I am amazed that a fundamental feature is missing on my new 9930 - i would never imagine that of all things, there would be NO touchscreen phone dialing KEYPAD!

I looked around and haven't turned up any sort of app that i can use - Well, i did find
    an old post here where a guy was nice enough to post one he designed himself - but sadly i am on all Mac computers and apparently his app is zipped in a Windows format and would - i guess - need to use a PC version of BB Desktop to install to my Bold....OTOH
    if anyone has an idea of how i could get around that, or know of any apps that emulate a phone dialpad on-screen, please kindly let me know...greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Mike in Mich
    06-05-12 06:13 PM
    you can run windows in a virtual machine, and why would we need to dial on our touchscreen when the keypad is right there, seems like a waste of time to me.
    Hgouck likes this.
    06-05-12 06:22 PM
    >why would we need to dial on our touchscreen when the keypad is right there<

I guess since there's a touchscreen, why not? Just about any other slider Android - even cheap hybrid candy bar models like a Samsung Intrepid has both QWERTY and touch dialpad... It's convenient to have the option. While i'm at it, i don't get why no Alt key on the right side of the physical keyboard too - for a key that has to be used so often but part of that annoyance is that things are generally designed for right handers,
    not us lefties.
    06-05-12 06:38 PM
    I agree with the OP actually.

I think the number keys are small, and I miss-dial sometimes.
    Would be nice to have a big dialpad up on the screen when making a call.

I don't think it's fundamental, but it would be a nice app.
    06-05-12 06:49 PM
    interesting idea ... Would be nice to have an On screen Dial Pad for real
    06-05-12 06:53 PM
    you can run windows in a virtual machine, and why would we need to dial on our touchscreen when the keypad is right there, seems like a waste of time to me.
    When you get a big older those numbers begin to look mighty small...a larger touchscreen dialpad would be great.
    06-05-12 06:58 PM
    Excuse my curiosity, but why would you want the keypad on the touchscreen when the buttons are right there?

I am amazed that a fundamental feature is missing on my new 9930 - i would never imagine that of all things, there would be NO touchscreen phone dialing KEYPAD!

I looked around and haven't turned up any sort of app that i can use - Well, i did find
    an old post here where a guy was nice enough to post one he designed himself - but sadly i am on all Mac computers and apparently his app is zipped in a Windows format and would - i guess - need to use a PC version of BB Desktop to install to my Bold....OTOH
    if anyone has an idea of how i could get around that, or know of any apps that emulate a phone dialpad on-screen, please kindly let me know...greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Mike in Mich
    06-05-12 08:08 PM
    I thought someone posted a link to one they created a while ago but I may be mis-remembering as this topic has been discussed before.

Found the thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7327259
    Last edited by F2; 06-05-12 at 08:24 PM.
    06-05-12 08:10 PM
    It would be cool, I guess.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-05-12 09:05 PM
    I agree a touch screen dial pad would be nice, but what amazes me is the OP didn't do RESEARCH on the BOLD 99XX and did not know this function wasn't available before purchasing. The Bold 99xx has been available for quite some time now and the pro's and con's well documented.
    06-05-12 09:25 PM

Thanks,

Mike in Mich
    Bootcamp/ Parallels or VM Ware will run Windows perfectly on your Mac. I use an MBP and an MBA with VM Ware running Windows 7 for a few things. Works like a charm and when you want to install a BBOS update (leaked version) you need Windows. Can't be done on OS X.
    06-05-12 09:47 PM
    I agree a touch screen dial pad would be nice, but what amazes me is the OP didn't do RESEARCH on the BOLD 99XX and did not know this function wasn't available before purchasing. The Bold 99xx has been available for quite some time now and the pro's and con's well documented.
    OP here..I'm not sure that this rises to the level of "amazing" - the idea that i would expect a touchscreen phone to come with a touchscreen dialer.

What i do think is amazing that Blackberry would exclude that, yet think to include a touchscreen calculator.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that, but that's standard while a dialer for the freakin PHONE doesn't.

I mean, jesus, really? It's that f-ing surprising that i wouldn't just expect that feature to be on a touchscreen like every other touchscreen phone in existence.

Another RIM mark of genius that has put them so far ahead in the smartphone marketplace today. BTW 9930 drops calls and signal alot too. Sprint store guy says it's probably more to do with SPrint updating to LTE and not the 9930 - even tho the antenna is on the bottom of the phone where you hold the thing.

Nothing dumb about that either i'm guessing the consensus would be here...
    Last edited by mikemich; 06-10-12 at 04:15 PM.
    06-10-12 04:12 PM
    Judging by the apps available to provide that functionality and the number of requests for it, it seems that the interest in this is pretty low and might be why RIM didn't waste time with it.

The numbers are the same size as the letters. Why no on-screen keyboard?
    06-10-12 04:22 PM
    Or you can use the Voice Dial feature. It works.
    06-10-12 04:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD