08-10-09 02:57 PM
37 12
tools
    This is my first BB so I figured I'd download a million and one apps and love them all. After playing with a good number of them, I realized all they're really good for is sucking away memory with the exception of a Pandora type radio and maps. You can get weather online, you can get news online, you can get scores online - and usually more updated versions of it.

So now I've pretty much removed all but one or two apps. Anyone else not really big on the available apps?
    08-06-09 07:57 PM
    Viigo ftw. All that stuff in one app!
    08-06-09 08:03 PM
    Never been a huge app guy myself. Just have FB, AIM, BBWeather, Pandora, and a Chicago Cubs shortcut. Pretty plain.
    08-06-09 08:08 PM
    What I like about the apps I use.. is that the data is 'pushed' to my device...
    i.e. I don't have to go check the weather, rather the forecast is pushed to weatherbug...
    08-06-09 08:09 PM
    Poynt, Facebook and Crackberry launcher (not really an app) is all I use. I don't need or use a lot of apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 08:13 PM
    I like my apps - that is what the extra memory is _for_

08-06-09 08:15 PM
    Weatherbug elite, QuickLaunch, Pandora, Google Voice, GMaps, poynt, telenav, and the lil ones

08-06-09 08:28 PM
    I try a new app every now and then, but I use these every day:

Viigo
    LiveSearch
    Pandora
    BBlight
    Bloomberg Mobile
    CaptureIt
    Facebook
    Ubertwitter
    Verizon Visual VoiceMail
    Enterprise Messenger
    08-06-09 09:04 PM
    im not much of an app user either. i do use a couple though...

facebook, poynt, weather eye, mileage manager, and visual voicemail. i dont use poynt much at all though. was even thinking of uninstalling it.
    08-06-09 09:17 PM
    However if you use a lot of apps QuickLaunch quickly becomes your best friend.
    08-06-09 09:19 PM
    Stop this crazy talk.. Apps are useful, fun, cheap, improve functionality and productivity.

Apps I use:
    1 autostandby
    2 bbscanner
    3 bbsmart alarms pro
    4 bbweather
    5 bb battstat
    6 berrybuzz
    7 beyond411
    8 bluffmycall
    9 captureit
    10 cblauncher
    11 chronograph
    12 empower mail viewer
    13 facebook
    14 forward, reply, edit
    15 fullversion memoryviewer
    16 pageonce
    17 pandora
    18 poynt
    19 protranslate
    20 quickpull
    21 samegame
    22 shortcuts
    23 soduko
    24 viigo
    25 vymail

Plus 2 themes and my memory right now is doing fine I usually run about 80% available.

AND I'm on a curve with even less onboard memory then your Tour - what are you talking about?

08-06-09 09:23 PM
    If you were expecting apps like the iphone you should have gotten an Iphone. Blackberry apps are dull as dishwater. One day RIM will put money into the software on phones and not into releasing new devices every 6 months.

08-06-09 09:23 PM
    There are a few I use. Uber Twitter which I use to subscribe to a lot of the tech blogs I follow, Weatherbug, Quickpull and TFLNBerry so I can add some humor to my day. I have Pandora and Slacker but never use them, I have 3.5 gigs of music on my card for when I am not driving and carry my almost full 80 Gig iPod in the Jeep for music on the go.
    08-06-09 09:32 PM
    Opera mini
    Weather eye
    Poynt
    Google maps

All I need.
    08-06-09 09:41 PM
    Funny thing about apps - there have been a few articles about the iPhone and the apps. They say that 90% of downloaded apps get used a few times, then are either deleted or sit dormant. Apps are fun to try, but there just aren't that many that show their usefulness over a long period of time.
    08-06-09 09:44 PM
    This is my first BB so I figured I'd download a million and one apps and love them all. After playing with a good number of them, I realized all they're really good for is sucking away memory with the exception of a Pandora type radio and maps. You can get weather online, you can get news online, you can get scores online - and usually more updated versions of it.

So now I've pretty much removed all but one or two apps. Anyone else not really big on the available apps?
    Ha ha i came from an Iphone where there were a whole bunch of awsome useful free apps, and when i switched to BB i realized that was one huge category that you would be losing. I agree with you 110% that the apps kinda suck. But what can i say I just love you BB!!!
    08-06-09 09:55 PM
    I have:

Facebook
    QuickPull Pro (but it's not working because I exchanged my Tour)
    AutoStandby
    The MissingSync (technically not an app because you need the program on the computer) Very necessary for me because my computer is a Mac.
    Downloaded Opera Mini, but deleted it.

I don't need Visual Voice Main because my voicemails are transcribed by a computer and e-mailed to me.

I'll take a look at Quicklaunch one of these days.
    08-06-09 10:04 PM
    I don't have any apps rather then slacker, google maps, and a few games. Like the OP said, I have no use for them cus I get any info I need from the web browser.

08-06-09 10:45 PM
    Quick Sms
    Isms
    Beyond 160
    Ubertwitter

Just a few apps I find really useful that I didn't see mentioned above.

08-06-09 11:03 PM
    I've tried a bunch of different apps, but these are the ones i'm sticking with:

Gmail
    Youmail
    Vlingo
    Poynt
    CB Launcher
    TFLN
    QuickPull
    Facebook

I'm still looking for a nice lite RSS reader.
    08-06-09 11:19 PM
    The Tour is my first BB as well..I'm only 3 days in but I use a handful of apps (uber twitter, facebook, aim, and Opera Mini).

I researched and each were highly recommended and I have to co-sign they do make life convenient for their intended purpose. I doubt I'll ever go overboard on the apps but if any specific one has a huge following w/ great reviews it's worth giving it a 1day trial in my book.
    08-07-09 12:36 AM
    Had my bb less than a month but so far I love Pandora, Viigo, quick pull, facebook and my space. Sprint tv and nfl app are cool concepts but they break up a lot on my curve. Does anyone know why? I'm running os 4.5. Also I just got poynt but I feel like its just as easy to use viigo to search the net for everything poynt has to offer. Also does anyone know where to find team specific sports shortcut apps. Like a stl cardinals app or a new york jets app.
    08-09-09 05:19 PM
    I USE my apps -- Weatherbug keeps me up to date about weather wherever my kids are (I'll have to key in Iraq next month) I made a folder for some great news sites - Time. Newsweek, AP, CNN etc.. I use tip calculator a lot..it even has a handy bill-splitting feature if you're out with others. Google maps is far better than the BlackBerry version. I haven't used "Quickpull" yet, but the next time I'm supposed to open up the phone and fiddle with the battery I will. Try them out!
    08-10-09 11:19 AM
    I agree that you can check out a lot of things via the web browser, but good apps should be ones that either get updates pushed to your device, or allow for one-click retrieval.

I currently use: FB, Pandora, GoogleSync, Google Maps, WeatherBug, Poynt, AIM, Amazon, and a few games. There is plenty of memory available on the Tour, so give some apps a chance! You may end up getting spoiled by them
    08-10-09 11:44 AM
    i wasn't a big app user, until i got the tour now i use

vlingo
    quickpull
    berrybuzz
    smartalerts
    youmail
    buzzoff

i can do without smartalerts, but it was a package deal in the crackberry store. and buzzoff is truly used and needed as is youmail.
    08-10-09 11:59 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD