i was wondering if any app designers were considering creating an app using the accelerometer as a tool to measure a golf swing. seems like compared to some games it would be pretty easy to create a swing speed and path analysis that could show a ball flight (launch angle, accuracy, length and spin). then perhaps with some kind of special handle grip and holding case insert your bb storm like on a wii remote it would be like swinging a golf club. of course to improve on that you could make a virtual golf game by selecting your clubs and aiming and then looking at the course on your screen before the swing dont know if anyone is working on it, but lots of people probably consider paying decent money for it.
    02-04-09 09:24 PM
    Its only a 2 axis accelerometer in the thing... You're not going to be able to get a lot of that with a 2 axis unit. You need a 3 axis accelerometer in order to have enough information for this. Not to mention it would have to be a much faster and more expensive unit.

Not to mention that too many people would be throwing their phones against the wall.
    02-04-09 09:26 PM
    I can see it now..."man throws storm out the window testing swing speed with blackberry" or it'll be the next wiimote into the tv experience.

on another note...would be sweet.
    02-04-09 09:27 PM
    Step one rubber band your storm to the head of your driver...
    Step two choke up a bit to make sure you don't accidentally "take a divot"
    Step three....
    02-04-09 10:04 PM
    the posts in this thread made me laugh sooooo hard!!! funny stuff guys.
    02-04-09 10:12 PM
    Its only a 2 axis accelerometer in the thing... You're not going to be able to get a lot of that with a 2 axis unit. You need a 3 axis accelerometer in order to have enough information for this. Not to mention it would have to be a much faster and more expensive unit.

Not to mention that too many people would be throwing their phones against the wall.
    You can get the xyz coordinates from the accelerometer. This app is totally possible, it would just require a lot of math functions.
    02-04-09 10:18 PM
    ... This app is totally possible, it would just require a lot of math functions.
    And duct tape.
    02-05-09 11:24 AM
    You can get the xyz coordinates from the accelerometer. This app is totally possible, it would just require a lot of math functions.
    I highly doubt there is a 3 axis accelerometer in the unit. Do you have proof somewhere (read: a credible reference) that they are using a 3axis module? Next piece of information would be the resolution and sample rate that the part is capable of.

I should also state that the accelerometer won't give you X,Y,Z cords. It gives you positional information by telling you the magnitude of gravity in three fixed known directions (if its a 3axis unit). I'm betting that the unit in the Storm only tells you gravity in 2 dimensions. Which is how it determines orientation. Which ever dimension has a larger gravity vector the phone can assume to be pointing down (toward the earth). This is why the phone has a hard time when its tilted at an angle as a large portion of your vector is biased into the Z vector. The software is probably written in such a way that when that happens it doesn't meet the thresholds required to rotate in their algorithm. If they had a 3axis unit they could make that much more responsive even while tilted in the Z direction.

Honestly the math part isn't really that hard. Its just applied sophomore level calculus. But you would still want the storm at the end of the club so that it could get the maximum swing distance and therefore better accuracy and less loss due to resolution.
    Last edited by bthoward; 02-05-09 at 11:58 AM.
    02-05-09 11:53 AM
    I highly doubt there is a 3 axis accelerometer in the unit. Do you have proof somewhere (read: a credible reference) that they are using a 3axis module? Next piece of information would be the resolution and sample rate that the part is capable of.

I should also state that the accelerometer won't give you X,Y,Z cords. It gives you positional information by telling you the magnitude of gravity in three fixed known directions (if its a 3axis unit). I'm betting that the unit in the Storm only tells you gravity in 2 dimensions. Which is how it determines orientation. Which ever dimension has a larger gravity vector the phone can assume to be pointing down (toward the earth). This is why the phone has a hard time when its tilted at an angle as a large portion of your vector is biased into the Z vector. The software is probably written in such a way that when that happens it doesn't meet the thresholds required to rotate in their algorithm. If they had a 3axis unit they could make that much more responsive even while tilted in the Z direction.

Honestly the math part isn't really that hard. Its just applied sophomore level calculus. But you would still want the storm at the end of the club so that it could get the maximum swing distance and therefore better accuracy and less loss due to resolution.

BlackBerry JDE 4.7 is now live! | BlackBerry Cool

It has 3 axis capabilities.
    02-05-09 12:10 PM

Haha, sorry. It's 3-axis.

BlackBerry JDE 4.7.0 API Reference: Class AccelerometerSensor
    02-05-09 01:27 PM

Sure here is their Accelerometer Sensor data

BlackBerry JDE 4.7.0 API Reference: Class AccelerometerSensor

As for the math, you're correct it wouldn't be spot on. Plus your swing may be altered due to the fact the storm is a lot wider then a club etc. All in all though it would give you a general idea.
    02-05-09 01:31 PM
    You sir got served!

I also can confirm that the Storm has a 3 Axis accelerometer, as I am developing a game for it, and have used all 3 axis (plural?).
    02-05-09 01:54 PM
    well all the feedback is awesome as i dont really know much about writing apps. if you were to try some of the sample apps floating out there they do show that it can sense movement on 3 axis. the video of the ball flight and pictures of the course could add to the experience wondering if that is possible as well. game wouldnt have to be perfect, but even a scaled down version of this would be fairly cool way to kill time on long phone meetings in the office or whenever you have time to burn.
    02-05-09 04:17 PM
    in all honesty the more i look at it the app would be an exhaustive and complex project to conquer. if it was running smooth though could be worth the effort.
    02-05-09 04:20 PM
    You sir got served!

I also can confirm that the Storm has a 3 Axis accelerometer, as I am developing a game for it, and have used all 3 axis (plural?).
    Now the next question is a 2G maximum going to be enough... I doubt it. But maybe.
    02-05-09 05:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD