Everywhere you look, someone is coming out with an app that is for iPhone. Then it skips to android...Why is Blackberry being skipped over? I want the apps, too!! I love my blackberry, and I know that it's capable of having apps! All of the apps available to us are terrible. (graphics, functionality, and some just aren't sensible to actual use)

So...can anyone shed some light on this for me?
    11-03-10 10:15 PM
    1. Developers know that there isn't any money in developing bb apps compared to ios/android
    2. Lack of memory
    3.BB platform is a pain to develop for.
    11-03-10 11:09 PM
    1. Developers know that there isn't any money in developing bb apps compared to ios/android
    2. Lack of memory
    Well said..
    11-03-10 11:51 PM
    I look at it differently, only the best apps make it to blackberry filtering the junk in the progress. Ok, some of the junk
    There are some apps that started on blackberry and then moved to iphone and android.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-10 01:14 AM
    I too take a different look. What do people use their phones for? Facebook, email, calendar, texting, browsing, instant messaging, and GPS. That's a generalization, I know. But to that end, the BlackBerry platform handles all of these tasks without issue.

Now, the applications I used most on my nexus (Pandora, Facebook, Google Voice, and Dropbox) are available on the BlackBerry.

I look at it like this, BlackBerry means business. As in, you will see more business applications. I would love to see Words with Friends on the BB, though.

That's my take.
    11-04-10 07:39 AM
    i have a look at it that some of these apps that are coming out for iphone and android just arent needed in the bb world.

as far as i am concerned i don't need a lightsaber phone... so often all these "apps" are just games and honestly i own a sweet laptop and xbox for that. we have twitter, facebook (ya ya it sucks i know), and so on. the only thing that i can see we are missing are games and i'll stick to brickbreaker if i need a break from the world :P
    Last edited by Omegazab; 11-04-10 at 07:44 AM.
    11-04-10 07:42 AM
    I look at it differently, only the best apps make it to blackberry filtering the junk in the progress. Ok, some of the junk
    There are some apps that started on blackberry and then moved to iphone and android.

ESPN Sport Center?
    IMDB?
    Moviefone?
    WikiPedia?
    Yelp with monocle?

I could go on, There are alot of GOOD applications out there for Android and Apple. They aren't all press to fart apps.

Hey i got a one for you. Can you control your PC via your Blackberry with blue-tooth or over Wi-Fi? Come in REALLY hand when giving presentations.

11-04-10 07:46 AM
    2. Lack of memory
    This would be the correct answer ^
    11-04-10 07:48 AM
    ESPN Sport Center?
    IMDB?
    Moviefone?
    WikiPedia?
    Yelp with monocle?

I could go on, There are alot of GOOD applications out there for Android and Apple. They aren't all press to fart apps.

Hey i got a one for you. Can you control your PC via your Blackberry with blue-tooth or over Wi-Fi? Come in REALLY hand when giving presentations.

ESPN, IMDB, Moviephone, and WikiPedia all have mobile sites which can be used. RDM+ can be used to remote into PCs.

All of these web content publishers releasing smart phone applications is useless in my opinion. You can use the mobile site or even setup an RSS feed to get the same information.
    11-04-10 08:37 AM
    I have a great question. What application that is Not being offered for blackberry are you looking for. It would seem more effective if you had an example. Evidently the list for the other platforms are far larger because it is so much easier to develop apps for. Which boils down to their list being inundated and watered down with duplicate applications creating a even more difficult task of finding Quality.
    Personally I would never download an application, before I had a need for it.

Last edited by albee 1; 11-04-10 at 08:42 AM.
    11-04-10 08:38 AM
    ESPN Sport Center?
    IMDB?
    Moviefone?
    WikiPedia?
    Yelp with monocle?

I would add...

USA Today, and even E-Online (one of me and my wife's guilty pleasures).

Those have actual well thought out iPhone apps, while the BB only gets crappy browser links to a poorly laid out mobile site.

Sure, IMDB recently added a mobile-friendly version of their site, but it's way too limiting.

11-04-10 08:41 AM
    i have a look at it that some of these apps that are coming out for iphone and android just arent needed in the bb world.

as far as i am concerned i don't need a lightsaber phone... so often all these "apps" are just games and honestly i own a sweet laptop and xbox for that. we have twitter, facebook (ya ya it sucks i know), and so on. the only thing that i can see we are missing are games and i'll stick to brickbreaker if i need a break from the world :P
    ^^lol i love these type of comments......There are tons of useful apps for those that work in the Med/Law/Finance field....who are you to say what's needed in the bb world?
    11-04-10 09:42 AM
    I have a great question. What application that is Not being offered for blackberry are you looking for. It would seem more effective if you had an example. Evidently the list for the other platforms are far larger because it is so much easier to develop apps for. Which boils down to their list being inundated and watered down with duplicate applications creating a even more difficult task of finding Quality.
    Personally I would never download an application, before I had a need for it.

make a deal. you try to access the same information via the "mobile browser" and i'll do it on an application. We'll see who is faster.....

RMD+ = 39.95.

PreMoteDroid = Free. and works flawlessly.

and i think we are talking two different things. i'm talking using your track pad/ball as a mouse and use the key board to type. Not remote access the computer.

Last edited by mjneid; 11-04-10 at 10:31 AM.
    11-04-10 10:28 AM
    ^^lol i love these type of comments......There are tons of useful apps for those that work in the Med/Law/Finance field....who are you to say what's needed in the bb world?
    i was not saying that apps like the med/law or what ever aren't useful. im saying that i don't need my phone to be a gimick because of the apps or what the point of the original post is games. if you look up the "best" apps for those os are mostly games(at least if u google it). I use my phone for work school and my social life and that is one of the reasons why i have choose blackberry. I have owned a htc hero and it was fun. Android is a great os.
    11-04-10 10:45 AM
    i was not saying that apps like the med/law or what ever aren't useful. im saying that i don't need my phone to be a gimick because of the apps or what the point of the original post is games. if you look up the "best" apps for those os are mostly games(at least if u google it). I use my phone for work school and my social life and that is one of the reasons why i have choose blackberry. I have owned a htc hero and it was fun. Android is a great os.
    I just looked up the most downloaded apps for BB...Can you guess what the list consisted of? lol.... That's right games, social media, and messenger apps....
    11-04-10 11:00 AM
    Great argument mj, till your battery dies n the middle of a business presentation.

11-04-10 12:26 PM
    Great argument mj, till your battery dies n the middle of a business presentation.

You know if "The battery life" is the only drum you guys can beat on, the song gets pretty boring. only one note at a mellow dramatic tone.
    [sidenote]
    i get 2+ days out of my phone per charge
    [/sidenote]

11-04-10 12:37 PM
    Yeah I've heard you might get that after purchasing an extended life battery.

Form factor sucks. I don't want to look anxious every time I put my phone in my pocket. Big + bulky.

Touchscreens suck. I would never buy anything without a full qwerty.

User interface sucks. I can access and read my mail with the touch of 1 button and a click, before my gf can even get to her mailbox.

There are plenty more drums and a lot more songs if you want me to keep going.

If it works for you I'm glad. You can't sell me on something I like 2 things about.

Last edited by albee 1; 11-04-10 at 01:18 PM.
    11-04-10 01:14 PM
    You know if "The battery life" is the only drum you guys can beat on, the song gets pretty boring. only one note at a mellow dramatic tone.
    [sidenote]
    i get 2+ days out of my phone per charge
    [/sidenote]

You using Android or an iPhone? I find that pretty hard to believe. But, I can say that my BlackBerry gets me through the entire work day. From 5:00AM (when I take it off the dock) until 6:00PM when I get home from work.

That was not possible on the Evo or my Nexus. The Evo was almost completely worthless in terms of battery life. I'd get roughly 4-7 hours depending on what I was doing. I felt like I was tied to the charger.
    11-04-10 01:21 PM
    Form factor sucks. I don't want to look anxious every time I put my phone in my pocket. Big + bulky.
    User interface sucks. I can access and read my mail with the touch of 1 button and a click, before my gf can even get to her mailbox.
    If it works for you I'm glad. You can't sell me on something I like 2 things about.
    I will never try to slam a phone down your neck. Android, Apple, Blackberry, WinMo and the others all exist for reason. They have a following.
    And i am still rocking a factory battery. that is SEVERAL years old BTW.

anyway i'll be the darn first in line to tell you that Android isn't for everyone..

11-04-10 01:25 PM

and i think we are talking two different things. i'm talking using your track pad/ball as a mouse and use the key board to type. Not remote access the computer.

Not trying to get into the other arguments in this thread but there is one app like that. Mobimouse but I think it costs money. I got mine free.
    11-04-10 01:25 PM
    You using Android or an iPhone? I find that pretty hard to believe. But, I can say that my BlackBerry gets me through the entire work day. From 5:00AM (when I take it off the dock) until 6:00PM when I get home from work.

That was not possible on the Evo or my Nexus. The Evo was almost completely worthless in terms of battery life. I'd get roughly 4-7 hours depending on what I was doing. I felt like I was tied to the charger.
    I use a PV32B HTC Magic (T-mobile MyTouch) running CyanogenMod5, and i carry a 3rd Gen iPod Touch.3

you also have a "4G" radio and a massive Hi-Def screen powered by a super fast processor. You cannot keep the pedal to the metal and expect it to last all day. I bet if you turn 4G off, turn the screen down and underclock the phone when it is in standby and you'll get longer use times.

11-04-10 01:26 PM
    It's not developers its RIM OS
    11-04-10 01:40 PM
    Nope, I can easily go two days on a single charge. Sounds like you are misinformed. In general, Android battery life on most devices running stock software (besides most Motorola devices and mixed opinion on the Galaxy S line, HTC has a few as well) is not that great. But there are a few that shine in that department. Also, if you root and use custom ROMs, running Ultra low voltage kernels boost battery life by a ton.

This is just a preference. Not all are big. And most of the new devices are not bulky at all. The majority of the new devices are barely thicker than the 9700.

Is this because you suck at using them, or you never learned how to use one efficiently? I know QWERTYs have more shortcut abilities (had plenty of QWERTY devices), but with sacrifice comes other options.

It takes one touch after unlocking my screen to get to my inbox. How is your version quicker? This is done within 1 second. Sounds like you gf doesn't have her mail on the homescreen? Oh yea, that's another thing, I don't even need to open the inbox if I don't want. I can have widgets display my inbox on my homescreen. Even faster.

Exactly, whatever works for you is the best option.
    11-04-10 02:20 PM
    Personally, I've been looking for a Disneyworld app that has the maps, guide, wait times, fastpass avail. etc. At the moment there is only the Maps for BB. After some research, I found what I was looking for only to discover it was only available for I-phone and Android. Called up the company on the off chance that they had one for BB. No such luck, and it didn't sound as if they were to keen on one coming out soon.

Don't get me wrong, I love my BB. It rocks for my business. I haven't been at this long enough to know if there are apps that I really have to have, that I don't already have. That was just one I had looked for.
    Last edited by Red Rooster; 11-04-10 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph disclaimer
    11-04-10 02:56 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD