is anti-virus software needed on Blackberry? if so, please post a link for download. Thanks.
    03-11-08 01:34 PM
    You don't need anti-virus software for a BB. Don't worry about it.
    03-11-08 01:41 PM
    No Anti-V programs I know of for BlackBerry. I don't think our OS is virusable...
    03-11-08 02:37 PM
    probably in the future
    03-16-08 05:47 AM
    You don't need anti-virus software for a BB. Don't worry about it.

This would be true if you don't use your online access at all.

It would be nice if someone comes out with an AV...
    01-29-10 06:52 AM

This is true because of the architecture of the OS. Anything that runs on the device needs permissions defined for the activities that application is allowed to do. You have to confirm everything before it is allowed to operate. So in effect, you are operating as the anti virus protection
    01-30-10 11:14 AM
    Well how about virus removal? I have a feeling I've accepted something bad on my handset, every time I pick up my handset and unlock it it lags for the first 5 to 10 seconds... Sounds like a virus or adware to me...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-10 11:43 PM
    Josh

I think your headset is safe. Your issues could be tried back to your phone. Perhaps its a cache issue. Try pulling the battery waiting 30 seconds then pulling it back in

Good luck

05-13-10 09:23 PM
    So can we or can we not catch viruses, trojans, spyware and so forth? If so, has any reputable developer released a scan/removal tool?
    05-30-10 07:52 AM
    There are no confirmed BlackBerry viruses. A BlackBerry can be a virus host and pass a PC-virus infected file to a connected PC, but there are no viruses that affect the BlackBerry itself. Trojans and spyware are another matter. If you don't use a password and allow people to install apps on your device without your knowledge, then someone could put malware on your device. The key, though, is that you have to let them do it, and it requires access to your device. I don't know any scan / removal tools, because I don't know of any specific malware threats. You can always wipe and reload your device. If you leave your device lying around unattended, you are at far greater risk of getting it stolen than infected by malware.
    05-30-10 08:06 AM
    Nobody's put anything on here other than me. I guess my concern would be some kind of spyware hidden inside a seemingly innocent 3rd-party app. In particular because I have a "novelty" app from right here in the crackberry store, and the dev has a link to his website to check for updated versions and additional apps. When I visit the page from a PC, my anti-virus warns me that there's a trojan on the page and breaks the connection. The page never loads and so my computer is safe.

EDIT: When I went looking for the link to the app, I stumbled across this. Never heard of it before, not trying to be a guinea pig either. But given our discussion topic, I thought the discovery interesting.
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 06-01-10 at 08:09 PM.
    06-01-10 08:04 PM
    Nobody's put anything on here other than me. I guess my concern would be some kind of spyware hidden inside a seemingly innocent 3rd-party app. In particular because I have a "novelty" app from right here in the crackberry store, and the dev has a link to his website to check for updated versions and additional apps. When I visit the page from a PC, my anti-virus warns me that there's a trojan on the page and breaks the connection. The page never loads and so my computer is safe.

EDIT: When I went looking for the link to the app, I stumbled across this. Never heard of it before, not trying to be a guinea pig either. But given our discussion topic, I thought the discovery interesting.
    As a previous posted noted the best protection is yourself. You have to approve elevated permissions for an application. Look at what it is asking for, if you see something suspicion then dont approve it.

Kisses is fine, its a good piece of software, it will show you processes running on your BB.

As for a real scanner there isnt anything that really can be done, 3rd party apps can't scan other apps for something like a virus "signature" or see what another application is doing. Its not like a PC in that way.
    06-01-10 08:32 PM
    www.mylookout.com <<Check it out....its also available @...blackberry App World...N...its FREE...
    06-01-10 08:57 PM
    Yes it is possible to get a virus in a Blackberry World.

It arrived Monday 3/14. Verizon wiped the phone clean back to an original phone.

Started it up and within an hour my Blackberry Contact list was hit again. All my computers, MSN, AOK, and GMAIL are working fine.

Verizon has no way to put in anti-viral software.

There is no anti-viral software out there for our Blackberrys.

You may blame me, but the virus came in on a regular communication from a business client...

WE need help with getting anti-viral software for Blackberry...
    03-18-11 01:12 PM
    What exactly happened? What do you mean, your Contact list was hit? It's highly unlikely you got a BlackBerry virus, unless you are the unlucky Patient Zero.
    03-18-11 01:56 PM
    Kaspersky has one called 'Kaspersky Mobile Security 9' but, I was not able to launch the free trial when they sent me the link...I would like to try it out.
    04-08-11 01:41 PM
    What exactly happened? What do you mean, your Contact list was hit? It's highly unlikely you got a BlackBerry virus, unless you are the unlucky Patient Zero.
    +1, not buying this one either!
    04-08-11 01:44 PM
    Moved to BB Apps
    04-08-11 02:23 PM

It arrived Monday 3/14. Verizon wiped the phone clean back to an original phone.

Started it up and within an hour my Blackberry Contact list was hit again. All my computers, MSN, AOK, and GMAIL are working fine.

You may blame me, but the virus came in on a regular communication from a business client...

Did you install any apps from JaredCo? They like to spam users. http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/jar...ng-app-552418/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f19/why...r-apps-569582/
    04-08-11 02:27 PM
    Multi-quote FTW!
    is anti-virus software needed on Blackberry? if so, please post a link for download. Thanks.
    Nope, as many have said there's no need for anti-virus software at the moment. And until viruses are identified, no anti-virus will do any good.
    No Anti-V programs I know of for BlackBerry. I don't think our OS is virusable...
    There's a couple, but they're pretty much placebos imo. BB IS virusable (everything is really) but there's not any viruses yet.
    probably in the future
    Possibly. It'll be hard tho, what with RIM requiring signing keys and BB permissions.
    It IS true, for now.
    As I said, any AV will be useless until the AV creators have viruses to watch for/remove.
    This is true because of the architecture of the OS. Anything that runs on the device needs permissions defined for the activities that application is allowed to do. You have to confirm everything before it is allowed to operate. So in effect, you are operating as the anti virus protection
    Always trust people who use linux. They know what they're talking about.
    Well how about virus removal? I have a feeling I've accepted something bad on my handset, every time I pick up my handset and unlock it it lags for the first 5 to 10 seconds... Sounds like a virus or adware to me...

Lag is normal from poorly developed and data intensive apps.
    Josh

I think your headset is safe. Your issues could be tried back to your phone. Perhaps its a cache issue. Try pulling the battery waiting 30 seconds then pulling it back in

Good luck

This is pretty much the solution for everything.
    So can we or can we not catch viruses, trojans, spyware and so forth? If so, has any reputable developer released a scan/removal tool?
    Again, there's no need for virus software because there are no known viruses to protect against.
    There are no confirmed BlackBerry viruses. A BlackBerry can be a virus host and pass a PC-virus infected file to a connected PC, but there are no viruses that affect the BlackBerry itself. Trojans and spyware are another matter. If you don't use a password and allow people to install apps on your device without your knowledge, then someone could put malware on your device. The key, though, is that you have to let them do it, and it requires access to your device. I don't know any scan / removal tools, because I don't know of any specific malware threats. You can always wipe and reload your device. If you leave your device lying around unattended, you are at far greater risk of getting it stolen than infected by malware.
    That's pretty much the best summary you can get.

I just checked the site in the TWSS app from my PC, it gave me no errors.
    Kisses is useful for other reasons. The virus part is a placebo to make people feel warm and fuzzy. Even if it was a legitimate virus software, it hasn't been updated in at least a year.
    www.mylookout.com <<Check it out....its also available @...blackberry App World...N...its FREE...
    Lookout is useful for other reasons. BB Protect is better than lookout tho.

+1, not buying this one either!
    Provide proof please.
    Moved to BB Apps
    Where was it? This is definitely the best place for it
    Not quite the same as a virus, but yeah, JaredCo is pretty lame about emailing you spam.

I think that's about it lol.
    04-08-11 04:15 PM
    Some 3rd party apps run a virus scan as a secondary function to the app. The two that I have are Kisses and Lookout Mobile Security which I use instead of BB protect. Can't tell you how effective they are as they have always shown my device as being clean. Both are excellent apps and perform their primary functions well. Give them a try as they are worth having for their primary purposes. Run the scans and let us know if they come up with anything.

04-09-11 02:21 PM
    There is currently no known application that cmay be classified as a virus for a BlackBerry. You have NOT go a virus. It is something else.

You cannot get a virus into your BlackBerry via email. The way that the BlackBerry opens attachments precludes this eventuality.

About a year ago a carrier, Etisalat, in the United Arab Emirates encouraged its customers to install an "update" on their BlackBerrys. It was spyware BBC NEWS | Technology | UAE Blackberry update was spyware

They got found out because the software ran the battery flat rather quickly.

Of course in most countries this is totally illegal. The fix is faily simple.

Go to your carrier and ask them to examine the phone and see if there really is spyware installed on the phone. If there is, then they should be able to remove the offending package and make a report fo the police.

This does not stop with spyware. There is at least one company who may be selling questionable software that is reputed to steal all your emails Why Is Jared Company Still Allowed to Offer Apps?. It is notable that Kevin intervened in this particular thread.

A BlackBerry is VERY secure. However just like your house, you may have the finest locks on the door but if you leave a window open when you leave, anyone may enter.

If you allow ANYONE else access to your phone then you have compromised its excellent security.

You BlackBerry is very secure provided you take some siple precautions.

1). you put a strong password on the phone.
    2). you do regular, encrypted Backups using Desktop Manager.
    3). you NEVER allow anyone else to even hold your phone.

Why point number 3?

Here is a copy of a post that I wrote about a week ago.

It is quite easy to spy on a BlackBerry BUT you need at least one access to the BlackBerry upon which you wish to spy to install the software.

Blackberry Spyware | Spy BlackBerry Phone | BlackBerry Spyware Apps Costs $100 and will do the job.

As has already been said, SIM card cloning is equally easy to do if you know the right people.

That said, the BlackBerry is a highly secure device and if you NEVER let anyone else handle your phone AND you keepit passworded, AND you do a wipe and a clean OS install, AND then only install known and trusted apps you should be safe from installed spyware.

If you suspect a cloned SIM card being used then you should contact you carrier.
    04-09-11 02:31 PM
    Someone I know just recommended Lookout. You're saying as an "antivirus" it's not necessary?
    04-11-11 01:04 PM
    Someone I know just recommended Lookout. You're saying as an "antivirus" it's not necessary?
    Yes, antivirus software is unnecessary for BlackBerry devices. There are no viruses to detect, and with none in existence to serve as examples, it is highly unlikely that any existing a/v software would be effective in detecting a virus created in the future, if one could even be created.
    Moon_Juice likes this.
    04-11-11 01:12 PM
    Multi-quote FTW!

Where was it? This is definitely the best place for it
    It was in the Newbie Forum believe it or not. I THINK it's from before a lot of the sub forums existed, and it just got bumped.
    04-11-11 02:11 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD