I've tried a few different ways to access my music collection when I'm mobile, from Sockso to setting up a VLC stream, and none of them have worked well at all.

Then the other day I was browsing the projects on Google Code Hosting, and found Ampacheberry, which led me to Ampache.

ampacheberry - Project Hosting on Google Code
    [A] m p a c h e : Pour l'Amour de la Musique depuis le 5 Mai 2001

Seriously, I can't even describe how kick @$$ this is without setting Crackberry's censoring software on fire or sounding like a 15 year old on Facebook with the OMFG's.

If you can get your geek on enough to install XAMPP on windows, or whatever you need on a Mac (if you're on Linux, you've already got your geek in high gear), then you can stream your entire library to your Berry, netbook, laptop, wahtever. Ampacheberry will build a playlist that opens up in the standard Media player, and away you go. Plus, Ampache has last.fm scrobble support.

I'm using it on my 8530, and it streams pretty well, but my desktop internet upstream is a bit slow. If you've got a decent uplaod pipe on your desktop, then it's freakin' awesome.

Not only that, with XAMPP installed, you've got a full web server, so you can also set it up to serve up your documents, video, FTP WebDav, OTA links for your apps/themes, whatever, so you have it on the go.

Seriously. Like, OMFG.
    09-07-10 01:49 PM
    I understand enough of that to be interested lol.
    How exactly do I make this work on my berry? No problem downloading the app, but how do I set it up on the netbook side (running 7)?
    Thanks in advance

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-10 11:12 PM
    Look at the Ampache wiki, its really pretty simple. First install XAMPP (link is in the wiki), then unpack apmache into the htdocks folder where you installed XAMPP, then follow the rest of the wiki.

Also, if you've got a router, you'll need to forward ports probably.

09-08-10 12:17 AM
    sickboy,
    Thanks for the nice writeup and plug for Ampacheberry (and Ampache or course). I recently uploaded the project, so it was a nice surprise to see your post. I've been a long time fan/user of Ampache and a recent BlackBerry convert. It didn't take long to get hooked on the BB, and shortly thereafter I knew I had to bring these two great platforms together. So I decided to dive into writing my first Java/BlackBerry app. It's not the flashiest app out there, but I'm pretty proud of my maiden voyage. I'm like you - blown away to have all my music streaming to the BB at my finger tips. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I'd be glad to help anyone out any way I can, be it with Ampache or Ampacheberry.
    09-08-10 11:43 PM
    Thanks for the awesome app, its already one of my favorites. Can't believe I hadn't heard of Ampache before, but since I stumbled across your project I'm totally blown away. Can't wait for my internet to get hooked up Friday so I can get a decent upload.

09-09-10 12:20 AM
    You can only use this when your computer is logged onto the net right?
    Can someone give a step by step of how to do this?
    09-09-10 05:05 PM
    Yeah, it streams from your PC, so it has to be on the net.
    The Ampache wiki is pretty straight-forward, so is xampp.
    My PC is in a box, but if I've got time this weekend I'll see if I can re-install it and take screenshots. But if you can follow directions to load an OS, you could do this as easily.

09-09-10 05:11 PM
    Looks like its similar to WinAmp remote.
    09-09-10 06:40 PM
    I was gonna install it, but than I realized that Winamp Remote is accessable from your BlackBerry browser, and that'll stream your entire music library as well if you want (and takes less setup).
    Hopefully they'll make a BB app.
    09-09-10 07:10 PM
    I won't reinvent the wheel, so here's the link to the Ampache install wiki to get you started. ampache.org/wiki/install:windows (Sorry it's not a full link. Throw an http in front of it. This CrackBerry newbie doesn't have enough posts to include a link!) Yes, it takes a little time and possibly some tinkering to get it all up and running, but if you commit the time to set this up and are willing to leave your home pc on, you won't be disappointed. And as sickboy mentioned, there are many other great uses to having a home server.

I don't know anything about Winamp Remote, but by a quick glance it looks like it's an Orb client. I'm sure this is a fine and effective method of streaming music, but it does use a 3rd party server, which means you'll be allowing Orb's servers to connect to your home computer in order to stream to your Berry. There's nothing wrong with this method, but many people, myself included, prefer to control their own files and computers as much as possible. Who knows what will happen to Orb tomorrow. Ampache is built on tried and tested web applications and methods that are hardened and will always be around. Lastly, Ampache's web interface is clean and convenient and is also great for streaming. I encourage people to try their hand at setting up Ampache. Feel free to ask questions if needed. I'm always willing to help out. If you like your music and like being able to access it wherever you are, I guarantee you'll be happy with Ampache. Oh, and I almost forgot, once you set this up, you get to score some major geek cred
    Last edited by kirkman.brian; 09-10-10 at 08:51 AM. Reason: grammar edit
    09-09-10 08:59 PM
    whoa!! i can't believe there's an app for the bb for this! i was highly looking forward to using lullaby on my soon to be android device to connect to my ampache server. thanks for the heads up on this...off to try it out
    09-10-10 06:54 AM
    bad news...Ampache 3.5 is required for Ampacheberry and most any client to work with Ampache. If you need any help upgrading, let me know. What distribution are you using? You'll have to do a manual upgrade if your distribution doesn't include the latest Ampache in its repositories. The manual upgrade is pretty straight forward. Just backup 3.4, download 3.5, untar, drop in place of 3.4, copy over your config settings from 3.4, and run through the setup on the web interface. The Ampache wiki does a pretty good job of stepping through the process. I think the biggest issue is that 3.5 will require a db update, but Ampache will take care of that on its own. Good luck.
    09-10-10 10:51 AM
    fixed. upgraded to latest ampache manually + a few other minor tweaks. works great now . thanks man & great job on bb app!
    Last edited by webmastir; 09-10-10 at 11:46 AM.
    09-10-10 10:58 AM
    Got it all set up! This IS sick!
    Had a hard time finding my ip, my apartment complex was trying to hide it from me well, at least the ip locators online were wrong.
    Thanks for the info sickboy
    09-11-10 08:00 PM
    I tried Winamp Remote before, and just didn't care for it. I'd rather be in control of what's streaming my media. Ampache also let's you have multiple users, link multiple servers, change the layout, and lots more.
    Plus you get all the other benefits of a full web server, and it uses pretty minimal resources.

09-11-10 08:08 PM
    So Ampache works great on my pc, and the blackberry app works, but the media player freezes up when I try to play the track. Anyone else have this issue?
    09-11-10 09:10 PM
    This is probably a streaming issue with the device and Media Player. Because of such, I hope to integrate a media player in Amapcheberry, but that's going to be a ways off. Let me ask a few questions. What's the error on the BlackBerry say? Are you streaming MP3s from Amapche? Can you stream other media such as Pandora on the BlackBerry? Lastly, you might need to set up downsampling in Ampache to 64 or 96 kbps. It might just be that your BlackBerry cannot stream from Ampache at the default file bitrate. Ampache has a howto on the wiki for setting up downsampling.
    09-12-10 03:03 PM
    So Ampache works great on my pc, and the blackberry app works, but the media player freezes up when I try to play the track. Anyone else have this issue?
    How did you get it to work with os6?
    10-13-10 06:14 PM
    I didn't have OS6 then. And if you read my post, I didn't get it to work
    10-13-10 06:23 PM
    To those that might still be following this thread, Ampacheberry has been updated to include an integrated media player, which is tested to work on OS6.
    12-27-10 12:14 AM
    this app sounds really good but i may be a bit slow to use it.. lol!
    12-27-10 11:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD