fgVOIP Releases Wi-Fi SIP VoIP Client For BlackBerry | BerryReview.com

Great... finally another SIP based VoIP app and again... NOT FREE! I'm all for people making money, but this is exactly why no one wants to build apps for BB anymore. First the developers have to spend way too much time actually making things work because RIM's tools suck. Second, RIM won't help them develop it because it infringes on their BB MVS income. When you have to deal with all that bs, why should you make it free?... it's not like RIM makes it so easy you can just slap one together and put it out there at no cost. Rediculous at how bad BB app development is.

Yet another reason why Android is liked more by some people. How many FREE SIP VoIP apps are on the Android Market again?... I ran out of fingers and toes the last time I tried to count.
    12-03-10 10:07 AM
    Will give the free version a trial....but I agree about the price......I'd rather use IM Talk and deal with the half-duplex calling than shell out $40 for a Blackberry app.
    12-03-10 02:50 PM
    I thought you usually saved your rants for the general discussion and rumors sections...
    12-03-10 02:53 PM
    I just downloaded and tried the app on my Bold 9650 running OS6...just running the app itself takes up A LOT of CPU power (according to the Engineering Screen's task manager) and slows down the phone considerably...haven't really tinkered around with it enough to do a test call since I'm at work.

Will try with my own SIP provider.
    12-03-10 03:22 PM
    I just trialed this program on my new BB9780. The good news, I was able to establish a VOIP connection to a landline phone via WiFi. The bad news, it wasn't long before the other side could not hear me anymore. Until then call quality was good. I was unable to keep the conversation up for longer then 1min on my side.

I must admit that the Bold 9780 is not yet supported, maybe this is why my calls don't last for long.

But finally there seems to be an option for true VOIP on the Blackberry in sight, although there is a heavy price tag.

By the way, I used a cheap VOIP provider, voipcheap.com.

Update: I just tried some calls again, it seems the audio from the other side returns after some time. It's just very choppy sometimes. Maybe it's the codec, the bitrate is maybe too high :s
    Last edited by Enrico2828; 12-04-10 at 11:17 AM.
    12-04-10 10:58 AM
    Doesn't seem to connect to my SIP provider on my Bold 9650, even though the SIP provider says it's connected, I still get the "fvoip not ready" thing.

It seems CDMA Blackberries get the short end of the stick when it comes to VOIP software.
    Last edited by Culex316; 12-04-10 at 01:19 PM.
    12-04-10 01:09 PM
    @JRSCCivic98: from a user's perspective I can see what you mean. Not a lot of apps to begin with and the VoIP stuff is not free.
    It is true, we get no help and have to test our app practically on every device and OS firmware combination separately. A lot of resources are tied up here which is reflected in the price. Unfortunately.

@Culex316: We don't support 9650 yet. Also the CDMA devices we have looked at so far did not support the G.711 codec (which we use/need). I'll check back with our engineering and post an update.

@Enrico2828: We are testing OS 6 devices right now. As mentioned above we have to actually test each device/OS/firmware combination separately. So we need a couple of days for this. Will also update this post.

The device/OS combos we currently support are (only GSM):
    OS 4.6 = 8520, 8900, 9000
    OS 5.0 = 8520, 9000, 9700
    12-06-10 03:22 AM
    @JR, you know for someone with the responsibility of being a Crackberry forum moderator, I personally take offense to your total negativity towards the main focus of this board. I find it really difficult to take anything you say as impartial and I wish I was able to ignore you. Yes we all know that RIM development products are deficient, but your entrusted to be professional and handle yourself with kid gloves, neither of which are being experienced in this thread alone.

And before you flap your yap saying I am a cry baby or too sensitive, I have been reading the majority of your posts as you definitely know your stuff. Just you need a better way at delivering it.
    12-06-10 05:26 AM
    You guys should try BlackVoib. It has been around much longer. Also only GSM models are supported. Check our forum and FAQ to see why CDMAs are not supported.

BlackVoib - A VoIP Softphone for BlackBerry
    12-10-10 04:27 PM
    @JRSCCivic98: from a user's perspective I can see what you mean. Not a lot of apps to begin with and the VoIP stuff is not free.
    It is true, we get no help and have to test our app practically on every device and OS firmware combination separately. A lot of resources are tied up here which is reflected in the price. Unfortunately.
    Then you should voice your concern with RIM directly and DEMAND better dev support. If more of you devs would do that, RIM would change their antiquated ways of doing things, but you guys need to learn to apply A LOT of pressure.
    12-10-10 04:31 PM
    Then you should voice your concern with RIM directly and DEMAND better dev support. If more of you devs would do that, RIM would change their antiquated ways of doing things, but you guys need to learn to apply A LOT of pressure.
    What kind of support do you expect RIM to provide? RIM already stated (at least to us) what is possible and what is not possible. I guess your rant is about the price of BlackBerry software. Hey, software development is not cheap.

You have not seen what Android VoIP is like. Yeah, there are some free SIP apps; but the hardware is so fragmented. Those apps work on some devices but not others. And since they are all open source, good luck trying to get that working on your Android if the app does not work out of the box. And beside, none of those Android SIP apps work on my new 10" Android Pad powered by an ARM processor.

Since you have been ranting. What is the fair price you are willing to pay for an BB app that could save you a few hundred bucks a year?
    Last edited by Aviator168; 12-10-10 at 04:55 PM.
    12-10-10 04:52 PM
    What kind of support do you expect RIM to provide? RIM already stated (at least to us) what is possible and what is not possible. I guess your rant is about the price of BlackBerry software. Hey, software development is not cheap.

You have not seen what Android VoIP is like. Yeah, there are some free SIP apps; but the hardware is so fragmented. Those apps work on some devices but not others. And since they are all open source, good luck trying to get that working on your Android if the app does not work out of the box. And beside, none of those Android SIP apps work on my new 10" Android Pad powered by an ARM processor.

Since you have been ranting. What is the fair price you are willing to pay for an BB app that could save you a few hundred bucks a year?
    What kind of support? How about support for their crappy dev apps they give you? How about asking them to give you a better platform if they want you to develop for them? Why are you paying your dev costs if you can't have that? Some of you just don't know how to be the squeaky wheel.
    12-10-10 05:09 PM
    I agree completely, but I haven't found a good free VoIP app for iPhone/iPod Touch either. Seems that the good free VoIP apps are all for android users.
    I currently use a fancy work around with Google Voice (the version iTunes denied) and SipGate on my ipod touch - it works, but it's freakin annoying as crap.
    I can see why carriers and RIM don't do have good VoIP apps tho - once I can use my WiFi for everything, why would I pay for carrier service? Except maybe for BBM.
    12-10-10 08:58 PM
    SCrid200,

--- Seems that the good free VoIP apps are all for android users.

I challenge you to get any (free/pay) Android VoIP app working on the zenithink ePad.
    Good luck. Because you are going to need it.
    12-10-10 11:04 PM
    What kind of support? How about support for their crappy dev apps they give you? How about asking them to give you a better platform if they want you to develop for them? Why are you paying your dev costs if you can't have that? Some of you just don't know how to be the squeaky wheel.
    I see. You are just a consumer.

On a side note. Why don't you ask Microsoft give you all their software for free. Better yet. Ask GM give the gas to run your GM cars too.
    Last edited by Aviator168; 12-10-10 at 11:09 PM.
    12-10-10 11:05 PM
    Aviator, I laugh at your post as I install a VirtualBox version of Chrome OS on my computer running Ubuntu. Oh, if you read this on CrackBerry (hosted for free) on your BlackBerry (which gets free os upgrades) you can download my (free) hybrid from the link in my sig.
    I'm just jokin, I believe devs should charge for software because of the investment of time they put into it.
    I didn't know there weren't any good/free VoIP clients for Android - guess there aren't any for anyone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-10 11:18 PM
    I agree completely, but I haven't found a good free VoIP app for iPhone/iPod Touch either. Seems that the good free VoIP apps are all for android users.
    I currently use a fancy work around with Google Voice (the version iTunes denied) and SipGate on my ipod touch - it works, but it's freakin annoying as crap.
    I can see why carriers and RIM don't do have good VoIP apps tho - once I can use my WiFi for everything, why would I pay for carrier service? Except maybe for BBM.
    That's because app availability is controlled on that platform. Only hope there is someone developing under Cedia/Jailbroken conditions and for some if not all devs, that's not lucrative enough or at all.

Also, I believe the Apple SDK on their platform is still quite controlling from what you can and cannot do. This limits your abilities way before you even have to worry if the app will be allowed or not.

12-11-10 01:41 AM
    I see. You are just a consumer.

On a side note. Why don't you ask Microsoft give you all their software for free. Better yet. Ask GM give the gas to run your GM cars too.
    You don't even make any sense in this post in regards to current discussion viewpoint.

12-11-10 01:44 AM
    What I meant is you guys all expect the apps to be free.
    These days. You can get a smart phone for very little money to a point that it is almost free. When people see the cost of the application is almost as much as the phone, they do want to pay for it.
    12-12-10 12:15 PM
    My 9650 wasn't almost free
    Cell phone companies make huge profits by you sticking on their service - that's a very good reason to entice people on with phones.
    In a perfect world, everything would be freely given and freely received, with kindness and concern for people over profits.
    Like that'll ever happen.

12-12-10 12:18 PM
    It's not really about the SIP client, just another RIM bashing angle...

12-12-10 01:20 PM
    JR, do you do anything but gripe? I have yet to see a post to the contrary.
    12-12-10 01:25 PM
    My 9650 wasn't almost free
    In a perfect world, everything would be freely given and freely received, with kindness and concern for people over profits.
    The world is already perfect. Just the people living in it are not.
    12-12-10 04:57 PM
    It's not really about the SIP client, just another RIM bashing angle...

This. I also doubt anybody here is surprised given the source...

12-12-10 05:20 PM
    Yup - it's strange too, cuz no platform seems to have a good voip app. How do you bash BB for that when all platforms have the same problem.
    12-12-10 08:28 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD