I have downloaded and installed the google voice app from day 1 with my Tour and have stayed logged in and been running it in the background since. This is the only app I have always kept running in the background along with all of the other normal ones, phone, messages, browser, bbm, etc.

I have also noticed very poor battery life from the tour since day 1, which for me is unusual, having owned several blackberries in the past and never encountering this problem, however, I dismissed it thinking it's an OS issue and would be addressed during the first update for the Tour from RIM.

I decided to tweak the settings alittle bit, from screen brightness to turning GPS off to changing global to 1xEV, to see if there were any notable changes. The only thing I didn't change was the GV app from running in the background and still no change.

Last night I decided to log off of the GV app and close it. I have used my phone heavily today and am at 60%. I took my phone off of the charger at 8:45 am and approx 12 hours later here we are. heavy phone use, ubertwitter for 2 hours, heavy heavy text and bbm 5.0 usage with light browsing.

With the GV app running I would have been down to 10-20% right now, which is what I was experiencing before I closed the app and prevented it from running in the background.

Just thought I would share my exp.
    08-12-09 08:11 PM
    Ah-HAH! We have figured out the reason why Apple blocked the Google Voice app from the iPhone... it sucks battery life!
    08-12-09 09:06 PM
    I'm using google voice and there's no apparent problem with battery life. Maybe its your bbm 5.0? I know that some users were reporting problems with using it, some regarding battery life

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-09 09:34 PM
    I have BBM5 and Google Voice and I see no apparent difference in battery life from before I had those two apps installed. Now...I don't use GV much at all so I don't really know, but it doesn't seem to refresh that often because when I get an SMS, it takes a while for it to show up in the app.
    08-12-09 09:38 PM
    Google voice works great for me. Free calling to Canada. Yee haa!

I exit the app after I reboot because it drains batt life. No need to keep it running in the background IMO.

08-12-09 09:51 PM
    I'm using google voice and there's no apparent problem with battery life. Maybe its your bbm 5.0? I know that some users were reporting problems with using it, some regarding battery life

No, it's not BBM 5.0. Been on it all day and have great battery life.

When you say your "using" google voice, is it constantly connected like mine was or do you simply have the app installed but isn't constantly running in the background?
    08-12-09 10:01 PM
    Google voice works great for me. Free calling to Canada. Yee haa!

I exit the app after I reboot because it drains batt life. No need to keep it running in the background IMO.

Don't get me wrong the app is great, I just agree with you that you can't have it running in the background constantly.
    I've learned my lesson
    08-12-09 10:03 PM
    I have both and neither seem to suck battery life. Honestly, I haven't been able to find anything that helps with the Tour's battery life. It just seems to suck energy.
    08-12-09 10:08 PM
    I have both and neither seem to suck battery life. Honestly, I haven't been able to find anything that helps with the Tour's battery life. It just seems to suck energy.
    Have you tried turning them off like I have?
    08-12-09 10:10 PM
    I have it running on the background all day with no battery issues.
    08-12-09 11:54 PM
    No, it's not BBM 5.0. Been on it all day and have great battery life.

When you say your "using" google voice, is it constantly connected like mine was or do you simply have the app installed but isn't constantly running in the background?
    yes its constantly connected and running in the background. im using google voice for the free sms option since i dont have unlimited texts

a little off topic, but is google voice sms down right now? even when i try to send a text through google.com/voice it comes back right away saying there was an error sending the message
    08-13-09 12:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD