed somehow. Everytime i reboot i have to go into the app and turn it off. And if i have my bluetooth speakers paired and on, i have to first disable bluetooth and then turn the app off. That is a pain.

Let me know if you understood and if it worked for you.

Otherwise, i really do like this app for parking and hiking.

I use the manual mode and I don't want it to run automatically because it seems to drain the battery. I find the program hard to shut off completely. Does anyone have any advice?
    01-25-10 08:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD