02-20-13 06:38 PM
27 12
tools
    The only concern I've ever heard expressed about Google Maps was the possibility that Google might be storing your location information. The aggregate of many users' locations is used to provide the traffic speed info displayed in Google Traffic. I haven't heard any concerns re Bing Maps. I don't consider aggregating location info to be malware behavior, especially since Google doesn't hide that they do it.
    02-18-13 01:36 PM
    _________

I'd like to find out about this too. How good or reliable is the pre-loaded Bing Map?
    The only concern I've ever heard expressed about Google Maps was the possibility that Google might be storing your location information. The aggregate of many users' locations is used to provide the traffic speed info displayed in Google Traffic. I haven't heard any concerns re Bing Maps. I don't consider aggregating location info to be malware behavior, especially since Google doesn't hide that they do it.
    Thanks for all the info Jeffh! Great as always. I've used Google Maps for a long time and have never noticed anything that would worry me, in fact, I think that the permissions they request seem reasonable when you consider what they are use for as you pointed out. I have denied the personal permission with them and it still seems to work fine--never an issue that I can see. I don't use it much as I am in my car which has nav, but when in a rental or walking around, it's nice to have--as is BB Maps/traffic. One app that concerns me that I'm starting to use more of, is EverNote. It requires a lot of info to work. I've tried not allowing some it and it disables it but with one of the permissions checked, it seems to work ok. Can't remember Which. I had to check all the permissions for Adv_OS and LED to have it work correctly but I'm not really worried about that app either and the customer support seems to be the best and very honest. But who really knows out there! Anyway, thanks for the info. Much appreciated!
    02-20-13 06:38 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD