Hi guys. I just got a bold and have been comparing it for a couple days against my iPhone 3G. As such, I have no BIS. Once I decide which device to go with for good I'll make a change in data plan if necessary.

For now I've been using Logic Mail with the bold for my emails, but I don't like how it isn't push based or doesn't autocheck. I came across this app called Funambol that will push my IMAP and POP email. Google it, my post count is apparently too low to post links . Has anybody tried it?
    09-29-09 08:56 PM
    i never could get the push to work however.. i would recommend a data plan if you want push email with would include BIS.. and if you want contact back up i would recommend skydeck.com this is alot smaller in size than the funambol application.. Funambol is around 300kb where skydeck is 70kb
    09-29-09 09:41 PM
    I use Funambol for Outlook 2007 -> berry OTA push updates. The Outlook client is dodgy, but it's better than the ridiculous desktop sync process inside Desktop manager. So, I await the day when the Outlook Funambol client works flawlessly, but until then I put up with the quirks and the OTA sync is groovy. The berry client is flawless.
    09-30-09 04:25 AM
    i never could get the push to work however.. i would recommend a data plan if you want push email with would include BIS.. and if you want contact back up i would recommend skydeck.com this is alot smaller in size than the funambol application.. Funambol is around 300kb where skydeck is 70kb
    Thanks for mentioning skydeck -- I hadn't seen that yet. I've looked at Funambol about 3 or 4 times a year to see if it was "mature" yet, and I keep coming back with the impression that is works sometimes, but it not 100% reliable yet -- except for commercial services that are built around it. I don't want to pay an extra fee every month for this kind of service, so I've avoided the commercial sync services to date.

Google Voice is promising, but I hate the idea of having to give out a new phone number after having used my home number for 20 years, and my mobile number for about 8 years -- and having given them out to hundreds of family, friends and business associates. When Google Voice can take advantage of number portability, I'd consider moving my home number there, and creating a second account based on my mobile number.

Skydeck looks promising. They mention the idea of using a mashup of Google Voice and Skydeck's free offering. This looks intriguing, since I can leave my mobile number unchanged. I'll have to look into this more closely.

I couldn't find anything on the site re: pricing for the paid version. Do you know what their rates are, and what differences there are in features free vs paid?
    09-30-09 09:53 AM
    Thanks for mentioning skydeck -- I hadn't seen that yet. I've looked at Funambol about 3 or 4 times a year to see if it was "mature" yet, and I keep coming back with the impression that is works sometimes, but it not 100% reliable yet -- except for commercial services that are built around it. I don't want to pay an extra fee every month for this kind of service, so I've avoided the commercial sync services to date.

Google Voice is promising, but I hate the idea of having to give out a new phone number after having used my home number for 20 years, and my mobile number for about 8 years -- and having given them out to hundreds of family, friends and business associates. When Google Voice can take advantage of number portability, I'd consider moving my home number there, and creating a second account based on my mobile number.

Skydeck looks promising. They mention the idea of using a mashup of Google Voice and Skydeck's free offering. This looks intriguing, since I can leave my mobile number unchanged. I'll have to look into this more closely.

I couldn't find anything on the site re: pricing for the paid version. Do you know what their rates are, and what differences there are in features free vs paid?
    Skydeck from what i can find is free i know before they did charge but they no longer offer voicemail service (what it is when someone calls your google # instead of that voicemail being emailed to you its emailed to a skydeck and will show up under your voice mail) i really like the contact sync which is my only reason for using it. It doesnt have a set sync time its realtime sync once you make a correction or add on your phone its online within 10minutes. But if you make a correction on their website or add/delete it can take upto 2 hours to be on your phone.

if you email their customer service via this link

skydeck . com / about / contact

they are pretty quick at answering any questions.
    10-01-09 08:53 AM
    Skydeck from what i can find is free i know before they did charge but they no longer offer voicemail service (what it is when someone calls your google # instead of that voicemail being emailed to you its emailed to a skydeck and will show up under your voice mail) i really like the contact sync which is my only reason for using it. It doesnt have a set sync time its realtime sync once you make a correction or add on your phone its online within 10minutes. But if you make a correction on their website or add/delete it can take upto 2 hours to be on your phone.

if you email their customer service via this link

skydeck . com / about / contact

they are pretty quick at answering any questions.
    Thanks -- I'll take a closer look at them.
    10-01-09 08:58 AM
    Hey guys,

I'm a college student who completely relies on outlook to organize my life. I use the calender to know when I have class, appointments, group meetings, club meetings and organization meetings.

I use the email for my 3 email accounts (2 personal and 1 school email)

I use the contacts for my contacts

and I use tasks for my homework assignments.

however, I do not have BES so my issue has always been my phone would have different information in it than outlook would.

Once I found funambol my life became completely organized! Funambol is essentially a free BES. It will sync outlook to Funambol's portal, and than you can sync your blackberry with the portal.

I have never been so on top of my life having my blackberry completely synced with outlook at all times.

this application is a god send to students and adults with no BES
    11-03-09 11:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD