My girlfriend recently switched to an iphone, and now since we can't bbm 24/7, she says were having communication issues . Anyways, aside that she may be a bit clingy, what apps could we use that would do the same job as BBM, but for blackberry to iphone? Something that you can look at to see if the messaging was delivered, read and if the other person is typing?

Any replies would be a lifesaver.
    03-02-11 07:48 PM
    Whatsapp is IMO the best out there... but it doesn't label it as read just delivered.
    Kik Messenger use to to this but now is no longer available due to lawsuits pending
    03-02-11 07:54 PM
    Whatsapp is IMO the best out there... but it doesn't label it as read just delivered.
    Kik Messenger use to to this but now is no longer available due to lawsuits pending

I agree, I just downloaded Whatsapp today. Very easy to set up and start using immediately.
    03-02-11 08:08 PM
    With my brother-in-law an Apple man, my son on Android and us on BB, we have tried almost all of them. If you are expecting performance on par with BBM, you will be disappointed. We found serious lag in all of them (WhatsApp, PingChat, Pinch).
    03-02-11 09:57 PM
    03-02-11 10:04 PM
    I used gtalk with one of my friends with an android, it works, nothing to write home about though
    03-02-11 10:07 PM
    Yahoo is good. Doesn't have the D/R notification, but allows file transfers. Well it does Android to iPhone, and Android to BB at least, I don't see why it wouldn't do iPhone to BB.
    03-03-11 12:21 AM
    Apps that work sort-of similar to BBM (with confirmations):

- WhatsApp ($1.99/year*).
    - PingChat (Ad supported)
    - Kik (Kicked off of BB).
    - LiveProfile (supposed to be on BB this week).

Apps without confirmations:
    - Google Talk
    - AIM
    - Yahoo Messenger
    - MSN/WLM
    I wish Kik was still around on BB. That one seems to be the most reliable on other platforms. WhatsApp seems good also, but it isn't free. I know on other platforms, it costs $1.99 per year (*first year free). It's not a huge price, but if you are looking for a free option...

PingChat is also cross-platform. The only thing is that it is ad supported. If you don't mind the ads, it is an option.

The one I'm starting to like is LiveProfile. It is still in the early stages, so it has had a few hiccups now and then. But, it is quick, has confirmations, and supports sending files/images. The BlackBerry version is supposed to be released this week.

If confirmations aren't important, then all of the IM apps out there are still viable options. I don't have an iPhone, so I'm not sure which apps will work without having to be running all the time. As long as the app supports push, it should be a good way to communicate.
    03-03-11 09:25 AM
    im just curious why so many people recommend g-talk as an alternative to BBM on other platforms? not being smart, just curious? I no not a single person that uses g-talk but the entire planet uses yahoo & is there some benefit with g-talk that I am overlooking? I only ask because I see that recomendatoin so much for people swithching to android. I must be missing something
    03-03-11 10:04 PM
    I've experienced the opposite. I have one friend who uses yahoo chat and tons who use gtalk.
    What's wrong with good old fashioned SMS? Don't most data plans have unlimited sms?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-11 12:31 AM
    Wow, I don't know anyone who uses gtalk & I hate the pc version of it. As far as sms a lot of us have friends abroad. So sms isn't an option for that so I use yahoo, actually I use just about everything with Trillion but I find that most people in the countries I visit use Yahoo or AIM

03-04-11 08:01 AM
    I think googletalk is a pretty solid way to go, but i think kik messenger works decently well for the time that i trialed it
    03-04-11 08:34 AM
    I've experienced the opposite. I have one friend who uses yahoo chat and tons who use gtalk.
    What's wrong with good old fashioned SMS? Don't most data plans have unlimited sms?

Not I. At this point, I pretty much refuse to pay for SMS service. That **** should be free with every voice plan. Most of my iPhone and Android friends have unlimited texting, but not us BlackBerry folks. We still get shafted.

My wife and son both have BBs. We each have 200 SMS/month, because that is the minimum we can get on a package, and that's only for texting non-BB folks. In fact, I recently blocked SMS on my son's BB because he went over his limit 3 months in a row. Texting with an iPhone user! *smfh* There's WAY too many other better and free options out there.

I don't anybody I know uses Yahoo anymore, so I gave my BeeJive license to my son. I only have 1 person on Gtalk that I used to chat with, but he's one of the people I reserve my SMS pool for. The balance of occasional texting friends contact me on Twitter or Facebook, which I use SocialScope for.

A friend of ours with whom we chatted on BBM constantly recently switched from BB to Android, so I immediately got us all on What'sApp. I've gotten a bunch of other Android/iPhone friends to install it, as well. It works very well, looks and works a lot like BBM, including file, pic, and location sharing, and group chat support.
    03-04-11 08:49 AM
    03-04-11 09:17 AM
    I have a blackberry and my husband has an android phone , we used g talk to stay connected and never have any problems...
    03-05-11 01:41 AM
    I've been using live profile on my iphone for a couple weeks. It's been great!!!

Blackberry version is supposed to be out any minute.... Somebody on teh facebook page says 5am.... But who knows.

I personally can't wait so that I can reconnect with my BB friends.
    03-05-11 02:18 AM
  17. And
    Entire planet? Not really. In Europe yahoo messenger is not used much. MSN is the way to go here. And everybody who has a Android phone probably uses Gtalk

im just curious why so many people recommend g-talk as an alternative to BBM on other platforms? not being smart, just curious? I no not a single person that uses g-talk but the entire planet uses yahoo & is there some benefit with g-talk that I am overlooking? I only ask because I see that recomendatoin so much for people swithching to android. I must be missing something
    03-05-11 05:22 AM
    I have been pleasantly surprised by Whatsapp on my Bold. Contrary to an above post, whatsapp does show delivered and read- one checkmark = delivered; 2 checkmarks = read. Gtalk is very unreliable on bb; signs me out all the time and very often doesn't alert me or show new messages. My daughter switched to iphone, and Whatsapp has been a vwry solid substitute for bbm.

03-05-11 08:39 PM
    I use YM to ATTEMPT to message someone on a Blackberry. Half the time he NEVER gets the text...
    11-21-13 01:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD